Volute?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
Sorry if I misspelled that.

I'm talking about the little buldge you sometimes see at the back of the neck where it joins the headstock. I have a Gib LP, and it has a three piece neck, with a volute. I occassionally see a MIJ on eBay with this feature, and I am very used to it, and quite like it.

I'd like to buy a MIJ LP, but if possible, I'd like it to have this feature.
What should I be looking for?
Tokai ever do this?
Seems I've only seen it on Grecos, and Burnys.
Sometimes though, they also have inlays that don't line up with the frets evenly, that would really bother me.
What is the best MIJ model to have this feature, ideally with the three piece neck, and a nice flame top?

My 1980 Greco LP custom (eg500) had it, had a slim neck though and i hated the neck but loved the rest of it.

HTH
Steve

My strange Burny SG, allegedly from the 70's (77) has that, and a three piece bolt-on(!) neck. The neck is quite nice, however I don't play it much as it needs a refret. This is a very odd model, here are some pics:
http://www.restless.no/Members/larseko/burny-sg77/photoalbum_view

The pickups aren't original, though. I guess Burny made models with a volute just when everybody else fancied them some time in the 70s.

By the way, if anybody know of that SG thing I'd be glad to know what it is. Might be a forgery for all that I know.

I have 2 late 70's Ibanez (Artist & Iceman) both of which have a volute. I know they aren't LP's, but the Artist is a kind of cross between an SG and an LP, sort of an SG with a carved maple cap and an LP control layout. If you can find an Ibanez 2619 (late 70's) or an AR300 ('80 on) then they're definitely worth considering, as the neck feel's like that of any LP, replica or otherwise.

The spec's are mahogany body/(plain) maple cap, maple neck & ebony board (2619/AR300), with MOP/Abalone block inlays and "Tri-sound" switching (coil tap/out of phase/standard humbucker) for each pickup. Sound-wise, they're real tone monsters. ;) My Artist is a single piece back and weighs an absolute ton, but just sounds and plays fantastic, a real keeper!

Worth considering.

I'd probably specifically look for late 70s/early 80s clones as it seems they were copying the volute aspect from Gibsons during that era. For what it's worth, I've only seen it on Greco's and Burny's, too.

As for the Ibanez, I know many people who love these things. Stylistically, just not for me. I'm a more classic guy.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for if I see the perfect Greco or Burny...

Hello,

Just found out about this great forum!

TSL, I'm a sucker for volutes too! But it's more out of necessity than anything. I bought 2 Burnys on Ebay (one RLG 90 LP Standard-style and one LP Custom-style).

Both arrived with broken headstocks!

I repaired the Standard with a new voluted headstock (the original one was completely crushed!) :

burny14gk.jpg

burny21px.jpg

burny30pq.jpg

I am now working on the Custom, with a voluteds backstrap overlay on the original headstock to make it stronger. Will post pics soon, hopefully.
I think a volute adds a bit of class to a guitar (not to mention strength at the headstock)

Cheers, and good luck!

sorry to hear of your misfortune! Sounds like it's all working out though.

I am surprised Volutes aren't more popular, I do like them very much.

TSL said:
sorry to hear of your misfortune! Sounds like it's all working out though.

I am surprised Volutes aren't more popular, I do like them very much.

I think that volutes have a bad rep because they were used by Gibson in the 70's at about the time most people feel Gibson quality was very poor.

I have read people describe them as "Infamous Gibsons with volutes", but I don't think a volute would contribute to a guitar being poorly made.
In fact, it may be the one thing these Gibsons had going for them!

(BTW, I'm no expert on Gibson history, so I might be wrong)

Hi Sunday,

As I mentioned at the top of this thread, I have a Gib LP "Kalamazoo Model" which I am EXTREMELY fond of, made during the "Norlin years". I had forgotten about all the trash they put out during that era until I asked others, and then the memories came back to my teenage years.

While the "KM" was SUPPOSSED to be a replica of the '57, it's a completely different beast. A wonderful beast, but different none the less. The thing they did do for that run though was to pay extra attention to choice of materials, and QC.

I must say, the new Gib's don't have the obvious problems of the late '70s, such as using whatever stray wood they had laying around for the tops of LP's, I do find I have to play ALOT of Gib's in any store to find one I like. There's just something slightly wrong with most of the ones I've encountered the last several years.

I will be back in the UK later this year, and think I know where to find some ObG, and Grecos there, so I'll likely get a MIJ then, but I do hope to find one with a volute. If I can only take my KM to special gigs, that would be great.

You know, Firebirds REALLY should have this feature, as you hear far more complaints about those headstocks breaking than you do LPs. Yours is not the first LP style I have heard of with a broken headstock though.

Latest posts

Back