Questions on modern Tokai Love Rock models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taketheflame

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping to learn some more about the modern Tokai Love Rock models, as I'm considering buying one. More specifically, I'm looking at the Premium series models (LC or LS numbered above 200).

I'm curious about the following...

1. The neck profile - how thick/thin do the necks tend to run? My ideal LP neck is somewhere around '59 specs, but some minor deviation is OK. I'm just trying to avoid super thin (like an SG I owned with the slimmest Gibson neck I've ever played) or "baseball bat" thick.

2. How are the lacquer finishes (nitro?) on the premium line? Is it all-lacquer or lacquer over poly? How is the feel compared to a Gibson?

As a general rule, I love the feel of the Gibson nitro finishes, but I couldn't deal with the poor QC any longer (mostly 2010s models) and am not in a position to pay for custom shop models, so I had to look into alternatives.

FWIW, I currently have an Edwards E-LP-130CD - it had flawless QC and it checks almost all the boxes - I just wish it had a nicer feeling finish on it (to be fair, I knew it wasn't nitro and wasn't expecting nitro at it's price point).

Input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Welcome.

Hard to say. Depends on the year and model. Some are even asymmetrical in profile.

If you are talking about new models, you may want to contact them directly. There is new ownership. I would be curious to see what they tell you.

Contacting Tokai

Latest posts

Back