Any recommendations?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWalker

Reaction score
I don't have an extensive knowledge of Tokai guitar models, so I'm hoping you can assist me in selecting my next guitar, specifically a Les Paul. My current favorite is a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Custom, which I appreciate for its slim, fast neck and aggressive sound. I've previously owned two Tokai guitars - a Made in Japan ES135, which I found to be exceptional, and a Modern Love Rock, also Made in Japan, in the LP Custom style. I didn't quite connect with the latter as much. While it was a high-quality guitar, I wasn't fond of the thicker neck and the warmer, more subdued PAF-style humbuckers. Can you offer any recommendations for Love Rock guitar models that might better suit my preferences?

Hard to say. With the pickups, they vary depending on the date of mfr and the model. Those are easy to swap out though.

As for necks, I am not sure. My hands are decent size and I never paid much attention to neck thickness since I had a 1919 Gibson L3 that was like a baseball bat and I adjusted to it.

Also, Japanese people tend to have smaller hands and as a general rule the neck thickness tends to run thinner than Gibson.

Also, Tokai started making an asymmetrical neck. Something to watch for when you look at specs.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Would be great if Tokai had published neck profiles all the way along.

All of my Tokais have been mid 90s and older.

You will probably need to ask the individual sellers to measure.

You might want to PM member guitar hiro? He has measured a lot of Tokai and other necks and has preferences. Good person to ask.

Back