Using a Treble Booster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
I bought a treble boost, a BSM RM, and I want to ask anyone who uses one of these or similar what they think of it.

The only amp out of the seven valve amps I own it works well on is a Marshall 50w 2204, that late 70's master volume model with the big logo. The way it sounds interesting is to put it through the normal channel, crank the master volume to about 7, pre amp all the way up to 10, THD Hot Plate at -8db, through a late 60s Marshall cab played on a 1978 Les Paul Reborn with all the Jimmy Page mods, push pulls on all the tones and volumes so I can make it into single coils, reverse phase, in series etc.

BUT Is it me or am I missing something about treble boosters and the magic they are supposed to work? Using the above settings there is such a drop in bass I loose masses of bottom end. With guitar tone controls full up it wants to rip off my face so they have to be rolled down to 5. If I turn the pedal off the sound is total crud, so I guess the idea is to keep the pedal on at all times and use the guitars volume to change the drive. This makes it really limiting to use with other pedals.

Without using the treble boost, using the HIGH input I can roll the preamp volume to 3, crank the master colume to 7 or 8, guitar tones full up, getting a really similar sound without the loss of bass. I cant work out what the fuss is all about right now so I was wondering if someone can enlighten me. Add compression and its even better, chiming and tight sounding.

I have a Marshall 100w Super PA made in 1971 and it sounds pretty bad through that I have to say, the one amp I thought would work really well with it. It's terrible through the Orange TTerror, boring through a Sims Watt 100.... what's going wrong here or am I overlloking some settings or something??

Treble Boosters are meant to give a slight db boost whilst significantly changing the tone for solos.
Myself,I use a Behrenger boost pedal and so long as it's the last thing between me and my amp it works brilliantly.
But put it in the wrong order in the effects chain and it actually CUTS the treble/signal level.
Boost pedals work well if you use them correctly...i'e'...THE LAST EFFECT GOING TO YOUR AMP FROM YOUR EFFECTS CHAIN.
If it still doesn't work maybe you need a dedicated db boost..like a Duncan?

Hi Barry,

I experimented with treble boosters a lot a couple years ago but haven't really used any recently. It's true that they are very amp particular, but I've always had good luck with the old-style Marshall circuit. I'm surprised the Super PA didn't work out for you.

I know what you're saying about the EQ-ing issues as well. For my purposes a foot switchable treble booster is pretty much useless. Like you said, to get the sound you want with the booster on you have to roll the highs off your amp and jack the bass. As soon as you shut the pedal off it's mud city! Dallas had it right when the built the originals, no footswitch, stick up on top of the amp and leave it on all the time.

For my tastes I would leave the booster on all the time and roll off the guitar volume to clean up your sound. If you just want a treble boost for solos I'd go with the tried and true late 60's early 70's technique of stepping on a wah and dial in to taste a la Jimmy Page.

My two cents anyhow...

Good luck!

Jim

Latest posts

Back