Changing Pots On My 1979 Tokai LS60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkymojo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Sadly 3 pots on my 1979 LS60 has spoilt. The shafts have loosen and couldn't be used anymore. The plastic disc inside the pots have disintegrated into tiny bits. It has the PCB board. The 3 faulty pots are 1 tone and 2 volume. I've removed the PCB board and found out that the 2 tone pots are labeled A500K and the 1 volume pot is labelled B500k. I know that the volume is linear taper and tone audio taper. Should I get the replacement pots all audio taper or audio taper for the tone pots and linear pot for the volume as per original specs? The funny thing is that the volume pots doesn't sound like a linear pot doesn't sound like one. It sounds more like an audio taper pot to my ears. Very gradual taper. So what new pots should I get? Thanks for taking the time to read my post...

Some related stuff in this thread if you are willing to wade through the unrelated stuff on Strats.

Re-Wiring Your Tokais
Thanks. I've read that. Just wondering if I should get a linear taper 500k pot so it's similar to the original spec or get an audio taper 500k pot. Cos honestly, I've not used any linear taper pot on my guitars. Didn't know the LS60 had linear taper 500k pot for the volume because it doesn't sound like a linear taper pot at all. From my past experiences, almost all linear taper pots sound like on/off switches but not this old Noble 500k linear taper pot. It sounds very much like an audio taper pot. Thanks...

You might experiment. I know my 1981 LS100 has both, but many of the Springys & Goldstars I have seen only have audio taper pots.

You might experiment. I know my 1981 LS100 has both, but many of the Springys & Goldstars I have seen only have audio taper pots.
You're the Tokai expert. I've always read your posts. Thanks for the reply. You mean your 1981 LS100 has all 500k Noble audio taper pots? As for Tokai Springysnamd Goldstars I have no experience. Never owned any. I think the Spingys and Goldstars follow their Fender counterparts. Cos if I remember correctly, Fender Strats all came with only audio taper pots. Thanks...

I am not an expert. Just keeping the lights on and warming the seat until the real one comes along.

And no, my LS100 has both A and B. I know because I had to replace one of the volume pots because the shaft blew out. Otherwise, they are hard to see with the PCB board in the way and the markings are on the side on Noble pots.

And I have also seen linear volume pots on Springys. My point is that it is not consistent.

Last edited:
As I said, I would experiment. Everyone has different tastes and pots are cheap.

Breezys notoriously had 1Meg pots which was Fender correct for many years, but not always the best for the tone in a Tokai.

@Funkymojo I agree with Sigmania; experimentation with pot options is likely the way to go. (y)

I have a (special to me) MIJ LP Standard type guitar from circa 2000 that is completely original.
All 4 pots are labeled NOBLE 15A500K and these pots are the easiest pots to turn; very low friction.
I have noticed that this particular maker typically uses 15A500K pots for both tone & volume for pretty much every LP type I have seen from their circa 1998 to 2005 era. Don't know why they made that choice.

What's crazy about this Les Paul is the neck is a bit thinner than I prefer but the pots in this example are just a dream to use; they are so easy to turn. The ease of use of the pots makes this guitar one of my main go to guitars even though the neck isn't quite what I prefer. Guitars can be crazy like that.
I wish every guitar I ever owned had pots like these. :cool:

Good luck with your pot replacement journey .......

I am not an expert. Just keeping the lights on and warming the seat until the real one comes along.

And no, my LS100 has both A and B. I know because I had to replace one of the volume pots because the shaft blew out. Otherwise, they are hard to see with the PCB board in the way and the markings are on the side on Noble pots.

And I have also seen linear volume pots on Springys. My point is that it is not consistent.
Thanks again. Well to me you seem to know a lot about vintage Tokai guitars. Yes I've removed the PCB board on my LS60. Only then did I see the side of the Noble pots saw that the volume pot is B500K linear pot. Was kinda surprised because it didn't have the usual linear pot taper. It felt more like an audio taper pot. Thanks...

You gotta understand, “Tokai expert” is kind of a bad name. Anyone that has been around these guitars long enough knows there are always surprises and the rules we all seem to make up for them are often violated by Tokai. lol.

I would say experiment and see what you like best.

@Funkymojo I agree with Sigmania; experimentation with pot options is likely the way to go. (y)

I have a (special to me) MIJ LP Standard type guitar from circa 2000 that is completely original.
All 4 pots are labeled NOBLE 15A500K and these pots are the easiest pots to turn; very low friction.
I have noticed that this particular maker typically uses 15A500K pots for both tone & volume for pretty much every LP type I have seen from their circa 1998 to 2005 era. Don't know why they made that choice.

What's crazy about this Les Paul is the neck is a bit thinner than I prefer but the pots in this example are just a dream to use; they are so easy to turn. The ease of use of the pots makes this guitar one of my main go to guitars even though the neck isn't quite what I prefer. Guitars can be crazy like that.
I wish every guitar I ever owned had pots like these. :cool:

Good luck with your pot replacement journey .......
Thanks for the reply. I know for MIJ guitars. They are full of surprises. Yes I have a 2004 Bacchus Vintage Series Telecaster. It has A250K Noble pots for both volume and tone. But for older 78-80s Tokai LS models with PCB board. I was reading over at this forum that most had 2 B500K Noble pots for volume and 2 A500K Noble pots for tone including my 1979 LS60. I'm just very surprised that the linear taper Noble pot has a very similar taper to audio taper pots. I will experiment with different pots but it's a chore to solder and disorder the PCB board and I do intend to use the PCB board with different new pots. Hahahahaha. Thanks everyone for the replies...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I know for MIJ guitars. They are full of surprises. Yes I have a 2004 Bacchus Vintage Series Telecaster. It has A250K Noble pots for both volume and tone. But for older 78-80s Tokai LS models with PCB board. I was reading over at this forum that most had 2 B500K Noble pots for volume and 2 A500K Noble pots for tone including my 1970 LS60. I'm just very surprised that the linear taper Noble pot has a very similar taper to audio taper pots. I will experiment with different pots but it's a chore to solder and disorder the PCB board and I do intend to use the PCB board with different new pots. Hahahahaha. Thanks everyone for the replies...

Yes, it is a chore and IMO it isn't particularly fun but the end result is ultimately the payoff. :D

If I were in your shoes and having to de-solder the pot lugs from the PCB I would just 86 the PCB but then that's just the approach I would take.

Maintaining the PCB is certainly possible but the extra work and the extra PITA wouldn't be worth it to me.
If you want it to be more/less original than you may want to go that route.

Whatever route you take, best of luck.

Yes, it is a chore and IMO it isn't particularly fun but the end result is ultimately the payoff. :D

If I were in your shoes and having to de-solder the pot lugs from the PCB I would just 86 the PCB but then that's just the approach I would take.

Maintaining the PCB is certainly possible but the extra work and the extra PITA wouldn't be worth it to me.
If you want it to be more/less original than you may want to go that route.

Whatever route you take, best of luck.
True that. I see the term 86 the PCB board a couple of times on this forum. 86 means get rid of the PCB board and not use it? Hahahaha or 86 was the year Tokai stopped using the PCB board on their LS series of guitars?

What would you suggest to roll back fuzz on the volume? Taper?

Here is a helpful video and gets into the issue of an A pot sounding like a linear pot. I have also heard about the opposite case (B sounding like audio taper). Some inconsistency with some mfrs it seems.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to keep the PCB board. I got 4 new ALPS pots. 2 B500k for volume and 2 A500K for tone just like the original Noble pots. I really like the taper of the ALPS pots, it's very similar to the Noble pots. Built quality is really good. It's sturdy and it has slightly more torque when you turn the pots compared to the Noble pots, which I prefer. I find the Noble pots lacking any resistance when you turn it, which I'm not really a fan of. Once again, thank you everyone for helping me out....

Back