Two questions regarding a 1985 AST-56

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigG94

Reaction score
1. I've lost ... and just as soon as I order a new one, I'll of course find it ... the whammy bar for my 1985 AST-56. I really don't want to spend $60 (last price I saw) for an original one, is there a modern replacement that would work? (My son just had to get a new one too for his Mexican Strat, I checked to see if his would fit mine but the threaded tip was too large, will take a smaller one.

2. I know that I'll have to remove the pickguard to know for sure, but does anyone have an idea whether the '85 AST-56 has an S/S/S rout or a larger bridge rout that would accommodate a humbucker? I've looked online and gotten conflicting info. I'm interested in maybe doing something different with the pickup arrangement, but I'm not inclined to do any chiseling on the guitar, doing something different isn't THAT important to me.

Whammy is 6mm thread and you will have to lift the pickguard to see the routing layout.

mdvineng said:
Whammy is 6mm thread and you will have to lift the pickguard to see the routing layout.

Thanks, I figured I would ultimately have to do that with pickguard. As noted if is s/s/s leaving it alone.

Back