Tokai ls92 upgrades advices needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xMax_X

Reaction score
Hi ! So a couple months ago I bought a wonderful tokai ls92 goldtop to replace a 2012 gibson les paul standard goldtop that I needed to sell.

The gibson came with locking tuners, which I really like for the ease and quickness to change strings. It also came with burstbuckers pro with coil split.The tokai came with vintage tuners. They attach to the headstock with 2 screws each under the headstock ( One above and one under ).
All locking tuners I seem to find only have one screw ? Does it still work to install them ? Anyone have experience with lets say gotoh locking tuners or schaller ?

Also, to the opposite of popular tastes, I don't really like the bridge pickup. I find it harsh, too bright... honky in the mids and with no bass at all. Some say they are 2 different pickups that comes with either the low end tokai or high end ones... Maybe I got the bad one ? ...I would also like to be able to coil split. There are so many pickups out there and I find myself in a place where theres too much possibilities...

PAF : Dimarzio 36th, SD antiquities, SD Pearly Gates, SD Seth Lover, Lollar PAF, Bare Knuckles ... ( which are a lot more pricy )
A little more output : SD 78, SD alternative 8, Sd 59/custom hybrid, Bare Knuckle Abraxas...

Anyone has advice regarding the locking tuners and the pickup change ?

Thanks!

The tuners you have are probably gotoh and they make a direct replacement that are locking the SD90MG I think that is what they are called. Pickups are very subjective you will have to read up a lot and make a decision based on how much money you want to spend.

I can't compare with the other pickups on your list but I have bareknuckle mules in both positions on my love rock and they are sheer perfection.

Naturally you can buy them with 4-core wiring for splitting (or parallel coil wiring... have you considered that as an option?)

Latest posts

Back