ES100 - Do I Need New Tuners?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
I have this delightful ES100 from 2001 which badly needed some TLC.

I am on a mission to get this to the level it deserves. Its got a '59 neck (which was hard to find believe me) and I have a synergy with it, as it plays beautifully. After failing electronics prompted a cash injection, I put new unpotted Bare Knuckle PAFs and a really high quality wiring loom. It now sounds really fantastic with loads of chime and clarity, but it WILL NOT stay in tune. I spend so much time tuning, it's driving me absolutely mad.

The tuners are locking (a little pin that lifts to trap the string) and as you can see have been butchered by whoever has owned it before me, not understanding how they work. When stretching in new strings (pulling a string under tension), you could see them move. Now after a few days of playing, things are better, but all I ever do is tune the bloody thing.

Q. Can tuners be serviced?
Q. Are these locking tuners actually any good to start with? (its the only guitar I have with them)
Q. If they are shot, will a standard replacement set fit?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice guitar.

I don't use these, but it looks to me like you are cutting your strings too short and not getting enough wrap around the post.

I would not rely on that lock and cranking the lock down on the strings.

Just get more of a wrap like a normal tuner and see how it works.

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 6.34.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 6.34.51 AM.png

, but it looks to me like you are cutting your strings too short
Thanks for that. I think I need to get a new set on there.

I have also noticed that with the 'top wrapping' it also causes the sound to get rather rattly, like string buzz. Is this normal for top wrapping?

I had the rewiring done by a tech, he put a set of Rotosound strings that came free with the pickups I bought and top wrapped it, but I am thinking the break angle isn't sufficient (even though the stop bar is screwed in as low as possible) and its the cause of a lot of rattle?

Back