LS320 Pickup advice.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have given a fair shot to the pickups in my 78’ LS 60, those will have to be replaced. They’re surprisingly low output. In fact, even in appearance from the side they look way under wound. I’m not sure if this was common for that era of LS models, but I’ll be putting DiMarzio 36th anniversaries in and see how they compare to the MK-2’s. I wish I had seen the Reverb set before I bought the DiMarzios!

The Dimarzio's that came stock in my old 81 ES150R were around 7.8-8.0k but were way under powered, very low output compared to all my other humbucking guitars. Maybe they used weaker magnets back then or they lost their charge.
The Keyo's I have put in my LP have readings of 7.5 and 11.5 but they are perfectly matched in output...the DC resistance of the bridge bears no resemblance to the output. It's a little hotter than the neck but balances out for a great middle sound. All I can say is they are staying in the guitar. They are clear and bright but without the spike and playing clean on the bridge pickup is really addictive. That guitar has had a lot of good pickups in it trying to get that extra 5%. I feel I am there, seems crazy to me!
I have used 36th's in a LP and they are really good pickups, a little more mids than some PAF's but just enough to sound full but not muddy.

Last edited:
I have given a fair shot to the pickups in my 78’ LS 60, those will have to be replaced. They’re surprisingly low output. In fact, even in appearance from the side they look way under wound. I’m not sure if this was common for that era of LS models, but I’ll be putting DiMarzio 36th anniversaries in and see how they compare to the MK-2’s. I wish I had seen the Reverb set before I bought the DiMarzios!
In 1978 there was not much info on the pickups Tokai put in guitars either.

In the LS60, they just called them LS-B type" pickups.

They were generic looking as well, although some LS60s in 1978 had ones marked with an X like these:

Tokai Humbucker Models & Resistance

87f071ac57be91424e5944e80fa0dc9c.jpg
"

Pic of the Keyio's in the guitar...a bit too shiny but next string change I will age the covers.20230221_190059.jpg

Last edited:
Man that's a beauty!

You have some sweet guitars! I saw older posts of yours with 3 different ES guitars. Very nice.

I have a completely bone stock/original 2000 LS-320 with original Seth Lover pups

I would never think of replacing them because they sound like they were meant to be in the guitar :)

LS-320 tenon.jpg

I have a completely bone stock/original 2000 LS-320 with original Seth Lover pups

I would never think of replacing them because they sound like they were meant to be in the guitar :)

View attachment 8408
Brilliant!
I thought mine was supposed to have Seth Lovers too but I have to admit these Keiyo's in "my" guitar sound phenomenal.......so you got lucky with Seth's and I got lucky with Keiyo's.......albeit 20 years later!

I wish I still had my 320 but it funded a guitar I am in love with.

Last edited:
In this guitar these Keiyo pickups are magical.........blown away.

Pickups new....well 20 years old but never used.

Replica new Keiyos.jpg

After aging.....will get better with use and look more natural.

Replica aged Keiyo's.jpg

Eagle eyes will notice correct shape pickup covers installed when I aged the pickups...courtesy of OTPG.

Last edited:
My 2004 LS-320 also shipped with Seth Lovers. I don't think I knew there was any other option/choice back then.

(I'd also bought a Yamaha push-push pot and asked Tokai if they would include a phase swap, but the answer was a diplomatic "no"!)

My 2004 LS-320 also shipped with Seth Lovers. I don't think I knew there was any other option/choice back then.

(I'd also bought a Yamaha push-push pot and asked Tokai if they would include a phase swap, but the answer was a diplomatic "no"!)

It is a mystery...it came thru the UK distributors at the time. In fact they sent 2 up to choose from, one was a lemonburst almost and the other a cherry red. I liked the look of the lemonburst but the cherry played and felt a bit better so I went for that one. They were new and not demo guitars.
Although it took me 20 years or so to try the pickups I'm really glad I did. It was only the curiosity of seeing them every time I searched thru my parts drawers that made me try them. So pleased I did!

I use Yamaha push/push if ever I need that type of switch, a million times better than trying to pull a switch up with sweaty hands.

I hope you don't mind me inserting this here.....monster player who almost always plays his Tokai LS115 with stock Mk2 pickups.

Last edited:
Back