LS320 Pickup advice.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianGT

Reaction score
Hello!
It's been a long time since I posted and my first post back is looking for help.

I bought a new LS320 thru the distributor in the UK via my friends music store. It was around 2004-5.
Whilst the guitar was on it's way up I also bought a pair of BKP pickups, a Mule and a Stormy Monday and I fitted them almost the same day I received the guitar. I took the original pickups out complete with cellophane cover and put them in a drawer and completely forgot about them.

I sold the guitar around 2009 to fund a replica. I understand they were supposed to come with SD Seth Lovers but the pickups have zero markings on them. I have a set of Seth's in a Les Paul and they have the usual SD markings and are around 7.7k neck and 8.0k bridge.
These pickups are 7.5k neck and 11.5k bridge.
I have put them in to a Yamaha SG1820 that came with SD 59's. I like the Tokai pickups better. The neck is plummy yet clear and feels like A2 the bridge is tighter and feels like A5, but I am guessing on both.

They don't look like the MK2's in my ES135 or the later ones in the ES158 which are both recognisably Tokai.

They sound really good, the bridge trebles are amazing...no spike and it's really nice on the top strings above the 12fret played clean where they sound so sweet...that's hard to do.
They have a little more mids than the 59's.

I'm very happy with them buy have no idea what they are!! Help!

Thanks for reading....

LS320 pickup.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!

I believe they are the Keiyo Mk2's you tagged above. The covers are deeper and the solder is not on the edge of the cover but deeper down. The DC resistance matches too.

You mentioned you have them in your Navigator "and they are the best pickups you have tried"....well I am going to agree with you!

The Mk2's in my 2011 ES135 have the hole in the base plate and the solder is level with the cover and base plate. They have regular PAF DC's. Those pickups have seen around 5 sets of "boutique and better" pickups off.....and they just sound great in that guitar and I like that it stays original too.

I was worried about the 11.5k resistance of the bridge but it matches the 7.5 of the neck perfectly and the middle sound is gorgeous. I'm an old fogey and I'm not easily impressed but these have blown me away.

So much so that I am thinking of trying them in my replica and if I like them I will fit aged covers to match the rest of the guitar.

Thank you for your help and your comment about your Navigator echoed my own findings!

Last edited:
You’re welcome. And that Navigator quote was taken from the thread linked. Not my guitar.

Some people really love these Keiyos. Glad to help solve your mystery.

You’re welcome. And that Navigator quote was taken from the thread linked. Not my guitar.

Some people really love these Keiyos. Glad to help solve your mystery.

I'm very grateful for your help, I didn't like knowing I loved them but didn't know what they were!

If I try them in my replica I will let you know, it currently has the original PAF Daddies in from 2011 when it was built.

I just found and translated this. Really helpful and seems to solve a long running mystery.

KEIYOピックアップ、取り扱い開始! - ナインボルトワールドレポート  Ninevolt World Report

Translation:

2010-03-19

KEIYO Pickup now available!

A few years ago, when I was just starting out (even now), I really wanted a Keiyo pickup from an acquaintance of mine in Singapore. I was asked if I could help.

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know the manufacturer KEIYO at the time, but later I found out that he was an amazing manufacturer. The most important brand in the early days of Japanese electric guitars, TEISCO, is the first electric guitar in TEISCO.

(As for this area, I think that the blog of a Japanese vintage guitar maniac will be more detailed, so I will omit it.)

As for the actual lineup, single size

The TDL-N/TDN-B for Telecasters are twin-blade pickups featuring a powerful and clear sound.

Designed to take full advantage of the unique characteristics of the Telecaster. One way to create a “vintage sound” pickup is to follow a classical and traditional method.

However, in the case of Keiyo pickups, which are originally made with a focus on materials and are made with even higher technology, by adopting a unique method from there, the pickup "SS-1" can create a vintage sound no matter what guitar you put it on. was successfully developed. You can choose from 4 different pickup cover colors, so you can match the look of your guitar!

Humbuckers

Humbuckers come in two lineups, CP-1 and CP-2!

Both were developed in pursuit of the sound of vintage PAF models, but the CP-1 is made with a more modern feel, while the CP-2 is a complete vintage model. It is made in search of the sound.

Choose the CP-1 for a more modern PAF sound, or the CP-2 for an old-school sound.

It might be a good idea to separate the front and rear. KEIYO has a lineup of classic models, but all of them are made with carefully selected materials and the best of techniques.

There are surprisingly few pickups made in Japan, but I think that the craftsmanship of making pickups is suitable for Japanese people.

Please try it!

With coupons every time!

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.19.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.23.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.23.44 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.19.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.19.33 AM.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.23.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.23.32 AM.png
    312.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.23.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.23.44 AM.png
    387.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9365.jpeg
    IMG_9365.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9366.jpeg
    IMG_9366.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9367.jpeg
    IMG_9367.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
Brian, I have tried four different boutique pickups on mine (2003 one off special order) and came back to Antiquities, (P90s), Wolfetones (which I love and have all PAF style models) sound very brigth on this guitar.

But the most superlative PAF style I have are Rolph 58 Pretenders(not the 59). I understood why Tokai is matching the highest LS with them, they are fantastic.

Last edited:
See this page:

Tokai Humbucker Models & Resistance

By 2011 there were other pickups in Tokais that looked like these with steel braided cable.

Notably "The 59" in a Hibiki model.

35ad142fdf52e15c9d1babcbfec0469d.png

Also MK2-S but they had silver screws I believe.

aad185a61beee6b001a609eac8f59b83.jpg

What is the resistance?

Tokai-ES158-pickup.jpg

2016 ES158 7.5 and 11.3k......but they sound different to the ones I first posted and the solder and cover are almost level with the base plate. Covers are squarer.

Read the older threads linked. There may have been issues with the magnet strength in some of these Keiyos.

I personally don't know. Just sharing what others posted.

Tokai-ES158-pickup.jpg

2016 ES158 7.5 and 11.3k......but they sound different to the ones I first posted and the solder and cover are almost level with the base plate. Covers are squarer.
This is also 10-12 years later.

Brian, I have tried four different boutique pickups on mine (2003 one off special order) and came back to Antiquities, (P90s), Wolfetones (which I love and have all PAF style models) sound very brigth on this guitar.

But the most superlative PAF style I have are Rolph 58 Pretenders(not the 59). I understood why Tokai is matching the highes LS with them, they are fantastic.

Hi Luis,
Thank you!
I find Antiquities to be too bright in various guitars. A friend has Rolph 58's in a guitar and they are superb but alas out of my price range now I am retired.

I am loving these Keiyo's in my Yamaha SG and I know I am going to put them in my replica.

I do wish I had kept my LS320....it was a great guitar but weighed 10lbs.

Last edited:
You're welcome and thank you. Not much is known about these, and you asking the question led me to find that info on the Keiyo models. Really appreciate it.

Well curiosity got the better of me and they are in my Replica LP.

It's early days but I am hearing what I heard in the Yamaha SG1820...fat, sweet trebles but not dull or spikey. Sounds like I have gone up to 11's on the treble strings.
The neck is a bit plummy but with some adjustment to the pole pieces and height I am sure I can dial that out. I rarely play on the neck pickup anyway.
The balance in output is perfect for the middle setting.
So far I'm very happy!

For what it’s worth, I think the modern Tokai MK-2 pickups sound great. My LS with Monty’s PAF’s sounds nearly identical to the LS with MK-2’s. I feel we tend to swap out pickups before we give them a fair shot at what they are capable of. In fact, a saw a set of MK-2’s for sale on Reverb for very little money. In my estimation they’re a steal if you need them. (No affiliation with those btw)

For what it’s worth, I think the modern Tokai MK-2 pickups sound great. My LS with Monty’s PAF’s sounds nearly identical to the LS with MK-2’s. I feel we tend to swap out pickups before we give them a fair shot at what they are capable of. In fact, a saw a set of MK-2’s for sale on Reverb for very little money. In my estimation they’re a steal if you need them. (No affiliation with those btw)

I totally agree about changing pickups before they get a fair shot. I can't even remember playing these 320's before I had BKP's installed! It was a natural thing to do back then to replace "the std. Jap pickups with something better"...20 years later they are in my number one and I am blown away by how they suit this guitar. There is a halo and a chime to them that is almost chorus like when played clean.

The MK2's in my 135 from 2011 have stayed in despite trying various booteek pickups. They just suit that guitar.

I have given a fair shot to the pickups in my 78’ LS 60, those will have to be replaced. They’re surprisingly low output. In fact, even in appearance from the side they look way under wound. I’m not sure if this was common for that era of LS models, but I’ll be putting DiMarzio 36th anniversaries in and see how they compare to the MK-2’s. I wish I had seen the Reverb set before I bought the DiMarzios!

Back