My about-to-ben\acquisition

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepacifist

Reaction score
Hey ppl,
Kurosawa just sent the the pics of my would-be LS150. I'm floored with how good the guitar looks.
However, I "notice" some darkish streaks on the maple top (like birds-eyes but not exactly eyes) which are visible on the pics I've attached.

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/thepacifist20130/Tokai%20LS150/

Are these ok as just "grain"?

thepacifist said:
Hey ppl,
Kurosawa just sent the the pics of my would-be LS150. I'm floored with how good the guitar looks.
However, I "notice" some darkish streaks on the maple top (like birds-eyes but not exactly eyes) which are visible on the pics I've attached.

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/thepacifist20130/Tokai%20LS150/

Are these ok as just "grain"?

Maybe some small mineral streaks which are common in maple. It's just cosmetic and won't affect the sound. If it bothers you, you could ask if they could pick a different guitar. Couldn't hurt to ask:)

Indeed, it is only cosmetic. It is a beautiful plain top and the guitar sure looks great. I also noted a very nice fretboard with a good mixture between black, dark brown and lighter brown. Usually these fretboards sound very good with notes that jump out like glass. The one piece back also looks stunning so I would go for it :)

I can only give you my own opinion, most people wouldn't care about the marks but I would concider it a blem and would ask for another guitar. This is wood that would not make it past inspectors at, lets say, PRS. I was going to say gibson but I've seen some shabby stuff come out of Gibson. :lol:

I LOVE mineral deposits in maple! Sometimes those lines are caused from minerals and other times due to the maple sitting out and getting some moisture on it. Essentially known as Spalted Maple but that type of maple is done intentionally and is an art to get it right without allowing the wood to rot in the process. I am sure those are just mineral deposits and it is a **** nice looking top! Are you going to pull the trigger on it? :)

e-classics said:
I can only give you my own opinion, most people wouldn't care about the marks but I would concider it a blem and would ask for another guitar. This is wood that would not make it past inspectors at, lets say, PRS. I was going to say gibson but I've seen some shabby stuff come out of Gibson. :lol:

I respectfully disagree. The mineral flecks give it some vintage flavor IMHO, but the choice is yours. Good luck.

e-classics said:

I wouldn't consider mineral streaks a blem - to me they are desirable.
It's a much more natural look than the over the top enhanced flame on a PRS/R9.

Thanks guys !
I loved the look but was worried whether this would be deterimentalto the tone......

And yeah, I've already pulled the trigger on this one..only the formalities remain ! :D

thepacifist said:
Thanks guys !
I loved the look but was worried whether this would be deterimentalto the tone......

And yeah, I've already pulled the trigger on this one..only the formalities remain ! :D

When you get the package and open the case, I think you'll be a very happy camper :D

e-classics said:

I would disagree with that statement completely, i have seen PRS guitars with natural markings in the grain and it is something a lot of guys like as it adds character. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that wood..

Mick

JVsearch said:
e-classics said:

I wouldn't consider mineral streaks a blem - to me they are desirable.
It's a much more natural look than the over the top enhanced flame on a PRS/R9.

Agreed... :wink:

Mick

dalemajd said:
that is beautiful

where are u buying this from mate?
Kurosawa, Japan
Miuko is the person I have been dealing with and he has been very polite and efficient with the emails.

thepacifist said:

Not at all. I've found that cosmetic variations are quickly forgotten when I put my first dent or chip in the finish..... :wink:

leadguitar_323 said:
e-classics said:

I would disagree with that statement completely, i have seen PRS guitars with natural markings in the grain and it is something a lot of guys like as it adds character. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that wood..

Mick

Ok folks, we?re sounding a little defensive here. Like I said, it?s my opinion, it?s not right or wrong, it?s a mater of taste.

BTW I live close to PRS (it?s in Stevensville MD) and I have talked to Paul and know some of the guys in the shop. I have owned several PRS?s and have never seen one (that came out the front door, the employees make some out of wood that gets discarded) that had stains on the top. Those would typically get painted.

As Udonitron points out you typically see beautiful mineral stains in wood like spalted maple where it is evenly spread throughout the body and makes for a breathtaking look (like my Moonstone explorer). There?s nothing wrong with it being on the top of a beautiful Les Paul. I just happen to like my Les Paul to either be very flamed or quilted or to very plain with a nice red burst.

mattim said:
dalemajd said:
do u have a link for this Kurosawa store mate?

I ordered my LS150 from Kurosawagakki using Rakuten portal, http://en.item.rakuten.com/k-gakki/tok-ls150-vf/

Matti

Here's the direct link. I bought my LS150 directly thru Kurosawa:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kurosawagakki.com

Or you could shoot an email to [email protected].
Not all the models displayed on their e-store are available. As an e.g., when I contacted them first, they had 2 LS150s in VF showing on the site but none in stock.
As I said before, they are pretty quick with the emails.

e-classics said:
Ok folks, we?re sounding a little defensive here. Like I said, it?s my opinion, it?s not right or wrong, it?s a mater of taste.

BTW I live close to PRS (it?s in Stevensville MD) and I have talked to Paul and know some of the guys in the shop. I have owned several PRS?s and have never seen one (that came out the front door, the employees make some out of wood that gets discarded) that had stains on the top. Those would typically get painted.

As Udonitron points out you typically see beautiful mineral stains in wood like spalted maple where it is evenly spread throughout the body and makes for a breathtaking look (like my Moonstone explorer). There?s nothing wrong with it being on the top of a beautiful Les Paul. I just happen to like my Les Paul to either be very flamed or quilted or to very plain with a nice red burst.

I'd have to agree with e-classics here. When I'm buying a Tokai LS150 plain top, I'm looking for an excellent woodgrain, and we have seen examples of that. On this guitar, I notice atleast 5-6 streaks, ranging from couple of inches long (one between the pickups and one besides the neck pickup) and several smaller "birds eyes". They draw the attention away from the woodgrain.

Back