Love Rock Buzzing Bridge

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paladin2019

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a buzzing problem with the stock Love Rock tune-o-matics?

Here's my story:

When I sent the love rock for a setup, there was a noticeable buzz from the bridge area. I thought it might have been due to the teeny tiny string slots in the bridge saddles, but even when the tech filed them to a more appropriate size the buzz was still there.

Tonight I solved it. When changing the strings I noticed that the saddle screws were held in place by small washers at the top of the bridge, which were fitted loosely and were vibrating whenever a string was plucked.

Here's how to fix it:

Identify the buzzing washers, slack off the appropriate strings and pop them to the side of the saddle. Unscrew the saddle so it sits at the bottom of the bridge. The washer is a U shape, so put the 'gap' behind the screw and lever it out with a small screwdriver (the washers are magnetic, so won't get lost too easily). Now, using a pair of pliers, bend the washer so it goes from this:

_ _

(looking straight at the gap in the U shape)

to this:

/ \

(obviously not that steep an angle, though - just enough to have a tight fit on the screw when it goes back on. Be careful not to snap it!).

Stick the washer back on the screw - you may need to push it on with a screwdriver if it's a tight fit. Pop the string back in, re-tune and re-set the intonation. If the washer is tight enough, no more buzz!

Of course, if the things were fitted with retaining wire jobs it's be a lot easier :roll:

Very creative fix. My tune-o-matic does have the retaining wire, hence no washers. It's a mid-80's, what year is yours?

I used to think the retaining wire was accurate to old Les Pauls, but I've come to learn that the original bridges did not have the wire; it came out sometime in the sixties.

It's a 2001 LS200.

I took the opportunity to reverse the bottom 3 bridge saddles too. Looks nicer, and better intonation.

I thought the wire was on old LP's too - oh well, learn something every day! Maybe it was introduced because of the washer problem!

My Korean LR also appears to have wire, maybe they changed it across the board - bye the way, has anyone used JJ tubes?

Paladin,I have such problem.There was a buzzing soung coming from 3rd and 4rd strings,but it was fixed by my luthier.Have you noticed any displacement on the tune-o-matic?

How do you mean 'displacement'? :-?

My luthier said that the middle (3rd/4th) saddles on my LR bridge were too low, a design flaw apparently - maybe this is what was wrong with yours? He fixed that on mine by filing down the outer saddles and raising the bridge.

Oh, and Vapor - I use JJ EL34's in the power stage of my amp - superb valves (tubes, whatever) 8)

I had the same problem, it was more prominent when I had thicker strings. Actually thats all it took to get rid of the problem - back to .10 guge strings...

Paladin I meant "out of its correct place".Sometimes my english is not good enough.I must improve iy,sorry. :oops:

luis - everything appears to be where it should be. Nothing out of place.

Oh, and your english is very good - I just didn't understand how the bridge could be displaced.

Hola Luis,

Soy no comprendo?

Les Paul bridges tend to be flat across and don't follow the curve of the top allowing for this intonation problem.
One way of getting around this is to raise the tailpiece so the angle is not as acute and the string tension is not as strong either.

luis, como esta tu buscar de la Breezy del rosaro y amarillo? :lol:

Pedro el guapo :wink:

Hola Pedrito,
I discovered a TE-120 but it was HOLD in a few,so I had no chance for buying.I am still looking for,but no hurry.
About the tune-o-matic it came displaced from the factory and two strings buzzed,but it was fixed.It is a liittle difficult to me to explain the problem in english,sorry :cry:.

Back