another 1985 mystery LS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesemaphore

Reaction score
Hi Chaps, I'm going to have a look at this 1985 LS tomorrow it has an 85 serial number and a nice flame top which may or may not be a solid top. Only thing that is throwing me at the moment is the seeming lack of FEB on what looks like could be an LS80 or higher (current owner seems to think it has an 18 degree headstock). I think the pick up covers could have been removed and the pickups might be Seymour Duncan's. It's a bit of a trek but I'll know more tomorrow when I see it. Anybody recognise anything that might identify model?

thanks I'll keep you posted and thanks in advance for any thoughts

ls200.jpg

100_1180.jpg

steve

By 1985 all bets are off as far as features, really could be any mix from what we've seen.

The top looks like most other tops from that era and is in all likelihood veneer. I wouldn't pay solid top money.

Also check the headstock. May have that dimple on the top.

Check also if it has a Bell TRC (Stepped laminate).

My 85 and another member's (MartinW) 85 both seem to have some higher end specs
18 degree headstock
one piece back
matched two piece maple top

No dimple and the above stepped bell TRC - but no FEB.

Opinions vary as to the TRC originality, but it is interesting that another non- export from 85 has turned up in the UK with similar specs and the same TRC

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18135&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

As you guys might know I, like Barks and Martin, have an 85 LS60/80 hybrid mine having 18 degree headstock and 57 PAF pickups. It doesn't have feb or as far as I can tell with my nail varnish remover, a nitro finish. It's a plain top with export dimple. The lack of nitro has upset me much more than it should. The finish is really thin and looks fantastic, but it wont age like nitro.

I was hoping this one i'm going to see might be an LS80 but my head tells me it's a 60

here is the pick up on mine.

2010-3-277-1.jpg

Small world indeed!
Safe travels.

As for aging, the red on the top of mine has definitely calmed down over the years as you can see more grain of the maple around the edges.
The finish on the top is very thin even though it is poly.

Had a look and I think it's an LS60. Here is the spec (i think). Veneer flame top, 2 piece back (makes me think mine is one piece having seen it). Neck pick up I don't think is original, bridge pick up is tokai 57 PAF and it is a poly finish. Looks very good and plays well. Really wanted the case. Nice guy and a very good price if anyone is interested....I'm holding out for a LS80

i remenber seeing this on ebay ages ago , seller said it was new 1985 tls 60 still in the box has a bell shape truss rod cover

1985TokaiTLS-605031778.jpg

1985TokaiTLS-6050317786.jpg

thanks for posting

This gives some evidence that the 'stepped laminate' bell TRC on my 1985 LS50/60, (and MartinW's) is original.

Was this guitar in the UK?

Starting in very late 1983, 57 PAF labeled pickups were used on all sub LS-100 models (instead of earlier ink stamped or plain back Gotohs).
The three tab pickup is not Tokai LS.
From late 1983 to the end of 1985, many lower end models had 18* headstocks and reborn style bell shaped TRC's, and many LS-80's no longer had FEB. The only spec that remained true was nitro for LS-80's and poly for LS-50s + LS-60s (and the only reason for an LS-60 - LS-80 price differencestarting in late 1983)
The 1984-85 sycamore flame tops have always been veneer from my experience (found on LS-60s + LS-80s only). Use of sycamore for solid tops did not begin until about 2005 on some ULS export models only.

hi
i do own a 1985 ls 80 ,,,,, in VF ,,,, has a 3 piece body ,,,, and if i did no look extremly well i would say a 2 piece body ,,,, it is very hard to see it is a 3 piece body ,,,, mine has a alu tail piece , nitro ,,, brass saddels that are nickel plated so they did not look like brass ,18 degeed headstock ,,,, and goto paf pickups and pcb board ,,,, :D :D
it is 100 original ,,,,
all the best
otto

Back