Help identifying early 80's Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting info relating to a 1984 Goldstar, etc.

"....By '84, both types (of U and E pickups) have leads with cloth insulation, earlier ones were plastic...

...U-stamps, the model they were in (TST50) is far more common and U pickups easier to find the E's.

The correct bridge for '84 will have a separate block and pressed-steel saddles stamped "Final Prospec" (not Prospect). Earlier bridges are cast one-piece units with Tokai-stamped steel saddles.

Tuners are accurate Kluson copies marked "Deluxe" down the center line, older ones were also marked Tokai. These are pretty much generic, so any metric Kluson-type tuner will fit, I guess. "

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25713&p=192771&hilit=deluxe+tuners#p192771

To further eliminate the possibility of it being an ST80, E pickups came on ST80s, U pickups on ST50 and most ST60s I believe.

So potentially bracketing the dates between 1981 and 1984 based on the “Deluxe” tuners and plastic wire on the pickups?

L serial numbers began in 1982(?) on Fender copies, though I’m not sure if that was for all models?

And model potentially ST50 or ST60 based on the serial number and pickups?

Sigmania said:
So potentially bracketing the dates between 1981 and 1984 based on the “Deluxe” tuners and plastic wire on the pickups?

L serial numbers began in 1982(?) on Fender copies, though I’m not sure if that was for all models?

And model potentially ST50 or ST60 based on the serial number and pickups?

That's about right for me. I couldn't remember the Fender Tokai dates .

Do you know if the 5 digit and L serial numbers ran concurrently?

And what is the “R” in ST50R and ST60R?

Btw, I’m seeing a seam in what I am considering alder in the body in the control compartment. Also no center seam in neck pocket.

So if it’s two piece (ST60) then the seam is like a 1/3- 2/3 thing. Or it’s a three piece body (ST50).

Tokai……. I just found a 5 digit serial Goldstar ST100 in Ian’s book on page 32.

Always exceptions to these “rules”.

hA9NJ8M.jpg

And…… two flamingo orange (FO) Goldstar ST55s….

First one, serial number 16095, has butterfly string tree like the OP here (serial number 13125). Doesn’t show the pickups.

Second one, serial number 18053, has round string tree and pickups marked “VI”.

On pages 46-9 of Ian’s book.

And to further confuse things…..

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tokai-springy-sound-st55-1982-made-1775627270

They are saying Fujigen, which is obviously wrong if it is an ST55 with Tokai pickups.

"Incredible guitar. Made in Japan in 1982 by the Fujigen factory - ST55. Really low action. The original owner in the 80s put a Fender logo and Fender saddles on the guitar. This genuinely is one of the best stratocaster copies (or originals) I have ever played. The neck is maple and the action is unbelievably low. The necks on theseSpringy Sounds and early Goldstar sounds are incredible. The build quality of the guitar is fantastic - it has a beautiful one piece maple neck with heel trussrod and deluxe Kluson tuners. . The tremolo is floating and is incredibly difficult to take out of tune! The guitar is in great condition for it's age with only minor blemishes to finish. It really looks and feels the part and oozes class. Flamingo Orange is a similar finish to the Fender fiesta red and looks amazing. Was a custom colour at the time, and was sold as an ST55. Now for the even better bit. The guitar has David White Old Glories as replacement for the original Tokai pickups. Look these up on the internet. They are very highly sought after and are almost impossible to find these days. The pickups were wound with a pattern controlled by a Sinclair ZX Spectrum!! These are thought to be some of the best pickups ever made for a stratocaster and sound absolutely fabulous. The pickups on their own are worth a few hundred quid.I would genuinely stand this guitar up against any other stratocaster or copy. A reluctant sale as need cash to put towards my son's piano!"

izXryYr.png

mWJlU35.png

Cnm8eDt.png

It would help knowing if the trem block is steel or pot metal.

Also, not sure if there are date codes on the pots?

Trying to further narrow the dates.

Pretty certain I would feel comfortable calling it an ST55. Just trying to figure out if it’s a Goldstar or Springy. I have only seen Goldstars so far.

I don’t like the Goldstar logo either. I could easily see someone changing it. Like the guitar in the Worthpoint link.

Wow, looks like you've been busy Sigmania!

mdvineng said:
Flamingo Orange was available as a custom colour too.

Could it be a Tokai made Fender, see page 5 https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/fender-japan-1984-catalogue/

Remember catalogues came out in October, so an 85 cat was available Oct 84 etc.

8 screw plate is for maple necks

Metal finish on the hardware can help identify model I.e. chrome or nickel finish.

This is what my father though, but I don't think it's possible. I cannot imagine Fender ever selling Strats with Tokai hardware. Tokai never produced guitars for Fender until 1997 even though they were in talks during the 'law suit era'. In my original post I did link to a story of Fender apparently using a Tokai guitar with their own headstock decals for 1982 advertisements for their 57' reissue Strat. I've tried to find it and see for myself with no luck.

Sigmania said:
So the question about the tuners saying “Deluxe” was you asking if it was a branded Tokai or Fender?

Some Tokai STs had Kluson style tuners stamped “Deluxe” and some stamped “Tokai”. Not sure if that correlates to specific dates?

I was wondering because most of the Strats I've come across have DELUXE written. In the earlier catalogues around 81/82 they have hand written and hand drawn information on all the different parts. It's difficult to figure out, but there's mention of different neck shapes, string trees, pickups, etc. They also have hand drawn tuners that feature 'Tokai' on the back. I just have no idea if these are model specific or date specific. My dads guitar has Deluxe.
You can see what I'm talking about on page 4 here.

I don't know what the term block is made from. Is there an easy way to tell?

The bridge saddles have Final Prospec written on them, but I'm not sure it's an 84 model. I would need to go back and look at the catalogues but I think I remember seeing "Final Prospec" earlier that 84 publications.

Sigmania said:
And what is the “R” in ST50R and ST60R?

R means Rosewood. Those were on the 62' style Strats.

I took a look at all the guitars you link for sale. I wonder how they are coming up with the model and year too, although the Australian shop explains their logic. The guitar has a 55 sticker on the neck, however they try to claim it's a custom red paint when really the stamp inside notes it's FO. There's no date on the pots from what I can remember and I can't see any when checking other pictures I took. I have noticed that the stamps on the pots seem to vary, so I wonder if theres a way to date guitars based on that alone.

Another thing I find interesting is that if you check the serial numbers Tokai used they actually vary. For example, some of the guitars you shared have 1957 serial numbers. My dads has a 1956, along with the last few guitars you posted. I also noticed that Tokai actually changed what they referred to the guitar as. I need to check the catalogues again, but I think the earlier ones say they are coping a 54' and the later are 58' - I have no idea what differentiates these models.

I think this is important to note, because in 1982 Fender released the very first reissue guitars; a 57' Strat and a 62' Strat. Tokai copying this era of guitar is what prompted Fender to bring them back. So I wonder if after 1982ish Tokai decided to use 57' serial numbers since that's what Fender went with. I could be completely wrong with this theory but you can find serial number info here: https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-fender_eng.php

What's the difference between a Goldstar and a Springy Sound?

Back