Identification Help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilh

Reaction score
I hate to come on here and immediately ask questions regarding identifying Tokai guitars but they don’t have a big history in my part of the world. They come up from time to time, and I really like late 70s, 80’s MIJ product. Well, any MIJ product really! Identifying Tokai guitars is a challenge.

So this is listed as an ‘86 Breezey. Thoughts. Other than the Pots that say MIJ, nothing else indicates it is what it is. Help a brother out?

Attachments

• IMG_6355.jpeg
    IMG_6355.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6354.jpeg
    IMG_6354.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6353.jpeg
    IMG_6353.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
I don't see a serial number. Other than that it is an ATE. I suspect much newer. Need a serial number.

I don't see a serial number. Other than that it is an ATE. I suspect much newer. Need a serial number.
No serial number on the back of the headstock, or the backplate. Nothing as far as a “Made in Japan” sticker or decal anywhere….. I posted the best pictures that I thought would help.
Not sure what the value should be… if real and MIJ…

Is that a reflection or is the body glue seam off-center? Only pictures of the stamps in control and/or neck cavities and the neck heel stamp (or the lack thereof) could make that less mysterious. but no stamping on the bridge, nothing on the neck plate, no serial, a slab fretboard , ATE headstock...

...deja vu: help identify Breezysound with no stamp or serial or made in
(same pics, same guitar)

Is that a reflection or is the body glue seam off-center? Only pictures of the stamps in control and/or neck cavities and the neck heel stamp (or the lack thereof) could make that less mysterious. but no stamping on the bridge, nothing on the neck plate, no serial, a slab fretboard , ATE headstock...

(same pics, same guitar)
Good eye! Yes, same guitar! I’ll read that thread, thanks!

(same pics, same guitar)
Interestingly he mentions it was from Saskatoon. Must have been a dealer there as I noticed another white one, again, other than the headstock name and MIJ Pots, no made in… or serial number…
Probably from around the same period.

I am not sure if this fits but the Canadian Tokai distributor got in all sorts of trouble in the mid 2000s for commissioning bogus Tokais in Korea.

I find it odd that two of these show up in the same area in Canada. Interesting coincidence.

And I am not seeing any pictures in the areas that would help us out, neck pocket, pickup routs and control cavity. Probably just a harmless omission, but makes it hard to know what's up.

Interesting to hear that. If one isn’t familiar with the brand it’s hard to know what one is looking at. He’s asking a lot from the pricing I have seen and ones online have more “distinctive” traits than this one…

What I find puzzling is the absence of the "Made in Japan" print on the neck when the guitar looks otherwise like ATE55s sold e.g. in the UK.

Back