An EDWARDS thread, post pics of your Edwards guitars here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sinsonido,

I have the same one ...

Think it was a good decision to choose the Tobacco sunburst, right? :wink:

She's got a stunning finish!

Roger

Sneaky,

I called you an expert, because you are in Japan and able to watch the trends on the Japanese market. 8)
Your decision buying several Edwards was obviously made on the base that there is an outstanding quality and that you can get a good guitar for less money (still)!

So ...

I apologize if I've dropped a brick! :oops:

Roger

Maybe I should learn how to take compliments better.
I just pulled out both of my Duncan Edwards and noticed the one that is, without any doubt, a two piece back is the older of the two, from 2002 I believe. In 2003 the half gloss finish first appears but I also have a one page pamphlet I guess it could be called... that shows the half gloss models but there is no year anywhere that I can see so it may be from late 2002 or early 2003...between the two catalogs. I had it in the 2003 catalog so thats why I think it`s from that year but I`m not certain, and in 2002 there were only a few Les Paul type models offered and both of mine are violin honey burst, one of the colors from 2002... and if you wonder why I have 2 of the same color it`s because both were purchased used and beggars can`t be choosers...I buy whats available. I hope to find some in other colors...like the lemon drop looks good to me and that tobacco burst pictured above is outstanding.
Sp perhaps the Duncan edwards from 2002 were made of 2 piece backs...Honduras?... and the latter 1 piece versions with African mahogany? Possible. Or it just could be they tested the market in 2002 and used whatever wood they had in the shop so could be some were one piece some two...who knows. I do know that I`m looking for a used tele to complete my set of Edwards...a double bound black one would do me fine.

tudor said:
Hi Sinsonido,

I have the same one ...

Think it was a good decision to choose the Tobacco sunburst, right? :wink:

She's got a stunning finish!

Roger

Hey Tudor,

I think the tobacco is a very classy look. 8)

I had a choice between that one and this one below...

3dd39c6715.jpg

e319709c92.jpg

Man, I should've grabbed both of them. :)

Aside from being just "copies", they are extremely well made and are flat out quality instruments. I'm looking to get another one, so I'm fine with the fact that these are not popular...yet. :wink:

I sold my red quilt top and have ordered a laquer taste LP in tobacco burst.

cant wait till it gets here.
:D :D :D

Well done, Scooba !!! :lol:

Did the pics convince you that this classy one has an incredible look? :wink:

Roger

I"d been looking at one for a while and the pics of that tobacco burst just sealed the deal, all my edwards are poly and i really wanted a laquer one so it was between TB and honey burst, seeing as i already have a honey burst in poly finish i wanted something different.

thinking of selling the honey burst to fund a 335 style guitar now though

Congrats to you Scooba! :D

Be sure to give us your review of the LT when you get it. 8)

Edwards is making 335 style guitars now aren't they? I'm very curious about that. I've been scoping out for the discontinued Ibanez Artcore United AS 193, which is along the lines of an AS 200. I've gotta start behaving myself!

Yes Edwards are making them and they are LT models too, the cherry red one is the spitting image of claptons 335 with mini trap inlays and grovers, i'm really keen on one but will have to sell either my honey burst LP or white SG and i dont really want to part with either of them :(

probably sell the LP due to the SG being a discontinued model.

:cry:

Does anyone own or played an Edwards 335 style guitar???

Steve

sneakyjapan said:
no but I do know they are made of solid wood not laminates.

Can you verify this?

If that's true, it would be an exceptional and highly desirable item, considering that the Gibby equivalent has a laminate top.

well...I figure if they write them up as being solid top and back in the 2006 catalog then they must be solid top and back. The E-SA-118LTS is described as being hand carved top and back whereas the E-SA-130LTE has a solid hard maple top and back. Why would I make this stuff up? On page 134 of the 2006 there is a photo of a guy hand carving either a top or a back. Yes they are good values, and buying used makes them even more so. I think we`ve just become so used to paying the prices Gibson commands for their 335s that we`ve been brain washed into thinking that more expensive means better. They also have a white model that is not listed in the catalog but I`ve seen on Yahoo Japan.

sneakyjapan said:
Why would I make this stuff up?

Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of making anything up, I just needed to know if my impending GAS attack will be justified. :D

As I'm sure you know, if you wanted a carved top Gibby equvalent, you're talking extortionate prices from the Custom, Art, & Historic Division. If this is where Edwards is headed, hell I'm all for it. The Edwards "CTM" solid bodies are already quite impressive, and I can't wait to start seeing reviews for the semi-hollows.

How about an Edwards Birdland or Johnny Smith next? Jazz guitarists want to save money too. 8)

wasn`t feeling accused. I was just reading from the catalog. I do know the husband of one of my students just got the black 335 type so I`ll ask her if he`s commented on it. Haven`t seen one in person and probably won`t in this city unless I order one.

it sold for 650,000 yen originally...I`d wager it`s real.
I`m one who usually likes figured wood, though many say they don`t... but thats a bit blingy even for me. Could go for either the body or the neck but together it just seems over the top... still, play what ya like eh.

I was a studio art major...not business.
50 years ago, who would have ever guessed Gibsons would be selling for as much as they do now? Not sure anybody can really predict what new guitars are gonna be collectable down the road. I love guitars and have some that cost quite a bit... but 650,000 yen?... not in this lifetime.

Latest posts

Back