What’s the consensus on a Burny RLG-70 Super Grade? What are the best years for Burny guitars that are MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River08

Reaction score
I’m looking to pull the trigger on a
Burny RLG-70 that’s in almost mint condition from what I know and see, it’s all original. I’m still waiting on a few more details about what kind of pickups it has and what year it is from? It’s a really beautiful flame top in lemon drop. Asking price for it is $900.

Do you know what years this model could be from? How’s the quality of this Burny model and how would it compare to say a Gibson Les Paul Standard of today? I’m attaching some photos of it for feedback and any relevant information.

Much appreciated,
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_9295.jpeg
    IMG_9295.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9296.jpeg
    IMG_9296.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9297.jpeg
    IMG_9297.jpeg
    735 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9298.jpeg
    IMG_9298.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9299.jpeg
    IMG_9299.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0
Nice RLG-70. Mark at Japan Guitars has a lot of experience with vintage MIJ guitars so he should be able to answer all your questions. There's also quite a few examples and info about them online.

The RLG-70 models were made between 1989 - 1996 or 97. They had a flame veneer top and usually a 2-3 piece body. You'll need photos of the pickup and control cavities with close ups of the pots to help identify the year it was made. From 1985 - 1988 they were RLG-60 models.

All my Burny LPs are from the early '80s so I don't have any personal experience with RLG-70s.

Here's the 1991 Fernandes catalog info on the RLG-70:

1722019081104.png

Last edited:
Nice RLG-70. Mark at Japan Guitars has a lot of experience with vintage MIJ guitars so he should be able to answer all your questions. There's also quite a few examples and info about them online.

The RLG-70 models were made between 1990 - 1996 or 97. They had a flame veneer top and usually a 2-3 piece body. You'll need photos of the pickup and control cavities with close ups of the pots to help identify the year it was made. From 1987 - 1989 they were RLG-65 models.

All my Burny LPs are from the early '80s so I don't have any personal experience with RLG-70s.

Here's the 1991 Fernandes catalog info on the RLG-70:

View attachment 70701

So here’s a wild card - I just found a 1980 Greco Gold Top for sale with P-90 pickups. I’d prefer a PAF but when it boils down to it, right now I’m just trying to get the best quality guitar I can put my hands on. A week ago someone picked my apartment door lock and stole my R9. But is what it is.

So in terms of quality of construction and build, pickup quality, and tone quality. Now I know P-90 tone and PAF tone are not the same so for the sake of this argument maybe compare the quality of the tone to what it would be with the same pickup. Both the Burny and the Greco is be able to purchase for around $1k.

I know it’s an odd question but I know nothing about Japan models even though I’ve really gotten into learning about them the last few days when I decided I need to find one that’s a good price and good value.

So which would you go with for quality construction, tone, value since there similar price and will either of them hold their value better? See photos of the gold top.

Appreciate the responses.

View attachment 70706View attachment 70707View attachment 70708View attachment 70709View attachment 70710

1990 Greco EGH-700. My opinion is that the Greco would probably be a better investment than the Burny because the EGH-700 model it is less common than the RLG-70 and Greco is a better known vintage MIJ brand. But they're both mid-range models from the '90s and the early '80s models tend to be more desirable.

Here it is in the 1990 Greco catalog:

1722109879689.png

Last edited:
I have not but thank you for sending this and I’ve just bookmarked it. I’m brand new to the thread (just registered yesterday or the day before), and still trying to make my way through all the information on it. This is great though. 🙏

Vintage MIJ guitars can be difficult to correctly identify as you've just experienced with the 1990 Greco EGH-700. You really have to do your homework and online research. It's a never-ending process of discovery and even the experts in the vintage MIJ community can make mistakes. You should be careful and not trust most sellers If you're starting your journey.

Vintage Burny LPs can be notoriously difficult to identify because most did not even have serial numbers. Sellers often misrepresent these guitars because they have not done the proper due-diligence. There are subtle clues that you have to look for that can change from one model year to the next and almost always need cavity shots. If any modifications have been made then it makes it even more difficult. It's definitely a case of "Buyer Beware" when it comes to Burny LPs from the '80s & '90s.

Last edited:
Vintage MIJ guitars can be difficult to correctly identify as you've just experienced with the 1990 Greco EGH-700. You really have to do your homework and online research. It's a never-ending process of discovery and even the experts in the vintage MIJ community can make mistakes. You should be careful and not trust most sellers If you're starting your journey.

Vintage Burny LPs can be notoriously difficult to identify because most did not even have serial numbers. Sellers often misrepresent these guitars because they have not done the proper due-diligence. There are subtle clues that you have to look for that can change from one model year to the next and almost always need cavity shots. It's definitely a case of "Buyer Beware" when it comes to Burny LPs from the '80s & '90s.
Yeah I’m experiencing this now too with another Burny I’m trying to identify. I’ve been negotiating with a seller who just doesn’t know too much, and I’m not saying they are wrong but just like you said, they don’t seem like they have done or are willing to do the due diligence needed to identify it properly. I have photos of the guitar I’m trying to identify and I’m waiting on a photo of the cavity. Photos of the guitar can be seen in my other post at the link below. If come across my reply here and have the time to take a look and give me any input or thoughts, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks for all the replies as well!

See post: https://www.tokaiforum.com/threads/can-i-get-some-help-identifying-this-burny.29993/

FWIW- I’m an anti-veneer snob when it comes to buying a guitar
Yeah I get it… would love to have a non-veneer but at the same time my budget may not allow for that. I had a Gibson R9 that took me years to save up for and a week ago someone picked my apartment door lock and stole it. Not happy about it all but it is what it is. Have to go with what I can find.

I understand wanting to 'replace' a guitar, no matter the reason, in this case a stolen guitar but DON'T get in a hurry to replace it.

Take your time and do your homework aka do your ODD

Back