Tokai Factories in Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating tidbit from a former Tokai Employee found in a very unlikely post on a banjo forum:

"The production started in 1978 but around 1982, Tokai's business declined sharply due to slow sales and quality problem emerged from piano production. The delay in delivery of the salary occured. People began to leave Tokai. The management decided to stop banjo production and utilize the manpower in other production for the company survival. Situation got worse, so there was no hope for re-opening banjo production line."

Toshi Tsuchida Tokai Employee

Last edited:
Speaking of phones... this is apparently Shohei Adachi's phone:

View attachment 36162

Following is a shortened version (cutting out some stuff we really know already) of a 2014 Chinese article/forum post about Tokai, bringing us interior pics from the Onchi factory and some mildly interesting new insights into recent posts here! :)

Translated from Chinese with Google Translate - Occasional text emphasis added by me

When I was auditioning the first batch of Tokai Japan a few days ago, a colleague said to me: "Good things take time to 'explain', you have to tell the story, and you have to take the initiative to let people understand. This is a necessary process. "I agree very much, so today's article is written. Even as a promoter of Tokai in China, I will make this introduction more real and objective:)

If I have to give a definition of "excellent guitar", I'm afraid it will have to be a matter of opinion - after more than 70 years of experience in electric guitar In the course of its development, different masters of violin making have different opinions, which in turn has given rise to many great brand legends.

Since the rise of Fender and Gibson in the 1960s, in the following decades, countless imitators have appeared to follow in the footsteps of the giants. This is nothing to hide. Excellent products are often based on classic improvements and sublimations. With the advent of the Internet era and the development of international trade, Chinese people have also had more opportunities to understand, experience, and purchase more brands of musical instruments. In recent years, new high-end products have emerged in an endless stream, each with their own quality and characteristics. , what I want to introduce today is Tokai, a classic brand with a history of more than 60 years in Japan.

In 1947, Mr. Heishichi Adachi, the founder of Tokai, founded Tokai (Tokai Musical Instruments Co., Ltd.). At first, Tokai Musical Instruments mainly produced small musical instruments such as mouth organs.

In 1972, Tokai received technical support from Martin Company and began producing acoustic guitars.

In 1977, based on the imitation and improvement of Stratocaster and Les Paul, Tokai began to produce ST (the predecessor of AST series) and LS series electric guitars.

In 1983, Tokai invented the world's first metal-bodied electric guitar - the predecessor of today's Talbo series. In

1980, Tokai began manufacturing for Fender Japan, Zemaitis and Washburn.

In 1996, the Talbo series, as Japan's national treasure electric guitar, once again swept the market and established a special sales store.

In 2001, the GLAY band was invited to be interviewed by the then president of the country at the Great Hall of the People and presented Tokai Talbo as a gift to the supreme leader, making Tokai one of the symbols of Sino-Japanese friendship at that time, which was unprecedented.

In 2004, Tokai applied for a patent for the stringed instrument resonance box structure (SEB for short) and began producing electric guitars with SEB structures the following year.

In 2009, it obtained SEB patent invention certification in China. (Patent number: ZL 2005 1 0078010.8)

In 2014, Tokai officially launched various businesses in mainland China.

Today, after decades of unremitting efforts, Tokai has conquered too many musicians. In addition to being widely recognized in Japan and Asia, it has also been exported to more than 30 countries in Europe, Africa, South America, and Australia.

View attachment 36184
Founder Heishichi Adachi, 2nd generation president Tetsuichi Adachi, 3rd generation president Tadayuki Adachi

Editor's note: Cutting some pics we already have and the SRV and SEM stories here, to preserve storage space and keep things a bit more tidy here, so the interesting things don't get lost.

Mr. Adachi Shohei is a man with a special craftsman temperament, kind and simple yet strict. As a family business, the Adachi family has always upheld this craftsman spirit and infused it into the works of art they create.

When we first visited Tokai's headquarters and Onchi factory, it was easy to find this "classic" temperament. Many details made us feel the retro characteristics of Tokai, even the old-fashioned telephone that has been used all year round on Mr. Shohei Adachi's desk, and the antiques in the office Tube speakers are eye-catching. Every corner is stacked with objects full of traces of time. Decades of accumulation have given Tokai a special charm. I even heard that there is a constant-temperature room filled with nearly extinct items. Brazilian rosewood was accumulated decades ago! Of course, if you want to use them to make a neck fretboard, you'll have to pay quite a bit :)

View attachment 36185

View attachment 36162
The old-fashioned telephone on Mr. Shohei Adachi's desk

View attachment 36186
The late Heishichii Adachi in oil

Today, with highly advanced technology and streamlined production, Tokai still adheres to the semi-manual production model of mass-produced pianos. When you walk into Tokai's Onchi factory, the first thing you hear is not the roar of the machine, but the roar of the machine. The sound of manual knocking and polishing by master violin makers - of course, except for the Custom Shop, some aspects of mass production of violins still use machinery, but at the end of the production, each component needs to be strictly debugged by hand.

As a master violin maker, Mr. Shohei Adachi often comes to the factory to supervise and control quality, and he personally led the tour this time.

View attachment 36187
This is the exterior of the Onchi Factory. It is worth mentioning that "Onchi" also means "tone-deaf" in Japanese. I wonder if this was intentional when the site was selected:)

View attachment 36188
This is called the brain of Donghai Musical Instruments. Development, design, factory management, material allocation management, and production management are all carried out here. [Editor's note: I think this is the Onchi office where the Chinese production in Donghai (county?) is coordinated]

View attachment 36189
The woodworking department of Tokai Endi Factory has 6 electronic CNC machine tools, 2 heavy-duty cutting machines, 1 vacuum compressor, 2 wood grinding machines, 2 single-axis milling machines, 2 hand-held planers, and automatic planing machines. 1, 1 double-column vertical lathe, 3 routers, 4 wood cutting machines, 4 drilling machines, 1 hydraulic press, and a wood drying room. The south side of the carpentry department is the painting department, the east side is the metal department, and the west side is the assembly department.

View attachment 36190
Computer 3D CNC processing of the piano body is more accurate and faster, but because the wood will change due to changes in the surrounding environment, it must be processed again by the craftsman after being processed by the machine.

Is there a way to look at this again and see what the date is that seemed to translate as 1980 (which is obviously wrong)?

"1980, Tokai began manufacturing for Fender Japan, Zemaitis and Washburn."

Assuming it would be mid 90s. My guess is 1992 for the beginning of Fender production based on examples we have found over time. Not sure about Zemaitis. And a Washburn connection is news to me.

Also, in the image of the 3 Adachi presidents, Tadayuki Adachi is in the center, not at the far right. The names are apparently reversed?

Tadayuki Adachi was the president throughout the 1970s and to at least the mid 1980s and was friends with Mr. Oba since serving together in WWII.

36184-02288150e862d89e184382daf6f7c430.jpg

Here he is in the late 1970s/early 80s from Norihiro Yoshida's blog:

Screen Shot 2024-06-27 at 10.02.35 AM.png

Last edited:
The first ones were made in 1973, possibly slightly earlier?

I wouldn't have seen any guitar looking that old either but apparently, Tokai applied for trademark registration on :oops: Dec. 13th, 1957:

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 14.08.26.jpg

The records seem to indicate that there was some kind of dispute about this trademark between 1986 and 88, with the "demandee" being Tokai and the "demandant" a "Metropolis Corporation" in Tokyo, represented by 2 different people with the last name Terada, that may be just a funny coincidence though. :)

Edit: Anticipating Sigmania's follow-up question, the answer is "1975". :)

Tokai registered that "Snappy" name already in 1950:

Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 22.47.01.jpg

It seems this has no further registration history with Tokai, so no idea if they were still holder of that trademark when they used it.

Excellent work.

As a side note, notice that you are also turning up the names of past presidents of Tokai. 😎

1950: Heishichi Adachi
1967: Tetsuichi Adachi

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
Bingo - that might also contain the (due to the address reforming not easy to retrieve) clue to the first company address before they built the Terawaki-cho factory (not very relevant for what we try here but this is the first time I see a clue for that :) ).

You're right, I didn't even think of that! :oops: :)
So they built the factory between 1963 (empty aerial photo) and 1967. That puts Tokai in good company because around that time the big ones were all building new and more factories, opening them just in time for their first big economic disaster around 1967.

I wouldn't have seen any guitar looking that old either but apparently, Tokai applied for trademark registration on :oops: Dec. 13th, 1957:

View attachment 77349

The records seem to indicate that there was some kind of dispute about this trademark between 1986 and 88, with the "demandee" being Tokai and the "demandant" a "Metropolis Corporation" in Tokyo, represented by 2 different people with the last name Terada, that may be just a funny coincidence though. :)

Edit: Anticipating Sigmania's follow-up question, the answer is "1975". :)

Note the address in 1957..... Terashima/Terajima. :cool:

69539-61304943bdb0ff6f52bb2fb55362487a.jpg

Addresses listed on trademark applications:

1950: 295 Hirosawa-cho,
1957: 340 Terashimacho
1967: 36 Terawakicho
1970: 36 Terawakicho
1972: 36 Terawakicho
1974: 36 Terawakicho
1978: 36 Terawakicho
1982: 36 Terawakicho

Quote from Homer above: "So they built the factory between 1963 (empty aerial photo) and 1967."

295 Hirosawa-cho looks like a dead end because this address doesn't seem to exist in Hamamatsu (only in Kiryu, Gunma prefecture.), maybe with the address reform of 1962 that quarter was incorporated into another district...

340 Terajima-cho doesn't exist anymore either and I can only assume that this building was close to the remaining buildings, like the bicycle shop now in 339 Terajima-cho, the buildings around the parking lot S of the bike shop are since 1962 "block" 338 with a suffix for each building:

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 16.08.39.jpg

This is the place in 1963. Note that my reference point (Ekiminami Park) to the left of that big warehouse N of the Kawai HQ from the current pic above didn't exist yet in 1963. I marked the location of that park in green and the roughly assumed location of the Terajima address within the red circle:

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 16.34.06.jpg

There's probably little chance to identify the correct building on this image. What we also don't know is whether or not this is also the address of what purportedly became the "little shop in Terajima-cho" where they made the high-end acoustics.

Edit: The buildings S of building 339 (bike shop) still existed 1980 and vanished for the most part by 1990, making way for the parking spaces between the remaining buildings.

Last edited:
Back