Vintage Tokai LS = Brazilian Rosewood or not?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never n
The boa

The board is more like raw wood now, I had a refret done and that weird coating it had has been planed off. I love the way the fretboard looks and the top is even better! It is a great sounding guitar as well. Someone had scraped the crap out of the fretboard, maybe trying to file the fret ends? It is perfect now.
never noticed any "weird coating" but I did notice a few minor areas near some of the fretboard edges that looked like they had been filed which didn't seem to affect playability at all. The frets were original and in good to excellent condition. Did you have it refretted with a different size wire? I bet that co$t a pretty penny. Glad you like it.

It is most definitely a different kind of cut. They use quarter sawn for a reason. For stability. Even quarter necks move with minor changes to temps and moisture. Can't imagine how much more this would. It is very odd though, to see that on a 81 60. They are usually all pretty consistent in build. Especially the body top. Plain. Either a 200 slipped through the cracks or it had an issue that lowered its ranking. Very odd indeed.

I sold this example only because the neck was too thin for my taste in LP type guitars. If it would have been 1mm thicker I would have kept it but considering it was all original and in excellent condition I put it on the chopping block.

odd you mention a 200 as I had "LS-200 Top" in the listing title when I sold it.
I also stated in the listing verbiage, "This LS-60 solid Maple top looks like it belongs on a vintage Tokai LS-200."
The body back is a 2 piece/center seam and is so well matched it looks like a 1 piece.
It also has the OS finish color on the top; likely the most desirable top color for a vintage LS.
This example is without a doubt the most exceptional LS-60 example I have ever seen anywhere.
It was also a very nice player, IMO.

The 1983 LS-60 in the Yamauchi collection is nothing to sneeze at but it still doesn't compare to this example.

if you right click the image and open in a new tab you can mag up the image to see how awesome the top is :cool:
LS-60 12.jpg

Last edited:
never n

never noticed any "weird coating" but I did notice a few minor areas near some of the fretboard edges that looked like they had been filed which didn't seem to affect playability at all. The frets were original and in good to excellent condition. Did you have it refretted with a different size wire? I bet that co$t a pretty penny. Glad you like it.
It was just not normal, could have been that it had gotten so dry and hardened. The original frets had life but were sharp on the ends and I wanted something taller, it was reasonable, I have a great luthier near me. The guitar plays like butter now and the thinner neck is easier to play on with the taller frets, I myself prefer huge necks but it is tolerable now lol. It is still in superb shape for its age, I still have the original parts that the seller sent with it, so it is still a very good piece that could easily be put back to stock. I put some 50s BB caps in it, and it sounds quite good.

I sold this example only because the neck was too thin for my taste in LP type guitars. If it would have been 1mm thicker I would have kept it but considering it was all original and in excellent condition I put it on the chopping block.

odd you mention a 200 as I had "LS-200 Top" in the listing title when I sold it.
I also stated in the listing verbiage, "This LS-60 solid Maple top looks like it belongs on a vintage Tokai LS-200."
The body back is a 2 piece/center seam and is so well matched it looks like a 1 piece.
It also has the OS finish color on the top; likely the most desirable top color for a vintage LS.
This example is without a doubt the most exceptional LS-60 example I have ever seen anywhere.
It was also a very nice player, IMO.

The 1983 LS-60 in the Yamauchi collection is nothing to sneeze at but it still doesn't compare to this example.

View attachment 34443
A two piece back kills the idea it was intended to be a 200. Who knows. It is a very nice top.

A two piece back kills the idea it was intended to be a 200. Who knows. It is a very nice top.

I would agree; never heard of a LS-200 with anything other than a 1 piece back.

My reference to LS-200 was only in the context of the maple top; nothing else.

AFA the maple top itself it could have been intended for any range of LS, it would certainly look right at home on a LS-200 but it just so happened to end up on a LS-60 which to me still seems quite a strange thing.

Last edited:
I would agree; never heard of a LS-200 with anything other than a 1 piece back.

My reference to LS-200 was only in the context of the maple top; nothing else.

AFA the maple top itself it could have been intended for any range of LS, it would certainly look right at home on a LS-200 but it just so happened to end up on a LS-60 which to me still seems quite a strange thing.
I cannot even find the seam.

When I got my LS150 1981 it required some work, when working on the frets and cleaning the fretboard it smelled like nothing else I have worked on before. Its sweet, almost like roses, which I believe is where rosewood gets its name from originally, I believe only Brazilian has this trait? could be wrong. However, the almost orange/chocolate grain, colour and smell lead me to believe its Brazilian.
Like others have stated, Brazilian wasn't a particularly big deal at the time and we know other manufacturers (Competitors) were using it at the same time, so why not Tokai? Late 70's early 80's Tokais (and other brands) are known and desired not only for their craftmanship but also the quality woods still available to the Japanese at the time which in the western world for the larger manufacturers were gone/unobtainable.

This is sort of relevant. Not from the vintage period, but it is Tokai and it is an LS.

Apparently this model features a Jacaranda board. Special order.

And as you noted Japanese sellers on YJ continue to claim fretboards are Brazilian.

Like this one:

Tokai <トーカイ> LS384-CM Brazilian Rosewoo... - Yahoo!オークション

Just found it interesting.

2016 LS Reborn JFB VVF

Rockin Japan order

SOLD: 2016 Tokai LS Reborn Old Brazilian Fretboard

Cliffs Guitar World

Serial # 1636735
Limited Run by "Rockin Japan"
"Hand Selected Woods"
2-Piece Solid 5A Flame Hard Rock Maple Top
1- Piece Honduran Mahogany Back
Brazilian Rosewood Board
Weight 8 lbs 11 oz. or 3.95kg
Nut Width 1-11/16"
1st Fret .90"
12th Fret .97"
Fret End Bindings

Nitro Finish
Long Tenon
Tokai "PAF-Vintage MK2" Pickups
Replaced TR Cover
Stock USA Parts: Bridge & Tailpiece.
Original Tokai Hard Case
Store Warranty Card

k0V0TKl.png

NiLyu1q.png

MVLRAxB.png

IqBEf29.png

MHxFLes.jpg

When I got my LS150 1981 it required some work, when working on the frets and cleaning the fretboard it smelled like nothing else I have worked on before. Its sweet, almost like roses, which I believe is where rosewood gets its name from originally, I believe only Brazilian has this trait? could be wrong. However, the almost orange/chocolate grain, colour and smell lead me to believe its Brazilian.
Like others have stated, Brazilian wasn't a particularly big deal at the time and we know other manufacturers (Competitors) were using it at the same time, so why not Tokai? Late 70's early 80's Tokais (and other brands) are known and desired not only for their craftmanship but also the quality woods still available to the Japanese at the time which in the western world for the larger manufacturers were gone/unobtainable.

I guess at this point we have yet to hear of any conclusive documentation from Tokai concerning the use of Brazilian rosewood for 'vintage' LS examples so, I guess that one is out the door ........

sounds like your example may be the closest within the thread as far as 'vintage' LS with Braz but I'm feeling a bit teased by your post; got any pics of the 'board? At least we could see it but prolly can't smell it :unsure:

Last edited:
Its sweet, almost like roses, which I believe is where rosewood gets its name from originally, I believe only Brazilian has this trait?

FWIW, the species of the whole Dalbergia genus are supposed to give that scent when being worked on, so it might take someone who has worked a lot on all of the common species including D. nigra (which could've been in a now pretty distant past) to memorize the variations and distinguish them with their nose. But maybe I shouldn't stick mine that much into this topic, being far from anything that smells like first hand expertise. :)

Some food for thought: Amazon rosewood (Dalbergia spruceana) could be legally called "Brazilian rosewood" because it's rosewood that grows in Brazil (among others). Not only that, apparently it has very similar properties physically and visually and can be traded without trouble.

However, given the extremely unprecise nature of the trading names (e.g. "Jacaranda" without the "-de bahia" suffix making it less ambiguous), they are all worthless in a legal context (trade restrictions, assessment of value etc.) and the customer must insist on the scientific names for current and future instruments. We'll be left with uncertainty and guesswork on old guitars, no matter what the company called their wood, unless there will be non-destructive scientific test methods in the future.

A bit off topic, but I wouldn't go as far as stating that Tokai is known for using quality woods for most of their vintage LS models. Tokai didn't use Honduran mahogany back then even on the LS200s or LS150s so you'll rarely see a vintage Tokai LS with anything that resembles the back of this 1980 Navigator NLP:

1701706034576.png

A bit off topic, but I wouldn't go as far as stating that Tokai is known for using quality woods for most of their vintage LS models. Tokai didn't use Honduran mahogany back then even on the LS200s or LS150s so you'll rarely see a vintage Tokai LS with anything that resembles the back of this 1980 Navigator NLP:

View attachment 35078
I always wondered why their backs look different than the Gibsons. I just figured it was in the cut. One thing I am pretty confident of, is that whatever kind of wood it is, the golden years, 78-81, they had a way of picking resonant pieces and it appears they like the ones that come in around 9lbs. Give or take a few ounces. From what I have seen over the years, it appeared everyone that had one loved it and said they are very resonant. Compared to say, Gibson, where you only going to get a good one 20% of the time, if that. Because of those findings, is the only reason I am not worried about buying one without playing it. With a Gibson, I couldn't even consider doing such a thing. Because I know the odds are it is going to be a dud. I do wish the Tokais looked more like the Bursts on the backs like that Navi does. But the resonance is far more important to me.

Triggered by the this and the other threads on the topic and a current LS200 offer in Berlin I checked a number of LS200 sales on Reverb and most of them claim it would be "brazz", one even delivering a pretty ridiculous "I compared it with other guitars" kind of proof. All of these ads conveniently fail to show meaningful pictures of the fretboards though. :)

However, double-checking the brochures and catalogs listing the LS200, none of them states anything else than just "rosewood", the otherwise pretty verbose 1980 catalog doesn't even mention the fretboard wood at all. So there is nothing to support these claims, other than the misconception that having seen a couple of fretboards is sufficient for species identification and not only wishful thinking.

Identifying Dalbergia nigra

The Dalbergia genus has like 200-300 species, a few are even spectacular direct substitutes and much harder to tell from D. nigra than anything else. In fact, it's sometimes not even possible to visually distinguish between species that are typically very different, like BR and EIR (images taken from here):

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 00.21.27.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 00.22.01.jpg

So that shows that looking at the wood (or even worse, pictures of the wood) or comparing 2 fretboards is awfully error-prone. Neither color, pore density or longitudinal pore length have so little variation in many of the species and so much overlap with other species that the differences are much more statistical than applicable to 2 individual fretboards.

But you better take that from a more authoritative, scientific source specifically about Dalbergias:

"Current methods, primarily comparative wood anatomy, are inadequate for conclusive species identification."

About "quantitative characters" (pore density and form in transverse (endgrain) and tangential longitudinal (as in "fretboard from above")):

"Quantitative characters cannot be used to distinguish D. nigra from D. spruceana, D. tucurensis, D.granadillo or D. stevensonii, as the results for D. nigra fall within the range of these species. In particular, D. nigra and D. spruceana had the most similar mean vessel diameter, with vessels of D. nigra being, on average, just 7·6 µm larger than those of D. spruceana, and identical mean ray heights."

This confirms that it's virtually impossible to tell e.g. D. spruceana ("Amazon rosewood", mentioned earlier in this thread) and D. nigra visually apart. The linked .pdf also has some interesting comparison pictures about these properties.

It's probably not impossible that Tokai could have used Dalbergia nigra in the 80s, I'm just not sure how likely (as in "how expensive") that would've been, and whether or not anyone would've even cared for species rather than quality and attractiveness of the boards at that time. But the real point is - there is no way to tell for sure, at least not without damaging the fretboard...and not even for experts!

That all made an eerie suspicion creeping up my mind in the past days, what if... (Quotes from this site):

"Even experts can get confused, and you know not all loggers have experts on their staff. Once the lumber has been cut, it becomes more difficult to determine exactly what species it is. Many luthiers rely upon the integrity of their supplier, who may in turn rely upon the integrity of their suppliers. And, being dalbergias, two different species may exhibit great similarities, with the individual piece of wood varying enough to obscure what we think are the differences between them"

He goes on to cite another guy saying

"I think it is fair to say that it is one of the more inexact fields in science. To think that loggers and sawyers have botanists on site to differentiate between all of these species is an optimistic fantasy".

In other words, at the latest after the tree is not any longer a tree, everyone down the entire supply chain is relying on someone else's experience and their supplier's word, up to the lumber shopper in the factories and I guess (heavy speculation) all that could just as well apply to supply chains in the 50s and 60s, delivering wood to Fullerton and Kalamazoo.

Apparently, D.nigra is not even the nicest rosewood species of them all for everyone, it was just what was ubiquitous and readily available when the vintage dream guitars were built, yet its scarcity and finally strict regulation has created a lot of incentive for clandestine trading and to consciously exploit the difficulties to identify it, the lack of knowledge and the pretty irrational value put on this particular species.

1959_LP.jpg
1959 Gibson LP Standard fretboard - is this really worth all the spectacle?

Last edited:
If someone were to get into that store of Brazilian rosewood that Homer uncovered in the thread on Hamamatsu factories, then I wonder if it might look like this Snappy special order (Cat's Eyes essentially) from 1980?

Snappy

11430-9f43b3a0cba8d0bae79fd4f69a22b4b9.jpg

To fill in everyone in this thread, yesterday I discovered a Chinese forum page with a factory tour report, saying that...

I even heard that there is a constant-temperature room filled with nearly extinct items. Brazilian rosewood was accumulated decades ago! Of course, if you want to use them to make a neck fretboard, you'll have to pay quite a bit

If that's true, it's not like Tokai didn't have a supply for BR (D.nigra or not, sigh, let's assume it is D.nigra). Given that Tokai was also making a lot of acoustics (which I tend to forget), and that BR sides and backs actually create a different tone on acoustics, it appears to be pretty natural that they used BR and still have some. This also puts this assumption in a different light

It's probably not impossible that Tokai could have used Dalbergia nigra in the 80s, I'm just not sure how likely (as in "how expensive") that would've been, and whether or not anyone would've even cared for species rather than quality and attractiveness of the boards at that time.

Not that we've ever really left square one on this question, but Tokai having a nice stash of BR makes it sound totally possible that the 80s LS200s and post-2000s LS320s or the 2018 Kurosawa builds actually have D.nigra fretboards. That means any hope that the guitars could maybe be imported/exported easily/safely has taken a dive, but owners of these guitars can have higher hopes that it is "the real stuff". That makes it not any less annoying that there's no way to know for sure though. :)

Given that Tokai was also making a lot of acoustics (which I tend to forget), and that BR sides and backs actually create a different tone on acoustics, it appears to be pretty natural that they used BR and still have some.

Higher end Cat's Eyes were spec'd with Jacaranda backs and sides in the first Cat's Eyes catalog in 1975. They used ebony on the fretboards on those Jacaranda guitars.

1970s - 1975 Tokai Cat's Eyes Catalog Hi Res Scans

So whatever "Jacaranda" is, Tokai had a supply of it by 1975.

Last edited:
there's an ole saying': you can wish in one hand, **** in the other and see which fills up quicker :unsure:

One would likely obtain some certainty with that scenario but as far as determining if any 'vintage' Tokai LS examples had documented Brazilian boards, it looks like that will remain a mystery for the ages.

'50/50 odds of speculation' isn't a concept that is likely to impress me.

Where I come down on this topic is that even if someone at Tokai says to my face that it is Brazilian, that alone is not proof. It is simply a statement in need of support. Anyone can say anything.

I tend to not trust much of anything when it comes to Tokais, so have spent years doing my own digging in spite of what any "experts" have said previously. And a lot of them were dead wrong as it turns out. Just look at the registry if you have any doubts.

So call it whatever you want, but if you expect me to pay a premium for it you better have proof.

Last edited:
Interesting thread and the extent of some of the research here is impressive. I’ve come around to a similar view as @Homeras, in that there are very few high-end vintage Tokai’s (or any other brands for that matter) that have legitimate Brazilian boards.

Not vintage examples, but these “40th anniversary special order” Tokai LS412’s from Rockin are listed as Jacaranda and I believe to be actual Brazilian…
https://www.rockin.co.jp/shop/archives/100757.html
https://www.rockin.co.jp/shop/archives/105207.html
Indeed some of the most exceptional examples of anything I’ve seen produced by Tokai.

Back