Tokai LS85F or used Gibson LP Studio

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leif

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an electric guitar, having owned an acoustic for a while. I've narrowed down the choice to the above two. The Gibson is cheaper (~?600 versus ~?750). I like the finish on the Tokai better, and it is new, so issues can be fixed under warranty. Would I notice much difference in the sound of the two given the same amps? (I know this sort of question has been asked before, but I didn't really find the answer.) The Tokai has polyurethane finish which is fine by me. Is the Tokai heavy?

Weight will vary it's difficult to say which guitar will be heaviest. Warranty shouldn't be a big concern, most quality guitars that are OK on day-1 will still be OK 25 years later.

If money is an issue and you like the look of the Toaki, keep your eyes peeled here & on ebay for a used one, you see them go for 400ish used.

Soundwise there will be differences, but one shouldn't be loads better or worse than the other. Having owned both Tokais & Gibsons I'd happily gig with a nice example of either.

Depends what you're into. If you like Les Pauls, then a Tokai is perfect - binding, solid back, '50s style hardware. It looks and feels like a '50s Les Paul.

If you're only interested in the sound they're probably more or less equivalent (although the Studio's hollow back should create some differences - not necessarily worse to everyone's ears, just different).

Tokai quality control is legendary - I bought mine without seeing it and it's perfect. Many others have had this experience. If you go with the Gibson, check it very thoroughly. There are some horror stories, but you'll be fine if you get to play the guitar first and make sure everything's in order.

colinhotrod said:
I have owned both, Tokai wins hands down every time.

Exactly, a Les Paul Studio cant hang with a Tokai with MK2 pickups in it.

Here's a Studio's neck tenon...or rather let's say, here' it isn't.

studioneckcavityupclose.jpg

And here's a Tokai.

mediumtenonoftokais.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will pass on the Gibson. The Tokai is certainly far better looking.

If you can live without a flame-top there's a bargain here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16517

Read this article and open your eyes -> http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/240

If you can't play them - choose whichever looks better for you. Gibson logo VS Flame top ;) Buy it. Try it. Keep it or sell it. It doesn't really matter. Concentrate on music :wink:

Any discussion about guitar sound quality without playing it is simply a waste of time.

glaister3 said:
Can`t believe that one is still there!

Neither can I, max the dog's LSS100 is still there too, sign of the UK economy, a year ago those two would have been snapped up instantly for the asking price!

my 2 cents - My LC85 (close relative to the LS85) is awesome. It plays betters than my LS150 and the quality/playability is not far off my PRS SC245.

The shop where I bought my PRS had tons of Gibbos (studio, standard, custom, VOS..) and the PRS killed them all so I can honestly say the 85 series are cracking guitars as they are so close to the PRS.

Having said that I am not a Gibson hater I am still keen on buying a Gibbo in the future but the LC85 / LS150 will be the benchmark.

messer said:
Any discussion about guitar sound quality without playing it is simply a waste of time.

This is a fact!

I'd even go a bit further and say that rather than just an audition, probably under time pressure, it's better to own them for a while to be really sure.

As many of us now have to buy off the internet there is a tendency to look for a herd and go along with that. What can ya do? :wink:

Thanks for all the replies.

I bought myself a new acoustic guitar today. I could not imagine buying an acoustic guitar sight unseen as there is so much variation between models and makes. I also played with a Gibson LP Standard, the first electric I've tried for 30 years, and it is so different, almost a different instrument. Tried a strat too. Errr ... no, not for me!

Anyway, a couple more questions. Is it safe to buy a Tokai sight unseen? And is there much difference between the LS85/LS90 and LS150 when it comes to general sound? I know the latter has upgraded hardware (solid one piece back, one piece front, nitro finish etc), but in practice I have no idea. My problem is that the UK dealers are 200 miles away, which is a fair distance.

Leif said:
Anyway, a couple more questions. Is it safe to buy a Tokai sight unseen? And is there much difference between the LS85/LS90 and LS150 when it comes to general sound? I know the latter has upgraded hardware (solid one piece back, one piece front, nitro finish etc), but in practice I have no idea. My problem is that the UK dealers are 200 miles away, which is a fair distance.

Yes it is safe to buy a Tokai without looking at it. This rule doesn't apply to used ones, as the previous owner could have done anything to it.

You are pretty much guaranteed that the fit and finish on a new Tokai will be perfect, but the tone can vary like any guitar. If you have certain preferences, for example, weight then you will have to ask before buying it, because weights vary, maybe 8.5lbs to 10lbs.

The specs on the LS-150 are better than the LS-90, but they are a lot more expensive. Only the top coat is nitro anyway, so I don't know if that's an issue for you, and the better electronics could easily be upgraded on the LS-90 as they use the same pickups. Hardware is also easy to upgrade, but the costs start to add up, so I would always advise getting the one you want first off.

The LS-150 has the long neck tenon which is believed by many people to give you better tone, but it is hard to believe that a strong neck joint of the LS-90 type would perform any differently to the LS-150 joint with its 10mm longer little extra bit. I go for long tenon guitars because I like the craftsmanship from the old days.

LS-90 = Possibly the best value LP in existence.
LS-150 = Good value LP!

JVsearch said:
Leif said:

LS-90 = Possibly the best value LP in existence.!

Truth.

I would go for a LS150. However, I am compairing LC95 to LS135, both of my ex guitars.

LS135 was better finished, it stayed in tune forever (LC95 did not), it had clearly better hardware, long tenon, etc. LC/LS95s are great guitar for that price but the LS150s are worth of the extra money, at least if you can find a good one.

Still I don't recommend to order any guitar without seeing it first. I did order both of the Tokais and especially LS135 was a disappointment. While it was excellent work in many ways, it was heavy and acoustically death.

IMG_4659.jpg

karppi said:
LS135 was better finished, it stayed in tune forever (LC95 did not),

LC95 has Grover tuners, those things never stay in tune...nothing to do with the guitar, just the tuners.

How many guitars do you own, and how many have you sold?

karppi said:
the LS150s are worth of the extra money, at least if you can find a good one.

I've yet to play an LS150 that wasn't good...actually, great.

Diamond said:
LC95 has Grover tuners, those things never stay in tune...nothing to do with the guitar, just the tuners.
Well, those tuners had nothing to do with Grovers which are just great.

If you want buy a guitar and then upgrade it all the way, pay some money for that and still have short tenon, two piece back etc, that is one way to go. I decided to go straight for obviously better guitar and paid about 250 more euros for that. I thought that was a good call?

How many guitars do you own, and how many have you sold?

:lol: What's that got to do with anything?

IMG_4597.JPG

Latest posts

Back