1980s 1982-83 Extra Tokai launch ad

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voidoid56

Reaction score
Just got this magazine ad, apparently from either very late in '82 or early '83. I've no info on which of the Japanese guitar magazine it was placed in.
It appears to be a launch ad for 1983 models featuring the new Extra Tokai FR-style bridge, TST, FSD, SX and MBX. Interestingly, it also announces the change from the 7okai to the script logo.

Gitarrbild 230527.jpg
topp.JPG

The top section translates like this
E x su tra to 1 chi ex tra to

Nope, no idea what's going on here. Some sort of pun on "extra" or other copywriting trickery? The dots between the characters seem odd.

In 1983, new models from Tokai will be released continuously from January to June. In January, 3 original models and 4 special edition models will appear at once! The SX, TST, and FSD models mounted with the much-talked-about Extra Tokai (E.T.) will far exceed Ichrist's (artist's?) expectations and expectations. The Tokai ET, which supports a new arming plate that produces precise fine tuning, is truly what guitarists around the world have been waiting for. You can't wait for Tamon's whisper I want to check Tokai ET.

"Original models" vs "special edition" seems to refer to original designs vs copies. The first sentence dates the ad pretty conclusively to late 1982 or early '83. What the three figures behind the young girl are supossed to be I couldn't say. Either way, they look kind of like KKK via Studio Ghibli and don't do much to highlight the guitars they're carrying...

New release.JPG
Google translation:
NEW RELEASE January release ORIGINAL MODEL SX55 55,000 (E.T.): BBR (75)/ MRR (Metallic Red)/SWR (Snow White)/PGR (Pastel Green) SX65 ¥65,000 (E.T. standard equipment): BBR (Black)/MRR (Metallic Red)/SWR (Snow White)/PGR (Pastel Green) MBX45 ¥45,000 /BBR (Black)/MRR (Metallic Red)/SWR (Snow White) Released in January SPECIAL EDITION TST 80ET-ABR 80,000 (E.T.) TST 70ET- MRR (YSR) 70,000 (E.T.) FSD 65 65,000 (E.T.)BBR/MRR/SWR FSD 70 ¥70,000 (E.T.) BBR/MRR/SWR

I was not aware of PG for Pastel Green as a finish. Used on other originals as well? The TST-80 version seems to be available in all-black with rosewood neck only.

Super slide och hero.JPG

The top text here is a blurb for some sort of anti-stick neck spray. The section below that (above the strong-arm logo) reads:

The 11th Tokai Dynamic Campaign : GREAT JAPANESE HERO Until January 31, 1983.

No idea what that refers to. But whatever it is, it's been done ten times before, so I suppose the readership was expected to know what was going on?

The bottom text is instruction for ordering catalogs.

Ny logo.JPG
Translation:

With the completion of the global network, Tokai will be the new global unified logo from today. Thank you for your patronage of the new logo, and please look forward to the super goods that will be released one after another in the future. Please wait.

So, the logo change announcement. Given that they used, a number of different ones on different instruments through the years ahead, I'd hesitate to call the logo "unified", but there you go. And I wonder what "the completion of the global network" is about? They certainly made some serious and generally successful export efforts at around this time, so maybe it simply refers too that?

Also, it's interesting to note that the TST-70ET held by the girl in the pic has a 7okai logo, despite the announcement.

TST ET m 7okai.JPG

And this once again makes me wonder what they meant by "Tokai".

How do you have "extra Tokai”?

Or “fighting Tokai” who is apparently a “great Japanese hero”?

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 10.22.08 AM.png

Last edited:
Amazing. I'd love to know why they were seemingly still sending out block logos in May 83 if they had a new logo sorted at the start of the year!

Amazing. I'd love to know why they were seemingly still sending out block logos in May 83 if they had a new logo sorted at the start of the year!

Excellent question. Since the block logos (as far as I know) went exclusively to the UK, maybe that individual importer (Blue Suede Music, right?) got cold feet and demanded a logo that that was completely impossible to confuse with Fender's to close the deal with Tokai? Pure speculation, of course, but there's some logic to it.

Excellent question. Since the block logos (as far as I know) went exclusively to the UK, maybe that individual importer (Blue Suede Music, right?) got cold feet and demanded a logo that that was completely impossible to confuse with Fender's to close the deal with Tokai? Pure speculation, of course, but there's some logic to it.
Certainly a plausible theory!

It would have been something to have been a fly on the wall in that Hamamatsu plant in 1981/82/83. Head spinning changes. David and Goliath. A project team churning out a dizzying array of models often different in different markets. And a marketing department trying to translate all of that into a message to sell guitars. Would make an interesting movie. :cool:

View attachment 17219

The top text here is a blurb for some sort of anti-stick neck spray. The section below that (above the strong-arm logo) reads:

The 11th Tokai Dynamic Campaign : GREAT JAPANESE HERO Until January 31, 1983.

No idea what that refers to. But whatever it is, it's been done ten times before, so I suppose the readership was expected to know what was going on?

Tokai had regular ad campaigns. They were usually at the end of the year and extended a few weeks into the next year.

What I find interesting about this one is the message and the timing.

"Fighting Tokai, The Great Japanese Hero"

It is strong and defiant in the wake of the lawsuit in the UK with Fender. I can't help but notice the timing of it.

More musings about this here:

Tokai Means?

Last edited:
Back