Tokai KLS 190F

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
new to the forum and fairly to the wonderful world of Tokai guitars!
I recently took a risk and bought this guitar on Reverb: it's a brand new Tokai KLS 190F in Heritage Dark Cherry.
Il looks great and plays even better, so I could not be happier with my choice.
I just got some questions about the positioning of this guitar, as It is exclusive for the Japanese market (the "K" stays for Kurosawa Gakki, one of the biggest Japanese dealers who got his special series made by Tokai).
From what I understood the name of the models come from their pricing, so a LS148 Is listed at 148000¥, a LS236 at 236000¥ and so on. Is it correct?
How does the KLS 190F stand in terms of positioning? Can it be considered a High End/Premium model?
Here in Italy and in Europe generally Is hard to draw a comparison with the circulating models so I'd like to have a more clear idea about what I have in my hands.
Pics of the guitar attached, if more details are of interest feel free to ask!

Kind regards

Roberto zplrje9fqbd7d6wukcd2.jpgfpq5prti0mwp10tkm1ya.jpgffbang8mac20qkfm39fh.jpgnjx8js4to4j5ukjy9da9.jpgzn6vjagxqljqkxusdluo.jpgqwgzitfyaxfsfzc0lwxu.jpgyav6ejpwxbozpobfbyen.jpgzwdp1nuqm4m22xwdojef.jpg

Welcome.

You’re right about the K and the number referring to price in general. I have seen some cases where shop orders where it seems the person making the order chose the model name. TST50 Mary Kay’s for example.

I tend to look at specs. The F should stand for flame. Depending on the year made and the price that could be a veneer over a solid hardwood cap. Usually maple.

Have you tried contacting the store? They would know the differences.

Also, this has come up on here before. You can try a search if you haven’t already for KLS or Kurosawa.

Again welcome and congratulations.

Thank you very much!

I'm trying to contact the store to clarify if it's Nitro or Poly finish, here are the specs:

BODY : Flame Maple 2Pieces & Plan Maple 2 Pieces Top / LightWeight Mahogany Two Pieces Back
NECK:Mahogany One Piece / Hide Glue Set
NECK SHAPE:1959 Original Burst Shape
FINGERBOARD:FactoryHandselect Rosewood / Hide Glue
RADIUS:300R
FRETS:22F ♯213
SCALE:625/312.5mm
BRIDGE:LS-VB Bridge LS-VT Tailpiece
NUT(width):Bone(43.0mm)
INLAY:Dish
PICKUPS:PAF-Vintage MK2S×2
CONTROLS:2V(w/Coil Tap).,2T.,3way Toggle SW
JACKS:Switchcraft
Weight : 4.21kg

I would guess it is a poly finish.

The specs you shared are for a veneer top. Veneer tops in the modern era tend to be poly finish.

You can do an acetone test in a pickup compartment if you want to confirm that.

I got more info from the store: I was told the top is a cap and not a veneer and the finish is Polyurethane.
With regards to electronics it has CTS pots and oil cap capacitors.
I also asked about the brand of the tuning machines but he told me this information cannot be disclosed (?).

Wow. That’s hard to believe.

If I were you I would pull the pickups and look very closely at the grain as it transitions from the top into the pickup cavity.

It would be really shocking to put poly on a solid flame top.

I suspect there is a language and cultural barrier. Words are used differently in Japan. Especially words like veneer.

Even if it is veneer it’s still over top of a solid cap.

I would look for yourself and verify. I can’t tell you how often dealers are wrong about the guitars they are selling.

Let us know if you get a chance to remove a pickup. Take lots of pictures with a flash if you do.

Good luck.

You're right, seems very strange to me too.
The specs I gave are the ones on the website: it is possible, like you pointed out, that the guy that answered to my inquiry is not aware of the details and is giving out partially wrong informations.
I'll check with my guitar guy!

Thanks for supporting with advices! 😉👍

Back