Loverock pickup volumes.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glaister3

Reaction score
I recently bought an `02 MIJ Goldtop,it`s a really impressive guitar.The only thing I didn`t like were the pickups so I fitted a set of Tonerider Classics which are a great improvement.To get them balanced I`ve had to lower the neck pickup quite a long way ,but I`ve read many similar comments in the forum although I`ve never had to do this on the real LP`s that I`ve owned???? My main issue is that all the usable volume control on the neck pickup is between 1 and 3 on the knob,yet the bridge pickup is normal (1-10) The wiring,pots & caps are all stock.

Any ideas?

Normal heights for the LP with PAF type pickups is usually around flush with the pickup mounting rings, this obviously puts the bridge pickup quite a bit closer to the strings.

Have you gone below the pickup ring on the neck pickup?
Do you mean that if you turn up the neck volume past 3 it is too loud when compared to the bridge pickup which seems to be operating correctly?
Did you fit them yourself?

No, above 3 there is very little increase in volume!
The pickup is about 2mm below top of pickup ring.
All of this is through a Marshall jtm30 on 10! Not bedroom volumes! Thanks

Can we see a pic of the back of the pots? Tokai usually seem to use B 500k (linear) for volume & A 500k (log) for tone on Gibson clones, & these volume pots are quite gradual. I did try a log pot on my Love Rock for volume, & I found the reduction was not gradual enough.

Mike

Can`t do pics but yes it`s got B500k volume pots & A500k tone,the caps are the standard small green ones.I wonder if its just a naff pot.I`ve a/b`d it with a Heritage 170 that I have & the overall volumes are alike.

If the pot for the other pickup is OK, I would try replacing the offending pot, they're cheap enough. Remember to get Alpha, not CTS.

Think I shall try a new pot Are the Alpha pots all the same shaft length? None of the ads seem to make any reference to it.

They cost ?2.20 each from here, & there's a choice of 2 shaft lengths. I think I used medium, but a couple of extra washers will make them the right length if they're too long.

http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm#Alpha

Latest posts

Back