Bacchus BLS-DX ? (Quilt top BLS model)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
mentioned this in another thread and spotted another Quilt maple top Bacchus BLS.

I have spotted a total of four of these quilt top BLS examples, all within a tight serial # range.

All of these I have seen run the serial number range of 101608 to 101616.
I assume these are very limited since the serial # range is so close.
Three of these have nickle hardware & one has gold hardware.
The three with nickle hardware have the serial numbers stamped in white.
The one with gold hardware has the serial number stamped in black.

101608 = gold hardware, serial number in black (I own this one) :)

101614 = nickle hardware, serial number in white (warranty card shows BLS-DX3)
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP5CyWahG2qTWpChbuIs7vye2Ha4nC-QK6E-E70_FRoC-AGf65Cd2LnZoiwzQEgRw?key=UTc5ckpYYzRQRm9rVnByNjhuTTY0TTBNLTZFVWtn

101615 = nickle hardware, serial number in white
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p637862877?al=13&iref=alt_s

101616 = nickle hardware, serial number in white

I saw the below posted on another guitar forum, in reference to one of the examples (101615) I posted in the OP.

"as it says DLX or one off? I can find very little info on the DLX, so thoughts please..solid quilt top, long tenon, oil finish and Braz Board, back is one piece, looks like Honduran to me but I am no
mahogxpert."

(1) I have only seen these quilt top examples referred to as DX so, not sure how the DLX figures in the mix.

(2) IMO the fret boards on these are Madagascar rosewood, NOT Brazilan.

My 101608 fret board looks nearly identical to most of the recent (last couple of years) Momose fret boards listed as Madagascar.

The fret board on 101615 also has the identical color; the exception is it is flat sawn.

Don't know how that could be mistaken for Brazilan.

guitar hiro said:
spotted this on YJ; it has quilt top & is listed as a Bacchus Duke DX

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q256973175

after some digging I located an example on page 11 in the June, 2004 Deviser catalog 8)

02 DUKE DX with a MSRP of 294,000 yen

had a good look at the board and i think your correct its mad not braz, the reason it could be mistaken is that there are very very few pores in the board, and they are small...

villager said:
had a good look at the board and i think your correct its mad not braz, the reason it could be mistaken is that there are very very few pores in the board, and they are small...

The 'board on your example is very interesting as it is flat sawn which offers a very attractive grain. Most (BLS) based examples are quarter sawn to rift sawn lumber, which my example is.
I noticed the weight on your example is listed as 8 lb. - 8 oz. which is very close to mine, which weighs 8 lb. - 10 oz.
These so called DX examples are clearly based on the BLS examples yet they are a bit strange, as they have attributes of both the earlier BLS-120 & also the later BLS-59.
The head stock overlay is not 'common' to either the BLS-120, nor the BLS-59; again, a strange attribute.
IMO these are basically transition examples of the BLS product line, and given the DX designation. I am very glad to have the example I have :D

villager said:
yes rare and killer tops.. mine is an oiled finish...

out of the less than half a dozen DX quilt top examples I have seen, your example has (IMO) the nicest looking fingerboard & the quilt top is spectacular.
I noticed there was never a pick guard installed. That is a stellar example of a very rare guitar. 8)

as usual I was doing more digging on the INTERWEBZ today & I came up with a surprise.

https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop5134/DS04845208/

This example (101711) is certainly outside of the serial number range that I have listed in the OP but (1) the top is quilt maple (2) the fingerboard looks like Madagascar IMO (3) the head stock has the incomplete dimple as all of the earlier 1016** serial examples also have, and (4) the serial number is stamped in white.

This is listed as a BLP-DX but during the 101*** serial number era, there were no BLP examples; only BLS.

This is IMO yet another example of a 'transition era' BLS-DX.

This is what happens when you spend TOO MUCH time digging around on the INTERWEBZ; learning. :lol:

YMMV

It is hard to find the background of these high-end Bacchus LPs. Are they possibly order models? I have had some odd ones over the years that are not your typical off-the-shelf LP colours and finishes. My sample size is pretty small though.

Here is a Japanese page that is offline now but the "Wayback Machine" has the page saved. Someone ordered a Bacchus with custom specs.
My guess is that Deviser has been making custom-spec guitars over the years, and some of these may fall into that category.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080317124109/http://www.brown-eyes.com/studioj.htm

Hi wulfman, That is a nice one you spotted there. That looks like it could be from the BLS-59 era; I would say circa 2004/2005. Why?
The stop tail looks to be nearly flush with the maple top, which indicates the BLS-59 era recessed stud anchor set-up.

I agree with your idea about Deviser creating 'custom orders' for customer's requests over the years.
I have seen several examples that were not cataloged, non catalog colors, and attributes that are not typically contemporaneous.

I have recently been discussing (with a potential buyer) a particular Deviser example that I have, and then, out of the blue I came up with a theory on Deviser custom order guitars. If you would like to hear my theory please PM me. I think my theory actually holds water.

Thanks for that link 8)

I have owned this Bacchus BLS for 3 years but earlier today I discovered something I never realized about this example.
The control route is not milled like a BLS-120, nor a BLS-59. :eek:
When I realized this today I seriously did a double take. :lol:

Here is a list of oddball attributes for this example. 8)
* Wide body binding = like BLS-59
* Tail piece anchors not counter sunk = like BLS-120
* Neck heel shape = like BLS-120 & BLS-59
* Live Road Model logo = like BLS-120 & BLS-59
* Neck thickness = between known BLS-120 & BLS-59 examples
* Control route = NOT like BLS-120, or BLS-59
* Head stock face over lay = NOT like BLS-120, or BLS-59
* Molded pick guard = like BLS-95

I am confident the pick guard is original to the guitar as I have seen this type of molded pick guard on BLS Live Road Model examples in the 101*** serial number range, and also, the pick guard plastic is aged comparable to the other plastics on the guitar.
This is the same type of molded pick guard seen on BLS-95 examples; these pre-date BLS-120 examples which typically have die cut guards.

I'm researching other control routes to locate a similarly milled MIJ Les Paul, from the era.
TBC .............

my Bacchus DX has become one of my favorite Lesters :) as it has a great combination of fantastic attributes 8)

I read the below comment recently from over the hills & far away, and it made me laugh :lol: out loud.
"Bacchus DX and some Duke models use Honduran.
I'm not 100% sure about the DX models though." :lol:

Very confident my DX is made from African Mahogany aka Khaya, as every BLS example I have owned has been made with African 'hog, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to (day) dream :lol:

If you can get your hands on a DX I don't believe you would be disappointed, no matter the lumber used; they are fantastic guitars

Hi all, I'm the owner of the BLS-DX with the 101711 serial number and I don't know the specs, but there used to be an old (now gone) thread link where a guy gave information about Bacchus guitars and the Bacchus BLS-120, BLS-59's, etc. where he said that Bacchus DID make some of their BLS LP's with Brazilian rosewood fretboards(he mentioned the DX models), but that these were exceedingly rare and special order.

I've owned and sold quite a few of the Bacchus Classic line guitars including their Les Paul's (part of me wanted to be the Bacchus equivalent of Johnny Appleseed, buying Bacchus guitars from Japan and then selling them in the US market used to spread the gospel of Bacchus.... only the Made in Japan models, of course), great guitars, and you used to be able to buy them for very cheap before the word got out(lol).

I can confirm that it's a great guitar, don't know if the back is Honduran or African, but I agree that most of the Bacchus LP's I've owned most likely had African, I surmise, owing to the grain pattern.

101711 has a GREAT quilted maple top, abalone inlays instead of the typical acrylic, and the board is very nice/I always just assumed it was Brazilian due to the Bacchus thread that I mentioned before. Can't tell what the back is as the back and neck are painted black.

My finish is definitely not oil, it's a lacquer finish.

As to how good of a guitar it is, I also owned a Crews Maniac 59 FM J with Brazilian fretboard, the special pickups from the guy who designed and made the Greco Dry Z's back in the day and a killer top and I sold it/kept the Bacchus.

Just didn't bond with it.

This is the only Bacchus that I've ever owned with the abalone inlays so I'm inclined to think that it's a special order item and that's why I'd like to believe it has a Brazilian rosewood fretboard. (as in, who'd go to all the trouble to spec in abalone and get Madagascar?)

Just my two cents, glad to see that Bacchus and Momose are finally being recognized for the great instruments they are!! Have two Bacchus Strats, a rare non-volute Bacchus Les Paul Custom, and a Bacchus '62 Jazz bass copy currently that's killer.

Used to own a regular Bacchus korina flying V and Explorer back in the day, wish I'd held onto them after seeing what they're going for now, even in Japan!!

PS If you ever get a chance to buy a Bacchus BFV-2010K, but IT!!! Great guitars, finish is just amazing, gold hardware pops, and they sure are puuuuuuurrrrty... had to sell mine to pay some bills, sadly, but what a beaut!!

I also reached out to Bacchus to see if they had any info on my serial 101711 serial number guitar and even sent them pics, but apparently Bacchus didn't keep records from back then!!

Happy trails to you, sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread, and good luck Bacchus hunting!

amazanman44 said:
Hi all, I'm the owner of the BLS-DX with the 101711 serial number and I don't know the specs, but there used to be an old (now gone) thread link where a guy gave information about Bacchus guitars and the Bacchus BLS-120, BLS-59's, etc. where he said that Bacchus DID make some of their BLS LP's with Brazilian rosewood fretboards(he mentioned the DX models), but that these were exceedingly rare and special order.

I've owned and sold quite a few of the Bacchus Classic line guitars including their Les Paul's (part of me wanted to be the Bacchus equivalent of Johnny Appleseed, buying Bacchus guitars from Japan and then selling them in the US market used to spread the gospel of Bacchus.... only the Made in Japan models, of course), great guitars, and you used to be able to buy them for very cheap before the word got out(lol).

I can confirm that it's a great guitar, don't know if the back is Honduran or African, but I agree that most of the Bacchus LP's I've owned most likely had African, I surmise, owing to the grain pattern.

101711 has a GREAT quilted maple top, abalone inlays instead of the typical acrylic, and the board is very nice/I always just assumed it was Brazilian due to the Bacchus thread that I mentioned before. Can't tell what the back is as the back and neck are painted black.

My finish is definitely not oil, it's a lacquer finish.

As to how good of a guitar it is, I also owned a Crews Maniac 59 FM J with Brazilian fretboard, the special pickups from the guy who designed and made the Greco Dry Z's back in the day and a killer top and I sold it/kept the Bacchus.

Just didn't bond with it.

This is the only Bacchus that I've ever owned with the abalone inlays so I'm inclined to think that it's a special order item and that's why I'd like to believe it has a Brazilian rosewood fretboard. (as in, who'd go to all the trouble to spec in abalone and get Madagascar?)

Just my two cents, glad to see that Bacchus and Momose are finally being recognized for the great instruments they are!! Have two Bacchus Strats, a rare non-volute Bacchus Les Paul Custom, and a Bacchus '62 Jazz bass copy currently that's killer.

Used to own a regular Bacchus korina flying V and Explorer back in the day, wish I'd held onto them after seeing what they're going for now, even in Japan!!

PS If you ever get a chance to buy a Bacchus BFV-2010K, but IT!!! Great guitars, finish is just amazing, gold hardware pops, and they sure are puuuuuuurrrrty... had to sell mine to pay some bills, sadly, but what a beaut!!

I also reached out to Bacchus to see if they had any info on my serial 101711 serial number guitar and even sent them pics, but apparently Bacchus didn't keep records from back then!!

Happy trails to you, sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread, and good luck Bacchus hunting!

Great to see the owner of BLS-DX # 101711 pop into the thread 8) You have one of the rarest & likely one of the nicest MIJ Les Pauls out there :D
If I recall correctly the quilt top on yours is finished in some type of medium/dark blue color?
Glad you popped into the (dead) thread :lol: and revived it.

As for 'Bacchus hunting' I purchased my first Bacchus back in 2005, near the end of 'Vintage Series' production.
I have owned about ~50 Bacchus examples, and I still own 11 Bacchus examples; the majority from the Vintage Series era.
The thing now is finding good Bacchus examples is becoming much more difficult than it used to be, not that I'm looking to buy but I'm always looking. :lol:

As I stated in the OP from 2018 I have seen only a hand full of these Bacchus BLS solid quilt top examples; as far as I can tell they are BLS-DX. All of these very few examples I have seen have a slight bluish tint to the inlay material which is very curious. When I first received this example I really didn't know what it was other than a BLS Live Road Model so, I nicknamed it 'Unk' for unknown. Even though my research ultimately determined what this example is the nickname stuck and this one is still known as Unk. :LOL:

I have had Unk now for just shy of 8 years. The photos from the YJ Auction listing were terrible. From looking at the listing photos I thought there was a bit of flame but I was uncertain. When I received the guitar in late 2017 I was like, WTF, it's quilt.
This is the only example I have seen with gold hardware and as far as I can tell this example is all original. It's a bit beat up but nothing bad; just played a lot and well broke in. The neck is just a bit thinner than I prefer but not a huge deal. It has a Madagascar fingerboard. The NOBLE pots have the least friction of any pots I own on any guitar; they are such a breeze to turn!! This one weighs 8 lb. - 10.5 oz. so, it's not super heavy.
I own a few fairly unique, even rare LPs and this one is likely one of my favorite three or four carved top examples. It is one of those guitars that just has that little something extra.

BLS quilt.jpg

BLS quilt lower.jpg

BLS-UNK 7.jpg

BLS-UNK 5.jpg

BLS-UNK 12.jpg

Latest posts

Back