Wiring on pickup.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger

Reaction score
I'm attempting to replace a p90 pickup on my TJ-60. I want to fit a Lollar P90. The current pickup has 2 wires splitting off onto two different points on the volume pot. The Lollar only has 1 wire.

My question is where do I solder the wire to?

IMG_0971-1.jpg

The yellow wire is the old pickup - I have circled where it is currently connected to.

The hookup wire should have a shield. You can see it when you cut off a little from the out plastic/cloth. This shielding should go to the lug which is connected with the metal case of the pot.
Hope that helps!

Le us know the sonic results, assuming you get through the wiring hassle. I've read quite a few people here saying they don't like the stock P-90 on their TJ60s. I think mine sounds fine. Better than the stock Duncan P-90 on my Edwards, in fact. Though this could be because the Tokai has better electronics. The Edwards has 250K pots (why?) & a fairly tatty looking little ceramic capacitor (soon to be replaced!)

Well - my soldering isn't exactly industrial standard - but I got the job done. I am very happy with the sound - there is definatley less noise / hum than the stock tj-60 pup.

Soundwise - the cleans are well pronounced - the bass is a little deeper - seems to have a little more range. - I'm not very good at describing sounds - and may not even have the ear for it - but the overdriven sound is gorgeous.

I mean - ?68 is a cheap upgrade - but it has improved the guitars sound.

Cool. I have a Duncan Antiquity dogeared P-90 lying around, so I might shove it in the TJ-60 if I can be bothered (the biggest if of them all!). Then again, I might stick it in the Edwards as it would jive with the Edwards' relic-ed look.
Enjoy your TJ60! (don't you just love that FAT neck? I do) :wink:

Mine cost ?400 second hand. Hard to get hold of. Read Harmony Central reviews to see what people think:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Tokai/TJ-60+Love+Rock+Junior+TV/10/1

Mine weighs in at approx 7.5 - 8 lbs scales aren't very accurate!

But it's well made and very resonant. And with a decent pickup its good to go.

spikeymikey said:
How much are these Tokai juniors and how do they compare with an original?

They have a two piece back & a very thick 50s profile neck. Official UK rrp is ?599. I got mine for ?325. Deals can be had. Mine plays beautifully & has great sustain. Better sustain than my Edwards relic version which has a one piece body & the covetted 'long neck tenon'. The stock pickup on the Tokai sounds to me like a modern Gibson P-90. It could be a tad warmer sounding but definitely doesn't lack power as some have claimed. Just my observation.
BTW, the sweetest sounding Junior I have is an 80s Burny w/ a 3-piece back & stock P-90.
"Goes to show you never can tell"
Chuck Berry

Back