Trying to figure out mystery gold top.....?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JandG

Reaction score
I purchased a supposed proto of earlly to mid 80's, Tokai 57 gold top from Tak @ Kantana guitars in Japan, it has no seriel #'s & has no Love Rock logo. Here is what I have found so far. After pulling the pickups they are indeed Dimarzio, they say on they on what looks to be a brass colored surface -DiMarzio Pickups then under that Made in USA, on both bridge & neck, they are creme & look there age. I pulled bith controle cover which are cream, inside is all braided wire & no curcuit board, the pot #'s are 504042 then under that is 8D K, then the caps read 0.022uf Fujicon 600wv. all looks to be factory original & not messed with. The toggle controle is square. I pulled bridge & under it says..SG.Bridge .F-8107 -Made in Japan. Under tail piece it says SG TailPice-Made in Japan .
It has a mahagony neck for sure & from the pickup cavity you can see & measure a 1/2" maple cap with no visible glue up splice. Body it definately mahagony. You can see some of the red undercoat in there also. The 2 screw, top & bottom, truss rod cover is the bell shape of the 80's with the white outline, but when I removed it the mystery got more strange, it has 4 hole under it , 3 on bottom , the truss rod retainer even has the proper rust, what the heck is this dang thing..? all hard ware , screws etc.......show proper age. I just don't get it. I have alot of detailed picture, but haven't figure out how to get them on here yet. If anyone has some ideas of the year & orgin, it would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
J & G

Here are the pictures of the Tokai gold top

Latest posts

Back