Tokai switches

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mole Man said:
My ES-130 is currently at the repairer's awaiting a pickup upgrade. I am now wondering whether it is worth having the switch, pots and output jack upgraded at the same time? Any advice bestowed would be gratefully received...

Best regards,
Darren/MM

My motto is "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

[/quote]My motto is "if it aint broke, dont fix it"[/quote]

Fair enough, but do consider that whilst replacing the pickups they will have access to the wiring loom and so it makes sense to me at any rate in order to head off any future trouble.

Best regards,
Darren/MM

Yup..good point. While they're in there tinkering with it would be the best time to do it all. However, you won't have the benefit of just trying the pickups to see if that did the trick and save a couple bucks.

I'm taking my ES130 to my tech tomorrow to get the out of phase mod done, & I'm wondering whether to get him to replace the switch while he has it stripped down. Sounds like it might be the safest option.

Is there any reason to change the pots or jack? They seem fine to me, but we seem to have established that the switches are not as good as they could be.

stratman323 said:
I'm taking my ES130 to my tech tomorrow to get the out of phase mod done, & I'm wondering whether to get him to replace the switch while he has it stripped down. Sounds like it might be the safest option.

Is there any reason to change the pots or jack? They seem fine to me, but we seem to have established that the switches are not as good as they could be.

Will you get an out-of-phase mod, or a Peter Green Mod done?

I don't see any sense in changing the jack, I never had problems with none of them in my guitars, nor did I ever heard there were any. But maybe you want to have something like a Neutrik output jack,-)))

Same with the potis, never had any major problems, but sometimes a new wiring kit incl. pots can make a sound difference. There are 10+ threads about this issue on the LPF with the RS Guitarworks wiring kits.

Personally I would only change a poti if it is damaged or I would dislike its characteristic of adjusting.

stratman323 said:

No need to take it to a tec if you are just doing the mag flip, I did this only last night on my epiphone and it is easy ( My epi has uncoverd humbuckers though ) Google peter green mod and you will find alot of info on how to do it but check the seymour duncan web site first , no pics but good info.

In a rare (for the Tokai forum) attempt to stay on topic, let's keep the discussions about out-of-phase wiring to this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9603&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It started out about Love Rocks, but has evolved into a discussion about the Peter Green mod to the ES models. And, no, I won't be attempting the work myself!

Back