Tokai SG of Unknown Model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for all your help.

After playing it cor a good few hours through a combination of Marshall heads I own, it conclude the picks are ‘good enough’ but they don’t have enough clarity and bite. I’m going to replace them. My 1987x is very revealing and they sound a bit spongey on the bass and veiled on the top end.

For reference, I recently replaced the entire loom of a 2002 ES100 and then changed the pickups to unpotted Bareknuckle ‘stormy Monday’ PAFs and the result was just incredible. I can’t recommend unpotted pickups enough, for bright chiming tones and stunning clarity. I’m going to do the same with this guitar as it deserves it.

Through the JCM900’s I own, a Dual Reverb and an SLX, they sound fine for high gain sounds.

The guitar is so resonant and has great acoustic tone, I’ve got to get this potential out!

Sounds good. The MK3 pickups I believe can run a bit hot and sound a bit nasally.

I would definitely try swapping them out. Let us know how it turns out.

A quick update - I got the SG75 back from a fret dress as it was chocking out in a number of areas. Its SO good now, I am again really pleased with my latest member of the Tokai fold. Wonderful neck, great superb vibe and feel.

I just ordered a set of unpotted Bare Knuckle 57 PAF style pickups to go in and I will more than likely rewire it too. Incredible player for under a grand.

Back