Tokai LP Junior copy vs Gibson models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanN

Reaction score
Gents, how does the Tokai TJ78 stack up against the Gibson LPJs? They can be had for similar money as far as I can see.

I've been looking at the Gibson LP double cut "faded" model with two P90s - has anyone played one of these?

Yes, I played one of them in a shop earlier this year, & I was quite impressed. Fairly slim necks, & thin lacquer - I assume they're nitro. Not expensive either. I'm not sure that everyone is impressed with them though, I'm sure I read some negative reviews online somewhere.

I have a 1997 Gibson LP Special, & it's not a bad guitar either - and you can get them on eBay for ?400 to ?500. Despite the poly lacquer, I still prefer my LS85S, there seems to be more depth to the sound, maybe because of the maple top?

Mike

The Gibbo fadeds are okay - but kind of rough in finish.

The Edwards Juniors are far better in my opinion - the Seymour Duncan P90's sound fantastic with a minor upgrage of a bumblebee cap. Light as feathers, nice thin nitro.

Thanks chaps - didn't even think of looking at Edwards, d'oh. I'll have a poke around.

I don't mind a thin or scrappy finish - I think this one will be a workhorse, so it'll get more knocks than a front door.

AlanN said:
Thanks chaps - didn't even think of looking at Edwards, d'oh. I'll have a poke around.

I don't mind a thin or scrappy finish - I think this one will be a workhorse, so it'll get more knocks than a front door.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/jr/E-JR-85LT.html

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/ls/E-LS-90LT.html

i actually managed to try the edwards dc junior (but the two pickup version, with tune-o-matic, i think it was an old version, i guess that makes it a "special") against the gibson... i actually didn't mind the gibson, but the finish was a bit rough as marcusnieman said. i preferred the edwards, an electronics upgrade, as marcusnieman suggested, would be a good call, and would probably put the edwards quite a bit above the gibson. personal preference, and all that, though. :)

however, now's the wrong time to buy from japan, considering you're in the UK... :(

Dave_Mc said:
i actually managed to try the edwards dc junior (but the two pickup version, with tune-o-matic, i think it was an old version, i guess that makes it a "special") against the gibson... i actually didn't mind the gibson, but the finish was a bit rough as marcusnieman said. i preferred the edwards, an electronics upgrade, as marcusnieman suggested, would be a good call, and would probably put the edwards quite a bit above the gibson. personal preference, and all that, though. :)

however, now's the wrong time to buy from japan, considering you're in the UK... :(

Yeah, the double cut Special is very nice and very scarce. I'd suggest trying to find a second hand Junior but they are few and far between. I think people tend to keep them.

marcusnieman said:
Yeah, the double cut Special is very nice and very scarce. I'd suggest trying to find a second hand Junior but they are few and far between. I think people tend to keep them.

yeah. i'd have bought it only it was in a guitar shop, so was only slightly less than i could have imported one for new (that was back when the exchange rate was more favourable :lol: )...

:)

Dave_Mc said:
marcusnieman said:

yeah. i'd have bought it only it was in a guitar shop, so was only slightly less than i could have imported one for new (that was back when the exchange rate was more favourable :lol: )...

:)

Keep your eyes open for them.....you never know what you might find:

70's Univox Limited Edition LP Special double cut (this was a pawn shop prize for $150 and sounds amazing):

CIMG0692.jpg

CIMG0691.jpg

CIMG0688.jpg

CIMG0690.jpg

AlanN, I had considered one of the Gibson faded's for quite a while. In fact, GC had a blow out sale Memorial Day and I could have grabbed one w/o case for $458.00! I passed though.

I did snag this mutt 1958 Les Paul Junior a couple of weeks ago. Refinished and numberous replaced parts ......... but the tone and playability are extreme.

Joe58LPJr030a.jpg

marcusnieman said:
Keep your eyes open for them.....you never know what you might find:

70's Univox Limited Edition LP Special double cut (this was a pawn shop prize for $150 and sounds amazing):

wow, that's great! here cash converters (pawn shop chain store type thing) seems to only have starter guitars going for about ?300... :-? :(

Hi I have a Tokai Double-cut jr style Love Rock, it's from 2000 and I got mine out of the local paper, few scratches and tiny dings and I paid $450.00 Canadian. I've had it for about a year now and would absolutley never sell mine, I'd rather sell a kidney. I'm thinking about upgading the pickup but that's about it. I tried out a new gibby the day before I went to see the Tokai and I couldn't justify the nearly $1000 difference and the gibby jr was a limited edition or some such b.s. Can't say a bad word about the Tokai I`ve got though. Anyway I kept the picture from the paper here it is

2ym7vh5.jpg

Good Luck !!!!! :lol:

togps said:
I do stock some Tokai Juniors
2 pcs. body in cherry
1 pcs. body in faded cherry
Alan, email sent

Look for the stunning grain of this one piece! mahogany SG body.
Actually, the baby is for sale... :wink:

img6401mediumyj8.jpg

img6407mediumdc3.jpg

img6406mediumus0.jpg

Ach, beautiful! I'm just waiting to hear on whether I can get my hands on an Edwards DC, but if not I'll be in touch with you Gottfried. I'll let you know either way!

I really like that faded cherry jr. you got there !!!!!! Of course i'm partial to these guitars but that one is lovely !!!!!! I see you are in Europe, does it have that funny export dimple headstock ?? I was surprised that they sell for so much new, when i got mine it was a case of "you are mine" They are a fairly basic guitar, does the price reflect supply & demand ??

brokentoes said:
I really like that faded cherry jr. you got there !!!!!! Of course i'm partial to these guitars but that one is lovely !!!!!! I see you are in Europe, does it have that funny export dimple headstock
No!

img6397mediumww1.jpg

img6396mediummw4.jpg

Latest posts

Back