strap locks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got straplocks fitted on all the guitars I own - Schallers on Danelectros, or where there's a strap button normally at the neck joint (and hence little clearance) - Marvel system for LP's / Teles.

It certainly IS possible to drop a guitar. I also play sax and have had a few expensive repairs to vintage saxes after the sling unexpectedly gave way. Dropping a 1924 Conn alto which you've just spent months lovingly restoring is a bit of a drag.

With guitars, there's always the risk that the strap wears, you don't spot it, or it just pops off for no apparent reason.

Sometimes in life you have to admit to being (slightly) wrong, and I now believe that Stratman's assessment of schaller straplocks to be... well... along the right lines, at least.

I still don't believe that they make the strap buttons come loose any worse than standard buttons. Mine were rock solid for over 5 years thanks to the matchstick/woodglue solution and were actually rather difficult to remove. He is however spot on with the comment about the poor fit of the two parts. The lower button on my love rock never had any problems but the upper one always used to be dirty because the scraping action of the lock was stripping away the nickel plating of the button groove - at the end there was an exposed brass ring in there that looked like it had been lathed!

As the lower button was unaffected by this i think this problem would probably vary from model to model.

Other issues with schallers - you can't stand the guitar on the floor while they're on because the nubbins are too small and too tall, the nuts that secure the strap can work loose over time, and the buttons are a poor fit if you ever use a strap without the locks fitted.

My new solution... Dunlop strap locks! :lol: The dual-design buttons have a much more classic look and can be used without the locks, the ball bearing based lock is much better fitted and less abrasive on the metal, the wide flare of the lock means you can stand it up, and the circlip design is much stronger and more stable than the nut-and-bolt schallers. I haven't heard of many people using these but I've had them for a few months now and I'm more than happy. Anyone else using them?

I use Dunlop dual design straplocks. They are great, easier to mount than schaller and they look a bit more durable. I always had a problem with schallers cause the nut would come loose every now and then.

The bear discussion is another thread :lol:
Prefer straplocks because I only own one guitar strap :oops:

Dunlop vs Schaller? Regardless of what has been said about things coming loose, this can happen with any strap button. When I can buy a set of Schallers for $15 US, and extra buttons for $5 at most, all my guitars are safe. The newer Schallers have a bigger screw. I had this problem with my Jacksons that had a much larger screw than the Schallers, and had to grind down the heads of a larger screw to fit the Schaller as well as drill the hole slightly larger to accomidate the larger screw.

Still, have been using them for over 20 years without fail. When the Dunlop flush mount came out it got me thinking again; although I had one horrible incedent with dunlops that cost me $500, the benefits for me were worth the effort. I used to play almost all V style guitars, the flush mount made the guitar closer to your body, and there was less forward tip. While I don't trust them as much as the Schallers, they hang closer and feel more comfortable for V's. I first learned of this when Dave Mustaine used them on all his ESP's after he left Jackson.

Friends, Whatever you choose, speaking from experience and one horrible mishap :oops: :oops: . Please don't take straplocks for granted. As long as they are properly mounted and the screws are the right fit, Schallers will never fall off. I am telling you this as a 15 year experienced machinist. The mishap I had was with Dunlop, and my fault that I didn't make sure it was all the way in and locked.

The other benefit is that you can have one favorite strap, but have Straplock buttons on all your guitars, and use the same strap for all of them. I don't think there is any hype, except mfg's should wake up and put them on their guitars stock. I bet you will feel the same way after you drop a $1500 guitar on a concrete floor. Either way; ALWAYS, DOUBLE CHECK!!!

Since the forum chaps have tipped me off to them, I use the red rubber gaskets from Grolsch beer bottles. They work great and no mods are needed:

http://209.92.159.54/store/files/detail/15-805.gif

One that works for me is 1/2" rubber hose washers - either one or two on each strap pin, depending on how loose the strap is.

Done this on sevaeral guitars and no failures as yet (fingers crossed). Very low cost alternative. :)

Back