OEM versions of 1989 VC-75 and VC-55 with different headstock shapes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitarrero

Reaction score
Dear Tokai community,

I am located in Germany and recently acquired a guitar that looks almost identical to the 1989 Tokai "Super Limited" VC-75 (Vivian Campbell signature) in Cherry Sunburst finish, with the exception of the headstock.

20240106_100928.jpg20240106_101322.jpg
All the major specs mentioned in the 1989 catalog check out. However, the front pickup does not have any logo. The rear pickup was replaced by the previous owner. The licensed Floyd Rose system is a Takeuchi TRS-101, the tuners are Gotoh, and the locking nut has interesting grooves for string alignment in the base and locking pads which are about 0.5mm shorter than the standard Schaller/Floyd Rose/Gotoh equivalents. There is a production stamp "z-14" under the pickups, and there are hand-written markings in the neck pocket.

20240104_182120.jpg20240104_181753.jpg

The key observation is that the headstock shape differs from the one used on the Tokai VC series, and it shows no logo or serial number whatsoever. If you look at it from a certain angle (impossible to photograph) you can tell that there are traces of letters that spell MONARCH, either a removed screen print, or a logo covered under a black finish coat.

20240106_101022.jpg

I did some WWW research on my VC-75 lookalike and found a guitar which is identical to the Tokai VC-55 except for the headstock, which has the same shape as mine, and it features a MONARCH logo. The brand MONARCH was used in the 1980s for Hi-Fi and audio products by the German company Inter-Mercador that is now known as MONACOR.

H54BTFb.jpegrFRPCVL.jpegwNcfAmp.jpeg6Y6jPgE.jpeg

The question is - how did these guitars come about? What is known about Tokai manufacturing OEM guitars for diverse brands? Has anybody come across more MONARCH branded Tokai guitars?

Cool guitar, but I'm not so sure that Tokai made that.

The pickup tab routs are more elongated than typical for Tokai.

Also the holes in the neck pocket are not countersunk

The code is very similar looking to Tokai though. But the Z should be a number indicating the month made.

I wonder if it was some sort of partnership? I have long wondered about hybrid production by Tokai using Korean production in part.

Some Tokai VC examples here:

VC Gallery

Tokai absolutely did OEM production for other labels. Almost from day one.

As I said there are some characteristic things that are not typical Tokai. It’s possible someone else made it. Or it was made in a different time period.

Do you have any background on the guitar?

Have you tried contacting MONACOR? They may have some records.

Contacting Monacor might be an idea. The logo looks like the old MONARCH logo indeed but I used to order cheap parts there around '89/'90, and I can't remember guitars in the Monacor catalogs. Maybe my brain blocked them out because they were pointy. :)

I was wondering recently where Tokai may have acquired the FR style vibratos (e.g. the Ayers Rock and this one) and if that would've been Takeuchi (since I wouldn't know of any other Japanese company that "licensed" them). The part on the VC75 sure looks like a Takeuchi, but then again that just looks like a Floyd Rose anyway.

Unfortunately I can't finy any interior pics of a VC75 (or 55) to compare this with. The "z" could also be half of a '2' and some dirt or reflection. The countersunk neck pocket holes....

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 22.05.39.jpg

...I've seen similar (but on all 4 holes then) on mid-90s CIJ Fender guitars I think, more tool marks than countersunk holes. We'd need to dissect a VC to compare I guess.

Thanks for the feedback. It would be great to see gut shots from other VC-75 models for comparison.

I will try to contact MONACOR next week.

The previous owner of my guitar bought it many years ago from a professional used guitars dealer. He told him that the guitar was a one-off "messe model" which is most likely referring to a sample brought to the Frankfurt Musikmesse trade show. Although direct sales were not allowed during the messe, it was common practice for many overseas exhibitors to sell off their booth through the back door after the show to reduce shipping costs.

Last edited:
The code is very similar looking to Tokai though. But the Z should be a number indicating the month made.

The "z" could also be half of a '2' and some dirt or reflection.
Let us suppose the "z" is actually the number 2, would "2-14" then point to February 14th? And what about the year?

Does the truss rod and its access route look like Tokai production?

20240104_182613.jpg

The locking nut says "2-R". This reminds me of the original Floyd Rose designation "R2".

20240105_171903.jpg

Unfortunately, the code on the volume pot is covered by solder.

20240104_182413.jpg

Does the appearance of the front pickup (i.e., its base plate) ring any bells? The bridge pickup is a DiMarzio Evolution that the previous owner put in.

20240104_182207.jpg

Last edited:
I rummaged the Japanese web for interior pictures and it seems there are none to find. Without these images it's not possible to compare any details. These guitars are very different from what's known from Tokai. The best you can hope for is that some VC75 images turn up at some point in the future.

That being said, the MONARCH guitar you found on reddit is strikingly similar to the VC55 (minus the headstock), dot inlays, chrome FR. If Tokai was not involved in this, some company seems to have copied the 2 Tokai copy variants closely (minus the headstock). That may seem weird, but isn't entirely impossible I guess.

Neither the Tokais not your guitar seem to have a serial number, so no year could be derived from that. If that's a '2' on the stamp that would mean February, but the stamp usually has a counterpart on the neck heel. The Tokais are in the '89 catalog and the original Rand guitars were made the same year (?) after a few prototypes in '87. The pot seems to show a date code starting with a 7 but the image is too blurry to tell if that's even a part of the date code. That would be a 2-3 year old pot then, or one made in '97.

Yeah I’m seeing a 1987 pot too. Looks like July 1987. 77.

The rest I don’t recognize.

The VC Tokai models are pretty uncommon. Too bad we don’t have more pics to compare with yours.

So the main thing for me disqualifying it as a Tokai were the tab routs. So I just looked at Super Edition guitars around this 1987 period and was shocked to see similar routs.

1985 SD50

IMG_9556.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9555.jpeg
    IMG_9555.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 0
So now the focus in my mind is on that “z” mark. Do you have a better picture of it? Wondering if it’s actually a 2 or a 12?

Hmmm. I need to look up 4 stamps now from this period and see if they are the same font.

So all that said, it could be a Tokai after all?

And it could have been made in April 1988 which could have been months ahead of when guitars were photographed for the 1989 catalog.Enough time to change the headstock design.

Interesting.

I wonder if the headstock design you have ran afoul of someone’s copyright claims?

Tokai made numerous adjustments to its copy models for that reason.

This is the closest picture I have found to him with a similar model. Not sure what the headstock was. I will keep looking.

Would this be a Kramer with the reverse headstock?

3c82c8b32552aca3cf789037d5e70001.jpg

Back