SG-75 Owners?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine few weeks ago, 2nd hand. Guitar was made 07 according to serial. I find it wery perfect guitar. Other guitars I have are Jakson RR from 1987 and Wilkinson Vintage SG.

Perfect SG?s to me! I do not like those thin Gibbo SG necks (RI models) so the SG85 necks are the real deal! I love?em!
"ACY"

ACY said:
I do not like those thin Gibbo SG necks (RI models)
"ACY"

She likes em:

GibsonSGP6274931f1.jpg

Must be a Fake, and it?s a Tokai with a Gibson headstock veneer!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ...........................

cheers, "ACY"

At the risk of being pedantic, I notice that the neck p/up has been flipped, adjustable polepieces down. Unusual for what I assume is a Gibson promo picture.

Sort of like, in the mid 60's, noticing that Jane Fonda was wearing earrings in a rather well-known poster of the period..

And, no.. I don't believe that either of them are fakes. :eek:

Mick51 said:
At the risk of being pedantic, I notice that the neck p/up has been flipped, adjustable polepieces down. Unusual for what I assume is a Gibson promo picture.

Sort of like, in the mid 60's, noticing that Jane Fonda was wearing earrings in a rather well-known poster of the period..

And, no.. I don't believe that either of them are fakes. :eek:

LOL.... man, you studied that. You mean that guitar has pickups?

I had a Greco 335 (below) with factory Gibson p'ups and like the SG, the neck p'up was flipped. Always wondered about that - would it have any effect on the tone?

CIMG0802.jpg

marcusnieman said:
I had a Greco 335 (below) with factory Gibson p'ups and like the SG, the neck p'up was flipped. Always wondered about that - would it have any effect on the tone?

CIMG0802.jpg

Marcus, as I'm sure you know, when you PG mod a pickup, it is normally mounted with the polepieces down. That's because you get an increasingly larger subtractive effect as you move the adjustable polepieces closer together. (and because that's how Peter Green did it..)

I would expect that reversing the p/up mounting on a "normal" HB would make a rather small change due to the change in harmonic structure on the strings that the p/up is seeing, and the rather minor change in the vibrational amplitude on the strings. You could pretty easily run the output into an o'scope and look at the waveforms to see for sure.

You're welcome to disagree. As I've said elsewhere, some folks can hear differences between silver and copper leads on capacitors. But, not me.

Hi, I?m about to buy a second Tokai SG as spare guitar of just same kind for my gig rig.

I became a bit suspicious it (one i?, about to buy) being a 75 since the body appears to be made from two pieces and neck pocket & housing does not look as smoothly made as it looks in my 07 made SG75. My guitar body is also made of one piece.
Sides of headstock are also made from several pieces, not single one as it is in my 75.

Any opinions out there for this model comparison ??

https://webmail.mbnet.fi/src/download.php?startMessage=1&passed_id=7476&mailbox=INBOX&ent_id=2&passed_ent_id=2

https://webmail.mbnet.fi/src/download.php?startMessage=1&passed_id=7476&mailbox=INBOX&ent_id=3&passed_ent_id=3

Could it be it is 43 model...and i?m being asked 75 model price...gotta start making the point clear to seller if it appears not to be 75

I think maybe you just have a very expectionally made first '75 in which you can't see the seams. It should have a 2 piece body as well (the top model has a 1-piece body), and the sides of the headstock are usually like that. I'm guessing you just can't see it on your other guitar. But, that said, if you're suspicious about the guitar perhaps being a lower model, then definitely do more digging. Good luck!

Jason

You are correct Billy, if that guitar is an SG-75 then it has a 2 oiece body. There have been quite a few guys over the years on this forum that thought that they had a 1 piece body only to discover later that it is in fact a 1 piece body. The SG-175 is 1 piece and quite a bit more expensive.

Mick

ok, thanx for tips. If the serial is as asual the one I?m aboyt to buy is made in 05. The headstock actually is made just the same way in both these guitars. It seems to be ok guitar all the way.

Back