Pickups sound clips for comparison?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
I see people talking about VH-1's, Dry's, Gotohs, etc. as being good and close to Gibson PAFs, but it's hard for me to imagine what PAFs sound(ed) like.

Does anybody have clips of these (and other) pickups that could be used to compare?
I know that part of the pickup magic comes from its response when you are actually playing and that won't be part of the experience if you're just listening, but still, I'd like to hear what's so good about some of these pickups.

Thanks,
Bill

Gottfried,

do you really think we can lead our members to the archive or search button ... ??? 8)
They all want to be a "guitar god" as soon as possible by posting ... :wink: :wink:

BTW - so did I - but I'm no "guitar god" in reality ... just one of the numerous amateurs here ... :roll: :wink:

Roger

I must admit I can't tell the difference bewteen all the samples! :oops:

The biggest differences I heards were in the playing ( more attack on some versions)

I must admit I can't tell the difference bewteen all the samples!

Hi Sir,

that was the problem I 've had when I started this question on this forum in 2005 ... I was alone with some samples ... the only answer was : Buy it and make your own experience (Hans Juergen) - no matter what the costs could be .... :evil:

And that is the reason why I'm trying to give more transparancy in this muddy thicket of information ... :wink:

I'll give a review ASAP of Kloppmanns, Fillmores and BN Mules ... 8) ...
maybe they all equal - but I don't think so ... :wink:

Roger

Gottfried,

... it's so good to know you ... since we came together I knew that no question of mine would be kept un-answered ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your support in all questions, my friend ... I appreciate this !!! :wink: :wink:

Roger

BTW - I enjoy to visit you next week ... :lol: :lol:

Tudor,

Gedanken for the samples. I'm like 20thCenturyBoy ... I can't really tell much difference between the samples. The only one that stood out from the rest was the DiMarzio -- it seemed to have less depth to it.

I've been playing for 30 years, but only in the last 10 or so started really paying attention to my tone. I can tell when I don't like a pickup or an amp when I play it, but it's hard for me to do the discrimination required by those samples. Among my favorite guitar tones that I've heard are Van Halen's first albumr, Larry Carlton on FingerPrints (late 90's release), Blow by Blow from Jeff Beck and anything Wes Montgomery did. (I know those are not all in the same genre, but that's how tastes go, sometimes!). Individual solos that stand out are "I can't tell you why' and 'One of these nights', by Don Felder of the Eagles.

In my guitar collection, I find that I keep guitars that sound like I'm thinking they should sound when I play. That is, they're responsive and expressive. I'm thinking that might be what made the original PAFs so special - they translated the players every nuance into the sound. Since I'm not playing the samples, I can't tell what the guitarist is trying to do and thus I can't compare that to what's in the sample. So, I guess like Tudor, you have try it out and see if it works for you.

On the albums I've mentioned there's so much texture in the guitar playing to me it's a tactile experience to listen to it. BlowByBlow is almost always in one of my CD players because of this.

BTW, growing up I listened to KISS a lot. I still do occasionally, but I find the guitar tone to be 1 dimensional. THe chunky hard-driving riffs are ok from the live albums, but studiowise they sound sterile.

I've gone on too long.....sorry.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

You're increasing my troubles ... :-? :lol: :lol: ... and I understand very good what you're saying!!

I intend to give a similar comparison between Kloppmanns, WCR Fillmores and BN Mules ... and I really don't know how to do it in a usuable way ... my goal is that some people here will have actually a helping guide if they consider to buy them ...

Additionally I'm not a very good player (no understatement!!) and the samples should express the tonage quality of the pups ... but I don't know how to manage that ... I refuse to ask someone else to play - that is not to be considered ... 8)

So - what would be important - except the personal taste - to make it possible though ???
... 'cause I won't give up that project !! :wink: :wink: 8)

The screenplay:
- All in strumming chords clean
- every pup soloing clean
- all in chords / slightly distortion
- every pup soloing in slightly distortion
- all in heavy distortion - chords and soloing

What can I do more / additional ??? :-? 8)

Roger

Latest posts

Back