Pickup Rings - Which ones fit?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rings arrived from Axerus this morning - so the usual excellent service. I'll try & fit them later - they seem to be very slightly thinner than the originals. But the colour isn't a perfect match, & I thought you might want to see them next to the originals.

IMG_1567.jpg

It looks like they're going to clash with the scratchplate when they're fitted. So, do I remove the scratchplate?

:-?

stratman323 said:
It looks like they're going to clash with the scratchplate when they're fitted. So, do I remove the scratchplate?

:-?

Looking at that picture I think they'll actually match *better* than the notorious "salmon pink" rings we get as standard on our beloved Tokais! 8)

Do you think so? OK, I'll try it. Matching colours never was my strong point!

It's an academic point. The Axerus rings are a little bit wider, so the scratchplate no longer fits. They are a tiny bit slimmer, but hardly enough to notice, so whether changing them is worth the bother is a bit debatable. One of mine was cracked anyway, so I suppose it was worth it. The curve at the bottom isn't an exact match for the curve of the body though.

So I guess I'll have to get used to it without the scratchplate, or replace the original rings.

IMG_1586.jpg

My allparts ones don't fit the curve of the body either.

Next time I do a pickup change I might have a go at sand them down a bit.

To be honest I prefered your goldtop with the pickguard on.

NAAAAHHH...leave it off...it makes it look as though you're a shredder :D 8)

Thanx Oze, good to know I can always rely on you to make me feel better.

:roll:

:lol:

stratman323 said:
So what would you do? Put the old rings back on?

Yep, theat's what I'd do, and keep a lookout for a new ring that'll definetely fit to replace the cracked one.

But the 2 mm height difference is worth having, the clearance is tiny with the originals. Are all LPs like this?

stratman323 said:
But the 2 mm height difference is worth having, the clearance is tiny with the originals. Are all LPs like this?

They vary, but my reborn LS120 is like that, and a real '59 Les Paul is like that so it can't be too much of an issue, you can always sand the bottoms of the original rings.

Latest posts

Back