P-90 question: Has anybody measured the LP-OLD?2 pickup?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evamatze

Reaction score
Hi

has anybody ever measured the DC-resistance of the P-90s which are used in Tokai?s guitars like the LS85S (they are called LP-OLD?2 and as far as I know are Gotoh pickups)?

And does anybody know what type of magnet is being used in these pickups (Alnico 2,3,5 or Ceramic)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Moin! (good morning)
6,3k! I think (or let?s say I?m pretty sure) it is alnico 5. It?s definately not A2/3, and it does not sound like ceramic! Yes, it is Gotohs.
good on ya, "ACY"

Thanks ACY

is it true that the Gibson P-90 is Alnico 5, and its impedance is somewhere between 7.5k and 8.5k? Can anyone comment on that?

What would be the difference of Alnico 5 compared to Alnico 2? I know the old Gibson P-90s were Alnico 3, but I don?t know what a difference in sound these different magnets make.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Yes, the Gibson (the actual models) are arround 8k?s, and ist?s A5.

A2?s sounding way softer, and A3 is still softer than A2. The sound gets smoother, the bass and midrange warmer, and the treble more mellow when using magnets with less power.

A3 - A2 - A5 - Ceramic

cheers, "ACY"

Thanks for your help so far.

I think I will go with two Alnico 2 custom wound pickups with 7.5k (neck) and 8.5k (bridge) from www.leosounds.com and put them into my Tokai LS85S. I could get a set of two pickups for 169 Euros. That's cheaper than real Gibsons (119 Euros each) and I can get a hum free middle position.

Maybe I will also add an Alu tailpiece, but I'm not sure yet if that's really necessary.

Thanks again

evamatze said:
Maybe I will also add an Alu tailpiece, but I'm not sure yet if that's really necessary.

Hi Matze, no, it's not necessary, but it sounds better. Yesterday i fitted the Faber Kit, tailpiece and ABR to my LS85S. Very good idea to do that.

Next week i'll change the pickups. Have a look and an ear to this one
http://www.sdpickups.com/zephyr.shtml

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a bit, but does anyone know what are the values of the stock MKII PAF's and is there a lot of tolerance between units. I'm thinking about getting a set of milder pups and woul appreciate the info. Thanks and sorry.

And yes, I also recommend the alu tailpiece and the faber-kit. Small things that add up and are worth the effort. I would also like to know what you think about Leosounds.

How many pairs do you wonna get measured?

I think I got about 4 or 5 pairs here somewhere in a box!

cya, "ACY"

Has anyone compared P100s to P90s? I have P100s on my 98 Gibson LP Special, and they seem to be almost as loud as humbuckers - are they much higher output than ordinary P90s?

Mike

ACY said:
How many pairs do you wonna get measured?

I think I got about 4 or 5 pairs here somewhere in a box!

cya, "ACY"

One pair is plenty enough, thank you very much. But please don't turn your house upside down to find them unless you are REALLY interested about the readings yourself. I just thought it's somekind of general knowledge here in the forum, that I have somehow missed. But thank you from someone who hasn't invested in a meter... :oops:
It would really help me to decide what I need to do with my Love Rock that just loves to rock a bit too much. :roll:

Feel free and use the SEARCH button ... :wink:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4630&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have measured the ones on my ls-145s, I like them pretty much and other than changing to 50's wiring scheme which took me about 2 minutes, my guitar is all stock... the pickups are between 7k-8k I'm not sure if any of them reaches 8k, I measrue them a few months ago, I'm not at home right now even though I have the guitar with me but no multimeter, I'm working out and staying at a rental room.

I'll measure them this weekend, I do know they're in the mid 7k category and the neck is higher than the bridge, which contrary to most people I prefer... very typical vintage measurements, and they sound really good too.

Hi

if ACY and bruno have measured correctly, then the LS145S would have the more vintage correct pickups, because the original Gibsons P90s were somewhere between 7 and 8K.

so, my question is: Is it possible to buy those Gotoh LP-Old MK1x2 pickups somewhere separately or are they only sold in combination with those premium Tokai guitars? I might upgrade the pickups on my LS85S if I could get my hands on those, and I might also buy an alu tailpiece someday. The rest should be just fine. 50's wiring could be done when changing pickups ;-)

here we go again: GAS! ;-)

thanks

Matthias

Latest posts

Back