modern Love Rocks guitars: lower quality than older models?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are talking now industrial points in making a guitar. However getting the finest quality material for a wooden instrument is today much more difficult, much mucn more expensive, even impossible or at least illegal. Well, this may not apply to low end and cheap guitars but it might explain why you have to pay very big money for same quality guitar than in old days. How much is the cheapest Tokai with Hondurasian mahogany and Brazilian fretboard for example?

Machinery tolerances are not everything in this hobby :)

Diamond said:
schmintan - don't believe the BS you read on the internet, it's impossible to build better quality guitars than what Tokai currently build.

Were the old ones good...yes, of course they were, are the new ones good, yes, they're unbelievably good.

You should be splurging twice the amount, be happy you're paying half of the real value.

I agree with the first line of the above quote up to the first comma.

Diamond is a little OTT sometimes!! The old ones are great, new ones are great too. Are they worth double the asking price?, probably not. Are there better guitars out there? Probably

JohnA said:
Diamond is a little OTT sometimes!! The old ones are great, new ones are great too. Are they worth double the asking price?, probably not. Are there better guitars out there? Probably

Some of the old ones area great, some of them are not that great, the quality is not that good when measured as quality is measured today. New ones are mostly good and some of them are excellent. They are not worth double the asking price since you can find these guitars hanging in shops : - )

Matti

So tell me...

I said, the best guitars money can buy.
What other guitar can you buy for the same money that is a better guitar?

Diamond said:
...I said, the best guitars money can buy.
What other guitar can you buy for the same money that is a better guitar?

Those two statements are not connected at all:

The best guitar money can buy could be a vintage burst or a Momose MLS-1.

The best guitar for the price of an LS-160 is most likely an LS-160!

I think you meant the best guitars in their price ranges?

AlanN said:
Diamond said:
the truth is they're the best guitar money can buy...it's that simple.

Oh dear.

x5ow7n.gif

I won't waste my time here anymore...you guys can have your forum with no dealers and no distributors, which is the way you seem to want it.

This whole discussion can encompass alot of old /new comparative products.... guitars, cars, watches, houses, etc.....

Always going to be two schools of thought but at the end of the day, there is going to be as much crap / better old stuff as there is new stuff.

Diamond said:
I won't waste my time here anymore...you guys can have your forum with no dealers and no distributors, which is the way you seem to want it.

Oh don't go away in a snit..... we've all fallen victim to a little ribbing now and then.

Diamond said:
AlanN said:
Diamond said:
the truth is they're the best guitar money can buy...it's that simple.

Oh dear.

I'm sure it was a joke, don't let it get to you (or stop you bigging up Tokais)! :) So what if you hype Tokais all day long, it's your job, we all know it and at times people will feel the need to counterbalance some of your praising of Tokai with some other opinions. I have done this myself because I worry about expectations that get inflated on the internet and then are not met in reality, and I believe this will do more damage to a brand in the long run than just going along in a positive but balanced manner.

Too cerebral? What can I do, I can't stop thinking about stuff, it really is a curse.

Haven't played 370 ..yet.. but going by the quality of LS150 I doubt there is a better made "LP" guitar than the LS370. Different - yes - but not simply better. Craftsmanship is second to none.

Absolutely just a joke Diamond - I was just making a silly point! "The best guitars that money can buy" doesn't mean the same as "...for their price range"; it suggests that dropping ?20,000 on an original '59 burst is useless as it won't be as good as an LS-370 or similar. Just looked funny to me :)

Oh Diamond, chill man!

I can think of one example where older is better - the rosewood on 80s Tokais. Even the cheapest Tokai Strats from the 1980s have rosewood boards of a quality & beauty I havent seen on any other guitars, & that includes older Fenders & newer Tokais. You just don't seem to able to get it any more.

Stratman,

Agree about the rosewood. My 2 goldies and CAR breezy have great boards. As has my 80s Jazz.

Great Kimberley Rew quote by the way! Just read an article about him in Guitar magazine. How cool to write Walking On Sunshine and still be earning a fair wack from it 25 years later.

imosdad said:
Great Kimberley Rew quote by the way! Just read an article about him in Guitar magazine. How cool to write Walking On Sunshine and still be earning a fair wack from it 25 years later.

Yeah the quote is lifted from the article. It prompted me to dig out my Katrina & The Waves vinyl album - I had forgotten what a great sound he got from an SG. IMHO, Sunshine isn't even his best song, he wrote some good stuff.

Back