Looking for some advice...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabpal

Reaction score
I've just bought an LC80 as discussed in a previous thread. I've noticed that the bridge might not be aligned correctly ie the strings a sitting over to left side of the fretboard, i've checked the nut and everythings fine with that. While it's not a huge problem, i would like to ask if there's anything that can be done to straighten it out without butchering the guitar, thanks in advance.

DSC00887.jpg

Rabpal,

Is both the bridge and tailpiece misaligned or are the strings just not locating centrally in the bridge saddles? We might have a better idea how to help you if you can post a picture showing the problem.

edit - whoops I see while typing this you've posted a picture!

edit - as it's a LH it looks like the bridge is upside down. Try turning it around the saddle screws should be at the top of the guitar. It could also be that someones turned the saddles around.

Dave

Could be that the tailpiece was angled away from the pickup on the bass side to help with intonation as done with, say wraparound tailpiece:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/uploads/articles/2643/lespauljr-01.jpg

Thanks guys, i'm pretty sure the bridge is installed the right way and the tailpiece doesn't seem to be sitting any different to any other les paul type guitar i've seen. Is there any after market bridge available that could compensate for the misalignment? If not, so be it.

rabpal said:
Thanks guys, i'm pretty sure the bridge is installed the right way and the tailpiece doesn't seem to be sitting any different to any other les paul type guitar i've seen. Is there any after market bridge available that could compensate for the misalignment? If not, so be it.

Is it causing that much of a problem or is it a cosmetic issue for you? If so and it plays fine, I wouldn't mess with it.

I have had this issue with a few tokais, all strats though. I had to have the bridge relocated. The routes were slightly out and once the bridge was reset the route could be seen slightly on one side. Not sure why a cnc cutter could make a mistake.

Take it to a luthier if it's effecting your ability to play it, i'm dont know if you can move the bridge screws on an LS without leaving visable damage.

It's purely cosmetic, my fingers haven't slipped off the edge of the fretboard yet! Adding to DaveWWs' point, Tokai don't seem to reverse the bridge saddles on a majority of lefty Tokais', they seem to be left as standard(as if it was installed on a right hander). Should i change them around? Does it really matter?

The tailpiece is probably not relevant to this problem, but you can fix the string alignment pretty easily by buying some new saddles without notches and having them fitted then notched in the right place to fix the alignment.

The alignment doesn't look too bad - strings go over the pickup screws nicely, so it's just the low E being to far from the edge of the fret board? High E looks pretty right (in the photo but could be different up close). Of course if you move the low E then the rest of the strings have to slightly move as well so the distances are all equal.

You could notch the new saddles yourself by doing it Gibson style - fit the new ones, line up the strings where you want them and then hit the strings down on the saddles with a mallet to make some notches! It does ruin that set of strings, and I wouldn't advise it! The job should be done with the correct files for your preferred string sizes. It can be fixed without major surgery. Not sure where you get the saddles though, as I assume they have metric adjustment screws and the easily available Gibson saddles for $20 probably wont fit.

Replacing the saddles is a very appealing option, the only thing is getting a pro to notch them for me. Luthiers are few and far between where i live and i don't have the skill, tools or patience to do it myself, as time goes on the guitar is becoming more and more valuable to me and just don't want to mess it up.

Just as aside, and to save me starting another thread, how can i tell if my guitar is nitro finished or poly finished. Does nitro fade or wear away easier?
I've noticed some wear on places that are open to contact when playing sitting down, you know, on the bottom side where the guitar would sit on your leg and on the topside where your arm would rest.

If you test with acetone in the pick up cavity you should see if the nitro is dissolved. There are quite a few threads on this if you search. The nitro coated Tokais usually seem to be poly with a thin top coat of nitro.

Looking at the Tokai web-site I'm pretty sure that an LC80 will be poly as it doesn't say laquer in the spec's.

Dave

Where do you live in the UK? We're all over the place, so between us all I bet we can suggest a good luthier in your area...

You're right Dave, it is poly. Alan i live in Scotland(south west).

More on the west coast side mate, near Ayr, thanks! Maybe if anyone comes up with anymore contacts they could use the pm system. Privacy and all that. Thanks Max The Dog, much appreciated.

Back