Looking for ES - are some years better than others?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmca

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is the first time I've posted to this very informative forum. Apologies in advance if my question is already answered on it, but I haven't been able to find any comment on this aspect so far.

So, I'm thinking about an ES, having been turned on to them by the wonderful Matt Schofield (here's Matt and Aynsley Lister playing for all us students at the IGF in Bath, UK this year: youtube.com/results?search_query=aynsley+lister+matt+schofield&search=Search ....Actually, it's Aynsley playing Matt's Tokai - he just got up for the encore and had had a few beers by that point, but boy does it sound good even so)

I want to make an informed decision when I buy so if anyone has time to offer the benefit of their experience I'll be grateful. This is where I'm coming from:

- I've never played a Tokai, so I know them by reputation only
- Every MIJ guitar I've played has been impressive in terms of build quality
- I can't afford a Gibbo 335, and I haven't got time anyway to sift through dozens until I find a good one
- Although I have never come across a less than well-made MIJ guitar, all things being equal I expect some Tokais ES's are better than others
- Haven't got a lot of guitars, but those I have are quite decent ones and I want my 335-type to feel like it belongs with them (eg. I've got a tatty old Gib 72 LP Deluxe - beautiful to play and no worries about keeping it pristine; a Gib VOS 61 RI SG Custom - took a bit of getting used to for me and I had to make some changes with it before I felt it was good to play; and one of the first Fender custom shop (CA) Robben Fords - a real beauty to look at and play, but I daren't take it out to gig)

Excuse me rambling on here! Anyway, my question is: are there some years or periods of ES manufacture which are better than others, that I should look out for? Any other tips or things I should be aware of? It's playability and sound I'm looking for, rather than something to hang on the wall. And I don't mind a worn-in instrument with a bit of wear, if it plays well and is solid.

Thanks again for a great forum...I'm looking forward to becoming one of the enlightened Tokai disciples. Rich

I'll chime in......

I have a 1981 ES100J (J stands for Jazz as opposed to the R model - meaning Rock. Difference is the p'ups). As I understand, this was the first year they made the ES models (correct me if I'm wrong boys).

It's probably the best 335 I've ever played in terms of fit, feel, finish and most of all tone - I'll put that statement against any Gibson 335 I've played. I'll never sell this one.

But I must say, I did purchase a 2005 ES120 for a musician friend of mine (purchased from forum member buckwild - thanks Joe) and he has not put it down ONCE since he's gotten it - and he has about 40 vintage Gibsons, Fenders, etc. Says it's his favorite guitar - for the same reasons I've listed about mine.

Old or new, I don't think you can go wrong - just make sure it's Japanese made.

I own one 2 ES130s (cherry and natural). Currently I am chasing an ES155.

I also own a Gibbo Alvin Lee custom shop (you know, the look :p ). The Tokai's are well above, in both sound and playability.

Build quality is not up for questions anyway. Just a few days ago I touched one of the Gibbo Lucilles, and (I am not joking) there was a gap of almost one mm between the fretboard and the neck on the side.

Most Tokai's are above Gibbos IMHO. And the price is about half. If you have the opportunity try to get one. Hisashi for example currently still has some.

Thanks guys. So I needn't be bothered about build quality then...and a 2007 ES is as good as any other year? That's reassuring...certainly makes a difference from some brands.

Do you happen to know if the pickups on the ES range are wired with four conductors? I'd like to add a push-pull to switch phase.

Had a look at the Hisashi site - thanks for the tip. Didn't see a 155 there though - not many around I suppose. I wonder if they are that much better than the 130.

OK - got a few bills to pay, then I'm going shopping!

Thanks again for the comments.

Back