1981 catalogue LS-50 "Polyester" finish versus "Polyurethane" finish used other years

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freebird

Reaction score
I've been looking at the available translation of 1981 Tokai catalogue (since I don't read Japanese) compared with the translation of Tokai catalogues from earlier and later years, specifically the polyester finish applied to the LS-50 model only in 1981. All the other catalogues indicate a polyurethane finish. I've never touched an LS-50 so I have no personal hands-on knowledge of the finish on these guitars. I have owned quite a few Grecos from the the 1980s with "poly" finishes ( always assuming it was polyurethane, sometimes described as "light poly") so I have idea what "poly" feels like on a Greco, with some of the finishes appearing thinner than others. I know that polyester and polyurethane can be applied thin to thick. I've seen guitars with chips out of the finish that expose just how thin or thick the "poly" is applied. Here's my questions: 1) for those who have experience with LS-50 from 1981 as well as older (e.g. 1978, 1979, 1980) or somewhat newer LS-50s (e.g. 1982), can you tell a difference in finishes? 2) if there is a difference, can you please describe it? 3) in general, are these finishes applied thin or thick? 4) if you've owned both, does a 1981 LS-50 "polyester" finish feel the same, and should it not really matter in terms of it's playability or value? 5) or, lastly, is the 1981 catalogue description (or the translation) simply not accurate?

The problem is that this usually becomes evident only when there's a major damage. So I'd be curious what the responses are, from people with noteworthy dings on their 1980/81 LS50s and pretty please with pics! :) However, I have a working theory, based on a quick survey of LS50s still in the cache on Reverb.com, alas since the Tokais tend to have been treated nice, the sample size is way too small.

But first things first:

know that polyester and polyurethane can be applied thin to thick.

For all I've ever heard, read and seen - no. Here's a rundown I wrote for a different post/article (basically a rant about misnomers):

Polywhatnow?

Shortening polyester and polyurethane to just "poly" has done a lot of confusion and harmed the reputation of both:

Polyester (PE) is the "bad" stuff that became so popular for all kinds of applications in the 70s that some call it the "polyester decade". It was happily worn as shirts and applied to cheap guitars and not much better guitars sold for a lot more, because it was simple to spray on in often a single layer. It forms a thick, hard armor layer (great for light and soft woods!) and is extremely durable and eternally shiny. It is what people mean by "that thick plastic coat not letting mah woodz breathe", Fender started using it in the 70s and does to this day on the lower tier products. If I understood this stuff right, both PE and PUR are technically urethanes, the chemical difference to polyurethane is that polyester consists of "more solids" and different polyols (I don't know jack $%/! about the chemistry!).

Polyurethane (PUR) on the other hand has "best of both worlds" properties, it can be applied as thin as nitro yet it's more durable and chemically stable - it's the finish guitar makers were dreaming of when they started looking for a better, more resistant finish to replace the work-intensive nitro lacquer and the late 50s thermoplastic acrylic lacquer ("Lucite") stuff. I'm not going to open the "breathing" can of worms, let's just say "them polys are not the same"!

By the way, polyurethane is - just like NC lacquer - not a single recipe, there are plenty of ways both could be composed, and some (I think oil-based) polyurethane clear coats are almost as much subject to yellowing as nitro.

To demonstrate the above, let's have a look at typical damages. This is an extreme but typical example of polyester (Fender Baja Tele, not mine :)):

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 22.38.28.jpg

Now here's a Tokai polyurethane finish (Breezysound, mine):

IMG_20231206_195031.jpg

Zoomed in (so you can behold the actual chipped layer):

IMG_20231206_195017.jpg

Another characteristic of thin polyurethane is that it eventually sinks into the wood similar to NC lacquer, polyester doesn't do that:

27375-0ff085d44830ee3cd53b9e90bfdd5b98.jpg

Finally, here's a tiny chip in nitrocellulose finish (Strat, mine):

IMG_20231206_194030.jpg

A bit closer:

IMG_20231206_194646.jpg

OK, now that we know what to expect, let's get back to the LS50. I could only find one guitar that actually looks like polyester - this is a 1980 LS50BB, an Inkie:

LS50_81_PE.jpg

The pic isn't great, so I wouldn't wager any money on it but it looks like there is a lot of depth in the dings, and a whole lot of material chipped off the rounded corner to expose the wood. Here's the headstock:

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 20.51.32.jpg

That still looks thick, but not that thick. Of the other LS50s, none had really unambiguously PE looking damages, and those that had actual damages looked like polyurethane so I didn't copy any pictures, we know how that looks. :). So a "working theory" could be that polyester was used, but either 1) not by Tokai (only Inkies, so Fujig...that Nagano supplier) and/or 2) only with black or at least only specific colors. What I'm pretty sure of is that not all (if any) 1980/81 LS50s had a polyester finish.

Looking forward to what (literally, no pun intended but quite welcome!) hard evidence this thread will bring up! :)

Last edited:
My thinking and my guess is basically one of the theories Homer offered. That the reason it only shows up in the 1981 catalog is that it is a reference to inkies made under subcontract in another factory.

To test that theory someone might check to see what low end Fujigen LPs are coated with.

It would be a bit odd for Tokai to only coat one model in one year with a different finish.

Last edited:
That is wild.

Here are the ones I’ve logged so far.

Note the count apparently resets between 01 and 11. Unless they are all mixed up and not sequential.

as far as any LS inkies are concerned there is some reference material in this thread
https://www.tokaiforum.com/threads/is-this-a-real-1981-ls60.23046/#post-192537
Inkie serial #s to date that I have documented are 000****, 010**** and 110**** serials.

Do those represent three different years? Don't know but ...........

my post #9 in the linked thread is the only example I have ever seen with an original store warranty card that was also dated for a period of 1 year; from the date of purchase to the date of 1 year warranty end.
56 - 3 - 27 = warranty start (56 = Showa era for 1981)
57 - 3 - 26 = last day of warranty (57 = Showa era for 1982)
Considering the warranty start date was listed as 3/March 27, 56/1981 there is a good possibility this was a 1980 production. Oval label attached on head stock back; no 50 at fret board end.
Also could possibly be an early 1981.
Who knows?

Carry on .............

View attachment 35440

View attachment 35441
please explain how the “reference material” in that thread pertains to the original question about polyester versus polyurethane in the year 1981. Feel free to highlight as I am a slow learner.

If I can attempt to clear it up since I posted some of that as well. I was suggesting the polyester LS50 spec could relate to “inkies” as they seem to be clustered around 1980/81.

Inked And Inky/Inkie Gallery

I believe guitar hiro was questioning the assumption that the 01 and 11 serial numbers refer to 1980 and 1981 and gave an example that does not conform to the prevailing date theory since there is no 1 in the second position. I hope I got that right. Don't want to speak for you.

Typically catalogs are printed towards the end of the year for the following year. But the specs can change before the year end and even mid year as in 1983.

Hope that’s helpful and that I didn’t muddy the water.

Thank you that clarifying information Sigmania. So, in summary, it seems reasonable to assume that the use of polyester on the inkies was simply due to their location of manufacture. Due to high consumer demand, Tokai needed to increase production beyond the production capacity capabilities of the Tokai factory and farmed out the inkie production to other guitar factories that “choose” to use polyester. Perhaps (here’s a stretch) maybe using polyester at the other factories wasn’t even part of the plan, but it happened. Regardless, Tokai decided to modify the catalogue to reflect the use of polyester on (at least some of) the total LS-50s produced during that time period. Others’ thoughts on this? Where are the old Tokai employees for interviews when we need them to answer such important questions? LOL.

The black inkie pictured above is not necessarily a Nagano inkie either, it has the Tokai control cavity (and it's not the first one I've seen), so the second digit may have a different significance than we thought. Or it it does point to Nagano, but the parts were not necessarily produced there but hauled the 155 miles up north to Matsumoto... whatever.

Tokai decided to modify the catalogue to reflect the use of polyester on (at least some of) the total LS-50s produced during that time period.

So far it looks like that was not a glitch, yes. But we need more data IOW more chipped 1981 LS50s. :)

Thank you that clarifying information Sigmania. So, in summary, it seems reasonable to assume that the use of polyester on the inkies was simply due to their location of manufacture. Due to high consumer demand, Tokai needed to increase production beyond the production capacity capabilities of the Tokai factory and farmed out the inkie production to other guitar factories that “choose” to use polyester. Perhaps (here’s a stretch) maybe using polyester at the other factories wasn’t even part of the plan, but it happened. Regardless, Tokai decided to modify the catalogue to reflect the use of polyester on (at least some of) the total LS-50s produced during that time period. Others’ thoughts on this? Where are the old Tokai employees for interviews when we need them to answer such important questions? LOL.
Remember, there are a lot of assumptions in this theory. And it is nothing more than a theory.

“Remember, there are a lot of assumptions in this theory. And it is nothing more than a theory.” Correct. Sure wish we had a “person on the scene” to provide an ironclad answer/explanation of the polyester/polyurethane question.

No doubt. I have been looking for such a person for years.

It is very hard to locate former (or current) employees who are willing to talk about the history of the company.

Project Team of “Guitar Freaks”

Norihiro Yoshida's Blog, Tokai Employee 1979-1984

There were no doubt non disclosure agreements entered into at the very least around Fender production.

Tokai has historically been very closed lipped and this is no doubt related to being an OEM manufacturer. Those relationships are usually confidential.

IMG_3484.jpg
Polyester or polyurethane? Guesses? Serial number is 1014626. Someone defaced the back of the headstock - the second 1 looks like a 4 but is a 1. Based on what we know, this guitar was made at the Tokai factory in 1981 and therefore is most likely (100% likely?) polyurethane. The small chips that can be seen on this lousy picture appear to be a relatively thin coat of polyurethane.

Last edited:
I just noticed the 1981 Arched Top catalog lists LC60 & LC60M as polyester finishes as well as the LS50.

I have to wonder if this is in some way related to inkie production/outsourcing.

IMG_5089.jpeg

Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 7.01.20 PM.png

Last edited:
Considering the OP I can say that I have owned and played non inkies tokais and inkies too, and in a range of lower grade to higher grade.
It has been my experience that all examples in my hands, no matter the finish chemistry, the finishes have all been quite thin.

I can't say that for the Greco examples I have owned and played from that same era.

I'll take an old skool tokais finish over any Greco finish any day of the week no matter the chemistry of any tokais finish

Back