How to date your Burny

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacco

Reaction score
Over the past few months I have studied hundreds of pics in order to get an idea on how to date our beloved Burny LP. I don?t have a 100% waterproof case yet but I wanted to share this info with you now in the hope we can get a constructive discussion going on. And hopefully get some more pics out..

We can date our MIJ Greco?s and Orville/ObG?s because they all have a serial number on the back of the headstock. The interesting part of these brands is that they used the same pots from 1981 to around 1992. So I had a look at those pots. To my surprise I found that the first digit of the bottom row of the pot corresponds with the year the guitar was made in, in 9 out of 10 times. Some pots have a digit of the previous year so I?m guessing the guitar was made early in the next year with pots of the previous year. I will demonstrate this with pics borrowed from japanstrat?s great piece on Orville/ObG?s.

1988 ObG 1
1988ObG2.jpg

1988 ObG 2
1988ObG1.jpg

1989 K Orville 1
1989KOrville3.jpg

1989 K Orville 2
1989KOrville2.jpg

So there?s 2 types of pots which each can have 2 formats:
Top row denotes the type of pot: M500kΩA = volume pot or M500kΩB = tone pot
Bottom row with 2 formats: format 1: digit digit K (for instance ?87 K? as seen above) or format 2: digit letter K (for instance ?8D K? as seen above).
There are pots that have ?89 K? for instance. Don?t be fooled by the second digit in thinking this particular one was built in 1989. I have seen many variations with the second digit making no sense at all, including my Burny RLC65 pot which says ?43 K? (see below).

So the first digit of the bottom row of the pot is the year of production of the pot. Now guess what? Burny?s from 1981 to 1992 use the same pots! Here are pics of some Burny?s, including my RLC65 with pots of 1983 AND 1984 in the same guitar.

Burny RLC60
controlvacity.jpg

Burny RLC65 1
pot1.jpg

Burny RLC65 2
BurnyRLC65pot43.jpg

Now we are going to have a look at features as routing/wire drilling.
Using the pot date I can generally say that all Burny LPs with diagonal wire drilling (wire comes out on the left hand corner of the neck pup cavity) are built from 1982 to around 1985. Fujigen uses drilling were the wire comes out of the right hand side of the neck pup cavity and early Terada has center wire drilling.

Left/diagonal wire drilling on Chris' beautifull early 80s RLG (pot code Chris??)
RLG901.jpg

Fujigen right wire drilling on this very nice 1993 RLG70
1993RLG1.png

Terada center wire drilling on a 1980 FLG
1980FLG.jpg

These guitars also feature a hole in the control cavity that?s more in between the pots and is often rectangular. This hole is placed different from Fujigen which is in the right hand corner or Terada which is in the left hand corner.

Burny RLC65 centered hole in control cavity
controlcav.jpg

Burny RLC60 rectangular shape
pot2.jpg

1993 RLG70 Fujigen's hole on right hand side
RLG19931.jpg

1980 Terada FLG with hole on left hand side (courtesy of japanstrat)
1980FLG90.jpg

And then there?s the pointer washer on Burny LPCs from 1982-1985. These are longer and the point has a 45 degree angle in stead of the shorter 90 degree angle of the later LPCs.

long 45 degree pointer washer
knob.jpg

later short 90 degree angle pointer washer
frontbody.jpg

And now the sensitive question of the split diamond vs the lightning bolt.
All lightning bolt LPCs feature right wire drilling and 90 degree angle pointer washers so are from 1986 or later. The earliest lightning bolt LPC I have seen has a pot date which starts with an 8. I also have pictures of a split diamond with pot date 8. My conclusion for now can only be that the lightning bolt LPC started to be produced on it?s earliest in 1988.

1988 lightning bolt 1 (the owner confirmed that the lightning bolt has been taped to look like a split diamond)
frontheadstock2.jpg

1988 lightning bolt 2
controlcav-1.jpg

1988 split diamond from chingo for sale right now:
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/october2010/burnylpcblack5536?z=2&c=4&n=1&m=-1&w=4&x=0&p=33

Regarding the lightning bolt LPCs with serial number. They all feature the control cavity shape that was first seen in 1988. So must be of a later date than the alledged mid 80s. Also I am very curious about pics of the pots and pickup height screws. As Nils Bro Muller pointed out before around 1988 these screws changed from a slotted type to a philips type.

control cavity shape up to 1988
controlcav.jpg

control cavity shape after 1988 1
controlvacity.jpg

control cavity shape after 1988 2
RLG19931.jpg

Hope this info will interest some of you guys, especially the ones with Burny?s that are willing to share their knowledge so we can improve my theory.
Also there?s some blank spots to fill in and one of those are the Matsumoku RLCs, so I?m hoping to get some good pics too!

I will close with this headscratcher, a Burny LPC with square tab routing a la Tokai but with right wire drilling:
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/june2010/burnylpcblack5285?z=2&c=4&n=1&m=-1&w=4&x=0&p=35

Thanks for reading.

Jacco

hi
great work :D :D :D :D now we have something to work with ...
when we are trying to date burny ,,,,
:D :D :D :D
all the best
otto
and i will send you pictures of my burnys soon :D :D :D

I have a RLC coming this week ( my first :p ), from what ive found out in my research is that its possably a 1984 to 86 with the split diamond inlay, so when it gets here i'll put your pot theory to the test.
I'will also post some pics for you.

JDB said:
I have a RLC coming this week ( my first :p ), from what ive found out in my research is that its possably a 1984 to 86 with the split diamond inlay, so when it gets here i'll put your pot theory to the test.
I'will also post some pics for you.

Wow, that would be great!

How about this LC-70RR with split diamond and 1989 pots??
In this pics above I show a split diamond RLC with 1988 pots, so those were pots of the previous year because with pots of the guitar pictured below the only conclusion can be that 1989 is really the year of introduction of the lightning bolt as the catalog indicates. :D

BurnyRR7019891.jpg

BurnyRR7019896.jpg

BurnyRR7019899.jpg

With special thanks to Tornado for pointing me in the right direction!

Udonitron said:
Why would someone want to date a guitar? People in public might look at you oddly but different strokes for different folks I suppose...

:lol: I guess you had a look t the pots?

jacco said:
below the only conclusion can be that 1989 is really the year of introduction of the split diamond as the catalog indicates. :D
Dont you mean the introduction of the lightning bolt diamond?

JDB said:
jacco said:
below the only conclusion can be that 1989 is really the year of introduction of the split diamond as the catalog indicates. :D
Dont you mean the introduction of the lightning bolt diamond?

Ah :oops: yes, that's what I meant.. just edited, thanks

jacco said:
Udonitron said:
Why would someone want to date a guitar? People in public might look at you oddly but different strokes for different folks I suppose...

I gave you the photos of the pots ages ago, remember? Do the photo links no longer work? Dave, on the other forum, did a lot of research and seems to have finally figured out the model of my Burny. It is a 1985 RLG Tradition...made for only one year and the description in the catalog only states it is made out of "select maple & mahogany" for the top and back of the guitar. I suspect old growth solid maple and no two pieces were the same. They placed the Tradition on the top of the list with no RLG 150 or 120 in sight that year. Kinda cool to know what it finally is!

Udonitron said:
jacco said:
Udonitron said:

I gave you the photos of the pots ages ago, remember? Do the photo links no longer work? Dave, on the other forum, did a lot of research and seems to have finally figured out the model of my Burny. It is a 1985 RLG Tradition...made for only one year and the description in the catalog only states it is made out of "select maple & mahogany" for the top and back of the guitar. I suspect old growth solid maple and no two pieces were the same. They placed the Tradition on the top of the list with no RLG 150 or 120 in sight that year. Kinda cool to know what it finally is!

Yep, thanks a lot for that!
The pic of the control cavity was a bit blurred so I couldn't make out what was written on the pots so you said you would check for me, remember?
A pic of the pots is an easy one to take, so please.. :wink:

Ahhhhhhh very well lol.
I will take another when I get home but I have rewired the guitar so I cannot recall if solder is covering anything however I am pretty good with using the existing solder unless I put new pots etc in which then I use silver flux solder. I would not mind putting in new CTS pots but I have to ream the holes. Oh, I suppose I can use Alpha pots and not have to worry about resizing the hole...hmmmm

How interesting, I also own a late 80's that a previous owner 'taped' to make the lightning bolt look like a split diamond.

Bob

BobK said:
How interesting, I also own a late 80's that a previous owner 'taped' to make the lightning bolt look like a split diamond.

Bob

So maybe you could post some pics of the pots too! :D

Next time I change the strings I will. I loathe re-stringing and they only come off when it is forced upon me!!

I bought the guitar a few years ago off Greg in Wales, he used to be a regular here. Posted under a word starting with ULI**** I think? He has a monster collection of jap guitars and often sells off a few on ebay.

The guitar is a late 80's. Will post better piccys when I get time.

Burny2.jpg

Bob

BobK said:
Next time I change the strings I will. I loathe re-stringing and they only come off when it is forced upon me!!

I bought the guitar a few years ago off Greg in Wales, he used to be a regular here. Posted under a word starting with ULI**** I think? He has a monster collection of jap guitars and often sells off a few on ebay.

The guitar is a late 80's. Will post better piccys when I get time.

Burny2.jpg

Bob

Hey Bob, pots, not pups.. no need to restring for a pic of the control cavity :D

3pupLPC said:
Jacco, were you looking for pup pix, or pot pix from me?

Actually both. I'm still working on when the different plants were making Burny's. But I'm happy with anything :D

Back