Help in ID of Gold top....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JandG

Reaction score
I have had no luck in the ID of this mystery Goldtop. It was purchased from Japan as a earlly 80's proto, but I think it is a 2000 or 2001 aged version. The fret markers are veryconvincing aged Celluiod, tight & sharp inlays with no round points, no visible filler. the list goes on & on & would love to know just for kicks.Here are some pictures

[/img][/url]

hi
nice gt
are the bridge screws screwed directly in to the guitar or do they screw in like the tailpiece
it looks like a mik one but i could be wrong.all the hardware could have been upgraded. trussrod cover has been replaced, pickups i think are dimarzios, bridge and tailpieces look to have been replaced
nothing wrong with made in korea but if it was sold as mij , then thats fraud
mike

Yep, I suspected fraud also, but I have other MIJ copies from variouse companies & this one is wierd. The Tailpiece is directly screwed into body just like my other MIJ guitars & my Gibson. Also, did MIK ever have the correct head stock as this one has.?, Headstock does not appear to be altered. Have you ever seen a Tokai with Celluiod fret markers,The truss rod cover is a big flag but the obviouse extra 2 screw holes are not even in the same spot as a MIK. The Pickups are Stamped DiMarzio USA in brass looking material, they do not have the cloth wiring Braided shielding as the rest of the guitar, but are very convincingly aged. I believe on purpose. There is no PCB in the guitar. The attention to detail on the fret ends & frets themselves shows MIJ. The story on this guitar which was purchased from Kantana guitars is that it was built buy a company employee for private collection, thus no logo. I took the chance because of the strange ness of the guita & the correct headstock. I see know way to fake a MIK head stock into a MIJ with out chooping off the headstock & scarfing a new head stock on, this was not done on this guitar. What does the SG stand for on the bridge & tailstop stand for...? The pot numbers are the small numbers I see in 1978 to earlly 80'sGreco, Burny & Tokai guitars, but not later then that. If MIK did do a proper open book head stock & did aged celluiod traps, I would be on Kantana like stink on sh.... but at this point can't justify doing that , it plays almost as good as my Gibson R8 & has great tone, 8.6 lbs . How does one test for poly or nitro...? with out putting something to eat the finish on it.......LOL

hi
it could be one special order. but it does look the part.dont know too much about mik only that the trossrod cover has 3 screws. and bridge is not screwed directly to the body. there are a lot of guys really knolagable that will give you expert opinions . but if the guitar looks and plays to your satisfaction i wouldnt get too upset, unless you paid big bucks for it
mike

hi again
cant see any thing to gain by tring to copy a tokai unless it was a real early model or a early gibbo, then the fraud you could understand why they would do it. so it probably has been a special order for someone
mike

Definately the best 640.00 to the door I have ever spent reguardless of orgin. The more I think about it, it probably is exactly as Kantana stated. Built by employee for his "own" private collection. MIK's also have maple necks & such, this one is mahagony , also Mahagony back & maple top. Also not a UK Tokai eaither I don't think. I have looked at there aged versions & they are not close to mine. No celluiod fret markers on there Tokai's. The dang guitar really is close to my 2000.00 + Gibson Histiric, even more so with the Celliod traps. But fit & finish is allmost a equal. Sad but true..........
Thanks,
J & G

Latest posts

Back