First timer needs help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJconvert

Reaction score
Hi Guys, recently found out about Vintage MIJ and I'm converted already! Yessir, I believed without buying and holding an MIJ Lawsuit guitar yet so I'm on the prowl. Found one advertised near my locality.

Its a 1983 Les Paul Standard (Black) with all original parts (according to seller).

I'd just like some tips on what to look for and what to ask:

I've already got a checklist and related questions
1) Check serial number
2) Check sticker for model number (which model number represents better quality?)
3) Check pickups (whats the best pickups for better quality LPs?)

Any more to add?

Would appreciate ur help fellas!!

Cheers.

I'm now trying to sell an Epiphone Black Beauty to get cash so I have a warchest to look for a LP custom/Black Beauty by either Burny or Greco.

I got the funds, now need to find the right guitar!!

Hi and welcome 8)
The one advertised near where you live...you never mentioned brand...if we know the brand of guitar that you're looking at we can better advise you whether it's a higher end model or not.
Some of the Greco/Tokai and Edwards guitars already come standard with Dimarzio/Duncan pups so swapping in new ones might be an unecessary expense.
Adding to that I'm more than happy with the standard pups that came in my LS120 and won't be swapping them in a hurry....never pulled them out to see whether or not they're dimarzio or Gotoh....
p1110147xl0.jpg

OK, I had a look at it today, in a great condition. A pity the guy had sold off his other Vintage Jap. Replicas :(.

Well, its a 1983 Greco, with Screamin pups. ANy good?

Is it worth 850 Aus dollars = approx 600-650 USD

As a fellow Aussie I'd say the price is not bad but it depends on what model it is.
On Australia's ebay some burnys and grecos are over $1000.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-JAPANESE-GRECO-EG700-BIRDS-EYE-MAPLE-TOP_W0QQitemZ120089312916QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-JAPANESE-1980s-BURNY-LAWSUIT-ERA-LP_W0QQitemZ120089313845QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Judging by the Grecos Screamin Pups, its not a high end model, I'm assuming Screamin pups are not as good as Dry Zs. ANyone out there with Screamin pups on their Greco? If so, do they sound better than the Gibson stuff produced these days?

Thanks for the links, given me some more stuff to chew on. :D

dry Z were only superreals, 1980/81, in 1982- the equiv mint coll is DRY1982..these were on EG59-100 and higher, next down were double trick in the EG59-85, the screamin and hot lick in the EG59-70, 60 and 50 respectively

Hello MIJ convert, i have an RR 65 model greco, not particulary high end {2 piece top and 2 piece back }and it plays and sounds awesome. Mine is an exception to the rule and comes standard with the dry 1982 pickups.{its a 1983 model}
I bought mine from japan and it cost me $770.00 aus dollars shipped.
Since i've bought this guitar i have seen similar ones go for around the same price. 1982and 1983 are very good years for mint collection guitars they are very well built, there are heaps for sale in japan, mabye worth looking around. Hope this helps :D

MIJconvert said:
Judging by the Grecos Screamin Pups, its not a high end model, I'm assuming Screamin pups are not as good as Dry Zs. ANyone out there with Screamin pups on their Greco? If so, do they sound better than the Gibson stuff produced these days?

Thanks for the links, given me some more stuff to chew on. :D

I've got several stock Greco Mint Collection models with the Screamin pickups. They are not bad at all, in one of the Greco's they sound so good I won't bother changing them. I have owned an RR-65 that had the Dry 1982 pickups as well. Those ARE better, more complex sounding with a nice notched mid tone. But I sold the guitar and it was in such superb shape that I thought those pickups should remain with the guitar.

Latest posts

Back