Bacchus BST 64

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With gold prices up 30% over the last few months it might be a better investment :lol:

Nah - Personally I don't think gold suits a strat.

Dave

I love it. BUT, it's not a guitar I would probably play. It would just sit there, I would just be too scared to play it. Alas, I would rather have a beat up POS actually. But I do like it.

DaveWW said:
Personally I don't think gold suits a strat.

Dave

I do :p

121_2111.jpg

That neck isn't very nice, if you like I'll give you ?50 for it and you can put it towards a new one!!

I just measured the resistance on both my Bacchi pictured above, one set, on the sunburst one are pretty hot, similar to Mikes, the other (which only has 2 Yutas, measure 6.33 middle and bridge 6.35.

Both sound great though!! and both look exactly the sam, top and bottom.

Does anyone know if one might be Bacchus Vintage and one Yuta? If so which would be which?

My Bacchus BST-62 came with the newer/hotter Texas Special sounding pickups. I just dont like hot pickups, so I put in a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II "Surf" pickups.

This guitar is now my favorite Strat. It smokes any other Strat I have owned or played and I have had a few. Among them a original 1964 Fender and a Eric Johnson Strat I sold after I got the Bacchus! I just didn?t touch the EJ after I got the Bacchus going.

Maybe someone can spell out the main difference between the BST-64 and the BST-62. I know the ?62 has a slab board and probably always the hotter type YUTAS. What else is different?

IMG_5610.jpg

JohnA said:
I just measured the resistance on both my Bacchi pictured above, one set, on the sunburst one are pretty hot, similar to Mikes, the other (which only has 2 Yutas, measure 6.33 middle and bridge 6.35.

Both sound great though!! and both look exactly the sam, top and bottom.

Does anyone know if one might be Bacchus Vintage and one Yuta? If so which would be which?

I supplied quite a bit of detail to the thread, a puzzle if you will so, maybe you could consider some of what I offered when you question the two Bacchus that you have questions about.
What details are you really offering here, just to find out what you want to know? .......................

We're getting conflicting views here, MIJ is quite certain that Mikes pickups are the Older ones, I'm quite certain I have Yutas in my white relic '57 (see last page) but Mikes are quite a bit hotter than mine??

In my '54 Vintage series the pickups are nearly as hot as Mikes, but not quite.

as I stated, "I supplied quite a bit of detail to the thread, a puzzle if you will so, maybe you could consider some of what I offered when you question the two Bacchus that you have questions about."

............ detailed photos, explanations, serial numbers, etc. ............... connect the dots ................

throstur said:
My Bacchus BST-62 came with the newer/hotter Texas Special sounding pickups. I just dont like hot pickups, so I put in a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II "Surf" pickups.

This guitar is now my favorite Strat. It smokes any other Strat I have owned or played and I have had a few. Among them a original 1964 Fender and a Eric Johnson Strat I sold after I got the Bacchus! I just didn?t touch the EJ after I got the Bacchus going.

Maybe someone can spell out the main difference between the BST-64 and the BST-62. I know the ?62 has a slab board and probably always the hotter type YUTAS. What else is different?

Main differences are as you stated but IMO the different pups & board make a very noticable tonal difference.

I owned three EJs; EJ00095 (black), EJ00179 (black), & EJ00761 (blonde).
Maple (board) sucks :lol: and of course they are all three loooooooong gone.
I did however keep two of the awesome EJ cases & the pup assembly & steel block trem from EJ00095 :D

>This guitar is now my favorite Strat. It smokes any other Strat I have owned or played and I have had a few<
The current owner (and TF member) of this BST-62 in LPBM pictured below, had similar praise for his Bacchus.
This one has a 128*** serial, which yours should be in that ballpark ........
BST-62LPB7.jpg

The poles are beveled = Yuta-VS-2.
The ones you removed should be as these.
BST-62LPB9-1.jpg

Again, thicker pup lead wire than the earlier Alnico Special & cut close = no extra length.
One black wire to the trem, one black wire grounded to body, and the jack connection concealed in a larger black insulator.
This is all Yuta set-up :wink:
BST62LPB10-1.jpg

There folks, more clues, the same ones, connect the dots................

MIJvintage said:
I supplied quite a bit of detail to the thread, a puzzle if you will so, maybe you could consider some of what I offered when you question the two Bacchus that you have questions about.
What details are you really offering here, just to find out what you want to know? .......................

All I am saying is I am a bit confused :-? Of the two Bacchus guitars I have, you said they both look like the older pickups, but the resistance shows the S/B one has a lot hotter pickups than the white one, which implies they are different. Mikes are even hotter still.

I was certain that the white guitar had the newer Yuta's, but the info here suggests that these should be hotter than the old ones, the readings from both mine and Mikes suggest the opposite.

I'll take a look at the sunburst guitar, which I'm sure has never been touched, maybe that'll help me understand a bit better.

Cheers :D

MIJvintage said:
The current owner (and TF member) of this BST-62 in LPBM pictured below, had similar praise for his Bacchus.
This one has a 128*** serial, which yours should be in that ballpark ........

BST-62LPB7.jpg

The poles are beveled = Yuta-VS-2.
The ones you removed should be as these.
BST-62LPB9-1.jpg

Again, thicker pup lead wire than the earlier Alnico Special & cut close = no extra length.
One black wire to the trem, one black wire grounded to body, and the jack connection concealed in a larger black insulator.
This is all Yuta set-up :wink:
BST62LPB10-1.jpg

Yes MIJ this one is exactly like mine, electrics, pickups and everything else, except mine is white of course. One thing worth mentioning is that mine has stainless steel saddles and steel block tremelo, a "GOTOH GE108TS" according to our friend Hisashi. See thread: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11667 It does benefit to the tone in my opinion. Also worth mentioning is that this guitar has medium or less C neck and a 9,5 radius. It is the "slickest" neck I have played, it?s like running on ice! It is a pretty fast neck really. Yes, mine has serial no 126***

JohnA said:
All I am saying is I am a bit confused :-? Of the two Bacchus guitars I have, you said they both look like the older pickups, but the resistance shows the S/B one has a lot hotter pickups than the white one, which implies they are different. Mikes are even hotter still.

I was certain that the white guitar had the newer Yuta's, but the info here suggests that these should be hotter than the old ones, the readings from both mine and Mikes suggest the opposite.

I'll take a look at the sunburst guitar, which I'm sure has never been touched, maybe that'll help me understand a bit better.

Cheers :D

You might be a bit confused John - I'm totally baffled! Why all this cloak-and-dagger mystery stuff? That's not how we do things on the forum, we share information to help each other. Don't we?

If my pickups are the earlier ones - the SPs - fine. All I need to know is - were all the SPs as overwound as mine? 7.4k for a Strat bridge pickup is very unusual, particularly on a Strat that is otherwise authentically vintage. I love the sound, but I don't understand why they used such hot pickups. But I want another set!

I'll happily buy a set of Yutas, but only if they are overwound like the ones on my BST-64V. That's the information that I'm trying to find here.

:eek:

I will be happy to measure the resistance in my Yutas, will not be able to do it until sometimes next week because I?m travelling. I am 99,9% sure they are the original pups installed into this guitar new. The serial number is 126***, so it should help you to figure things out. These picups sound HOT, very much like the Fender Texas Specials IMO.

throstur said:
I will be happy to measure the resistance in my Yutas, will not be able to do it until sometimes next week because I?m travelling. I am 99,9% sure they are the original pups installed into this guitar new. The serial number is 126***, so it should help you to figure things out. These picups sound HOT, very much like the Fender Texas Specials IMO.

Thanks for the offer, yes that would be great. The reading from my Bacchus pickups are noticeably hotter than Texas Specials.

I would be happy to measure mine as well. How does one go about doing that? Anyway, I have a 00XXXX numbered strat as well as a 6 digit one. I always heard that the newer ones were supposed to be hotter, yet it always seemed to my uneducated ears that my 00XXXX, which supposedly has the older pickups, sounded "hotter" than my newer "yutas"

btmish said:
I would be happy to measure mine as well. How does one go about doing that?

Excellent. There is so little information about these Bacchi available that everything helps.

Do you have a multi-meter?

btmish said:
I would be happy to measure mine as well. How does one go about doing that? Anyway, I have a 00XXXX numbered strat as well as a 6 digit one. I always heard that the newer ones were supposed to be hotter, yet it always seemed to my uneducated ears that my 00XXXX, which supposedly has the older pickups, sounded "hotter" than my newer "yutas"

That would make total sense, it's exactly what I believe too, but the info that's out there at the moment suggests the Yuta's are hotter than the older ones.

Back