Bacchus BST 64

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave_Mc said:
what i meant about the strat was that, in my personal situation (i.e. limited funds :lol: ) and not having collected all the "classics" yet (i don't have a tele yet, or anything with p90s, and a few others i'm missing too, like an sg, es335 etc.), it wouldn't be terribly sensible for me to have 2 strats, considering buying another would mean I'd have to wait even longer to pick up some of those others. obviously if i had unlimited funds, i'd have several, i certainly didn't mean that you only needed one strat. :lol:

Absolutely, I agree. Gotta have a Tele. :p I was in the limited funds situation myself till a few years ago, so I'm enjoying the luxury of having a little spare cash for guitars now.

I remember reading a quote back in the 80s from the guitarist in XTC (I think), & he said that "you can't have too many Strats" as they all have their own character. I never thought I'd be taking him so literally 20 years later!

Ah, a 335, never owned one.........

:-?

Mike, the pups on your BST have flat poles, which indicates the earlier Alnico SP (special) pickups; the later YUTAs have beveled poles.

You also have the bold green/forest green tone cap, which is the 'norm' for the Alnico SP era; again this indicates the earlier BST range.
The later BST range with the YUTA pups have a pale yellow/baby puke green tone cap.

Everything in your photos does indeed scream BST-64V :)

AFA the pups are concerned, yes, it's all about individual taste; I have played both the earlier Alnico SP models (flat pole tops) & the later YUTAs (beveled poles) and I much prefer the Alnico SPs.

hope you enjoy your Bacchus ....................

Hi MIJ, what do you think these pickups are, they all look the same to me :D

The first shot is a Bacchus BST 54 that I have never had the scratchplate off, the second is a '57 that I was told are Yutas, but they have the coloured dots on the backs like Mikes.

DSC00749.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

stratman323 said:
Absolutely, I agree. Gotta have a Tele. :p I was in the limited funds situation myself till a few years ago, so I'm enjoying the luxury of having a little spare cash for guitars now.

I remember reading a quote back in the 80s from the guitarist in XTC (I think), & he said that "you can't have too many Strats" as they all have their own character. I never thought I'd be taking him so literally 20 years later!

Ah, a 335, never owned one.........

:-?

yeah. not so much limited funds, just limited funds for what i want to do with them... :lol: whihc i guess is more or less the same thing.

i've got an eggle semi-hollow, which gets me into the ballpark of a semi-hollow, so a 335 isn't top of my list, but i wouldn't mind having one eventually.

i'd just say you can never have too many guitars. :lol: unfortunaltely finding room to store them (and time to restring them all) gets to be a problem... :lol:

Thanks MIJ, I was hoping you would contribute to the discussion. I've done a bit of googling, & I'm sure I read somewhere that the coloured dots that my pickups have means they are Yutas. But, I know you know your Bacchi, so what are they? Bacchus own make? And do you know if the SPs and the Yutas are similarly over-wound?

I don't care which they are, but I want to get another set. They could really improve my Goldstar - I hope. And if they don't, at least I'll know that there's something about a Bacchus that a Goldstar hasn't got. I hope not....

JohnA said:
Hi MIJ, what do you think these pickups are, they all look the same to me :D

The first shot is a Bacchus BST 54 that I have never had the scratchplate off, the second is a '57 that I was told are Yutas, but they have the coloured dots on the backs like Mikes.

the tops of the poles on each look flat, not beveled so, my idea is that they would both be the earlier Alnico SP aka Alnico Special models

Also, both the Alnico Specials & the YUTAs have the red, green & yellow dots on the pickup bottoms :eek:

stratman323 said:
Thanks MIJ, I was hoping you would contribute to the discussion. I've done a bit of googling, & I'm sure I read somewhere that the coloured dots that my pickups have means they are Yutas. But, I know you know your Bacchi, so what are they? Bacchus own make? And do you know if the SPs and the Yutas are similarly over-wound?

I don't care which they are, but I want to get another set. They could really improve my Goldstar - I hope. And if they don't, at least I'll know that there's something about a Bacchus that a Goldstar hasn't got. I hope not....

From my experience, both the Alnico Specials & the YUTAs that I have seen have the red, green & yellow dots on the pickup bottoms.
The red dots can also look pink or purple too.

Here is a BST-64V in (none catalog option) black finish, serial number is 010*** so, it's a fairly early example.
This one has the flat pole tops = Alnico SP aka Alnico Special.
Notice the excessive lead lengths on the pickups & the lead wire is slightly smaller in diameter than the leads on the beveled pole (YUTA) examples.
Notice the sloppy nature of the other wiring too, also with excessive lengths.
All of the flat pole examples (Alnico Special) I have seen have these extra lengths of pup leads & somewhat sloppier look of the wiring.
Also notice, one black wire & one gray wire coming off of the assembly to the guitar; black to the trem & gray to the jack.
64blackbacchusunderhood_0001-1.jpg

Here is a BST-62 in (none catalog option) RE aka relic finish which is currently owned by another forum member; serial number is above the 100*** mark so, it's a later example.
This one has the beveled pole tops = YUTA.
Notice the pup leads are cut to an exact length, without any excess length, and the lead wire is slightly larger in diameter than the Alnico Special lead wire.
Notice how nice & neat the wiring in general appears. The wires are tucked down to where they are basically touching against the back surface of the pick guard. There is not a bit of sloppiness in the look of the wiring here.
All of the beveled pole examples (YUTA) I have seen have this similar, very groomed look to the overall wiring.
Also notice the two smaller wires coming off the assembly; both are black, and one is grounded to the body.
The third/larger black insulated piece conceals wiring connected to the jack.
BST-62REelecs.jpg

I assume there is some time frame of over lap in all of this minutia of detail but I have yet to have an example in my hands that differs from the two above main themes.
That however does not take away from the fact that Bacchus guitars in general smoke just about anything out there, IMO ..................

Great, thanks. I see what you mean about the wiring. Did you ever check the readings from the 2 types of pickup?

Diodibuh said:
nice
which year was made?
are the new bacchus good guitars - BST-62C
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bacchus-New-model-BST-62C-ST-CAR-Made-in-Japan_W0QQitemZ230296925732QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or

this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bacchus-Japan-Hand-Made-1P-Ash-G-STUDIO-2T-Burst_W0QQitemZ370092106865QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi,

BST-62C = Not Hand Made.
G-STUDIO= Hand Made.

Thanks in advance.

Well I know the Yutas are available to buy separately, not sure about the SPs though. I guess what I need to know is how different they are.

:eek:

stratman323 said:
Well I know the Yutas are available to buy separately, not sure about the SPs though. I guess what I need to know is how different they are.

:eek:

Care to tell us where?

I'm half considering the Suhr hum killer backplate for my Momose but it doesn't work with reverse wound middle pups which the Momose has.

What do we think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bacchus-Japan-ERIC-CLAPTON-GOLD-LEAF-STRAT-MEGA-RARE_W0QQitemZ330280253378QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330280253378&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Now I like a gold top LP as much as anyone but.............

Dave

DaveWW said:
What do we think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bacchus-Japan-ERIC-CLAPTON-GOLD-LEAF-STRAT-MEGA-RARE_W0QQitemZ330280253378QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330280253378&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Now I like a gold top LP as much as anyone but.............

Dave

I think that's a work of art, lovely!! :D

Hmmm, ?2000 is a lot of dosh for a poly finished Strat! And you can get a secondhand Fender CS Strat for less than that. I think mine was better value.

:wink:

stratman323 said:
Hmmm, ?2000 is a lot of dosh for a poly finished Strat! And you can get a secondhand Fender CS Strat for less than that. I think mine was better value.

:wink:

But its REAL gold!!

JohnA said:
But its REAL gold!!

You would never know that for sure until the top lacquer came off, and once that happened the gold would rub off in days. :wink:

What's wrong with Aztec Gold? Or Shoreline Gold?

A bit too bling for me. :lol:

Looking at it again, it's not really a Clapton Strat is it? Doesn't the Clapton Strat have newer type tuners and US Standard bridge - the Bacchus is vintage style.

You wouldn't dare touch it if you owned it would you?

:lol:

stratman323 said:
Looking at it again, it's not really a Clapton Strat is it? Doesn't the Clapton Strat have newer type tuners and US Standard bridge - the Bacchus is vintage style.

You wouldn't dare touch it if you owned it would you?

:lol:

Not at all, but if It would look great on the wall :wink:

Latest posts

Back