• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Anyone have a white Tokai LP Custom for sale?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezza-j

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a good condition Tokai LP custom, in white.
Would consider the usual Orville, Burny, Greco stuff as well

Cheers
Tez

You missed an 85' on ebay a couple of weeks ago. It was up for about ?450. :cry:

I have an 81' TLC60 that is a real scorcher and with the fancy headstock inlay too. She's faded to a nice creamy colour now and I'm having her upgraded with a refret, a nice pair of 78' Dimarzio PAF's and some vintage 68' LP Custom Klusons. I can't make my mind up if I want creme surrounds or black surrounds.

I like this particular model Tokai because it has a rosewood fingerboard compared to the regular ebony found on most customs. I think she has a twp piece back and top.

cheers Lee. I think I may go down the new from Japan route. I can get a new Tokai for about ?450 all in, including shipping, and then I'll be expecting under ?100 customs charge on top. Cheapest I've seen in the UK was ?719, and I think these are more likely to be around ?799.

Tez

Hi tezza there's this Burny on ebay...might be worth a look.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3700474519&category=47072

cheers, thanks for that. i must own up here and say that I already own a Greco 1980 Les Paul Custom which is in better nick than the one in the picture. However, (and this may offend you vintage guys out there), I'd much rather have one which isn't faded into the yellow colour (mine is) and has some nice shiny gold hardware. Shallow I know....
Also the Greco has the thinner 60's neck and i much prefer the 59 slabs.
The new Tokai's (IMHO) are every bit as good quality-wise as they were at least back in the 90's, so this leads me down the newish-guitar road.
If anyone is interested in the Greco by the way, it will be up on E-bay in a few days (under the same username as mine here). Or if anyone is intersted in her (she sounds and plays fantastic by the way, but my plan is to put Seth Lovers on all my LP's from now on), then drop me a line.

Cheers
tez

Just come up on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3703055649&category=47072

Slight worry is frets down to 7/10 ? may mean a re-fret soon? Ageing of gold plated hardware is clearly genuine though; it?s literally IDENTICAL to wear pattern on my 1974 Antoria/Ibanez 3-pup Custom (owned from new in 1974) :-? .

Ian.

I have my Greco LP custom white up on Ebay at the moment. It's in better nick than the Tokai on Ebay. It's nice and in great condition for its age but I'm really after something which isn't faded into off-white (although I understand that lotsa people like the faded/vintage look)
Last time I played it I swore i wouldn't sell it, so I put it up on Ebay without playing it beforehand. Tough Love!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3702962194&category=2384&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Cheers
Tez

I would suggest that your Greco is a September 89'. Greco's came out of the Ibanez factory and this numbering system is pretty generic.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3703055649&category=47072

This is probably neither here nor there, but why the hell would Tokai put that incorrect headstock inlay on their customs? I've noticed the hs inlay on jap customs is wildly inconsistent, and it makes me nuts.

JB

Hi JB

Yeah I agree, that diamond looks weak. One reason I bought the Antoria was that it has the correct replica Gibson ?split diamond?. That was at least three years before any supposed Lawsuit, however, even at that date (74) most Japanese copies had a crazy unrealistic diamond inlay.

Of course the ?lawsuit? never materialised (against Ibanez) & in any case it was supposed to centre around use of the open-book headstock shape, but I?m pretty sure the initial complaint also concerned use of the Split Diamond - I think it probably scared most makers off.

I apologise for mentioning "Lawsuit", it must be the most overworked & misquoted trick in the salesman's book!

Ian.

very nice indeed, however i'd have to change the pickups to something with an ounce of tone:

Neck Pickup : Gibson 490R
Bridge Pickup: Gibson 500T

Cheers!
Tez

That's a little too white for me. My 81' has gone that nice creamy, off white, needs a wash shade of used to be white but now it's not, if you know what I mean? :-?

"very nice indeed, however i'd have to change the pickups to something with an ounce of tone:

Neck Pickup : Gibson 490R
Bridge Pickup: Gibson 500T"

Mmmmm, must admit to joing the minority on the 500T after a swift change of heart. I picked up a Gibson Les Paul Classic with a 500T at the bridge and must admit I love the sound of this pickup! My initial assessment of this pup was when one came attached to my first Love Rock, and it sounded terrible in that guitar.
Now, in the Gibson, it sounds unbelievable. All the things I said about the Seth's applies to this pup, x2

Humble Pie-Eater, Tez

Latest posts

Back