Anyone else seen this ..??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadguitar_323

Reaction score
Hi all, just received this in an email from a friend,

This comes to me from a lady who is an administrator on the painted ponies forum on ebay, so I know it to be correct.
I do know that ebay has been changing the rules of late, just the beginning apparently.

www.ancientfuture.us

Hi everyone,

In case you have missed all the hype - there is going to be a WORLD-WIDE eBay strike - ie: NO listing, NO selling, NO buying, NO activity, not even people going for a "browse" around!!

The new eBay CEO has recently called us eBay users "nothing but noise" and that eBay is a "flea-market" and he is "ashamed to be apart of it" - the old CEO who has being with eBay for years recently quit and this guy stepped in and UPPED all the eBay fees - and to make matters worse? Paypal is also bringing in a new problem of this 21-day hold on YOUR money.

That's right - you pay someone, they will HOLD your money for 21 days, interest free!!! Which means it's going to be quicker to send people a cheque or money order (even internationally!!)

Outraged yet?

It gets worse.

Please, please please join us all in a week eBay strike from February 18th to 25th - don't even go on eBay to browse!

We do not want to see eBay go down, I personally love listing there, love dealing there, love buying there etc etc, but we do not want to stand for this ballony!! We just want eBay to offically "crap" themselves when we, the TRUE power and sucess behind the site, finally take a stand and show that we really can bring things to a halt and control their precious site - we are voicing our opinions, and trust me, I will one of them screaming as loud as I can!

See more info here on YouTube: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=23TomS5--nQ

Then read the discussion on the official ebay boards to see what you can do including cancelling your paypal account and getting helpful phone numbers and email addresses:http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread...2412195663

The true problem is that buyers will stay because they will not feel the effect of price increases. With no buyer feedback you can technically go on, bid/order things, and never pay for them. As a buyer I can buy things and request a refund with no reprecussions!

The sellers will be getting screwed and the sellers are the ones that will need to find somewhere else to go. But of course, us as sellers need to be where the buyers are.

So you say there is no where else to go? Try these:

Ecrater (our best option and darn near free): http://www.ecrater.com/

Amazon (Amazon is a great price and only gets busier every year): http://www.amazon.com

Bidville: http://www.bidville.com

Want to know how these sites are faring? Here is a great site:http://www.powersellersunite.com/...ewatch.php

So, I know that is a lot of information. We must fight these changes or soon eBay will not exist. If you are a small time seller, take a week off. If you have a store, go on "vacation" for the week.

Lets see what we can do!

Thanks for listening - and please, pass this onto everyone you know!! As a seller myself, I am completely outraged by all of this, and even as a buyer I still feel the same way about this new introduction to the Paypal system - this is why I am passing this onto everyone, my faithful followers of my artwork, people I know from the Equestrian world, and friends I have met online and anyone who has being saved to my contacts list - everyone is included and I beg you to all follow!

Thanks,
Samantha Lloyd
All images, ideas & artwork ? Dream Merchant Designs 2007 & beyond

What do you think..??

Mick

It's about time someone took a stance against ebay! Their fees, espcially with Paypal are robbery, they are no help at all when you have a problem. It would be great if one of these other auction sites caught on, the Yahoo auction format was loads better but for some reason ebay came out on top.

I'll quite happily strike :D

I forwarded it to my missus.
I reckon she single handedly keeps the buying side of EBAY churning along...the bloke at the local post office knew MY name long before I ever knew his due to the sheer volume of parcels arriving via EBAY sellers :eek:

I have a split opinion on eBay & it's policies.

I buy & I sell on eBay so, I see it from both sides of the fence, so to speak.........

I however have more of a problem with individual eBay members that demonstrate their lack of respect for rules & regulations, than I have with eBay itself.

If ALL eBay members would treat other eBay members with the honesty & respect that members of any group deserve, I believe that the issues with eBay itself would be minimized greatly.

Having said that, I do realize that eBay has had it's share of 'issues' but then again, how can eBay successfully police so many members that make a choice to abuse the community?

eBay is like any other organization, they are a slave to the 'bad apples' and the 'honest' members often get shafted.

Could eBay be better, YES but could eBay be worse, YES, much worse..............

I'm quite shocked to hear that Mick. OK, count me in for the strike.

Paypal are the biggest problem already with their absurd fees - that's why I always prefer to collect and pay cash, or have my buyers do the same if it's something expensive, such as a guitar.

Kim Wilson had a great song on his second solo album that applies to eBay - it's called Don't Bite The Hand That Feeds You!

:evil:

Mike

stratman323 said:
Paypal are the biggest problem already with their absurd fees - that's why I always prefer to collect and pay cash, or have my buyers do the same if it's something expensive, such as a guitar.
Mike

It's a big world out there; much bigger than any one person's small community where one can, "collect and pay cash".

eBay has demonstrated this concept by it's very success & it's larger than life profits.

If one is dealing with items such as difficult to locate, rare, and no longer made guitars, then good luck finding them in your own back yard, lol...........

MIJvintage said:
...good luck finding them in your own back yard, lol...........

London's a big place, and there are lots of other decent size places within an hour's drive.....

leadguitar_323 said:
Paypal is also bringing in a new problem of this 21-day hold on YOUR money.

That's right - you pay someone, they will HOLD your money for 21 days, interest free!!! Which means it's going to be quicker to send people a cheque or money order (even internationally!!)

Mick

I have a PayPal account & I use it to buy & to sell.

I have yet to see an example of PayPal holding funds, for either a buying or selling scenario (EDIT) that did not involve some disputed issue

Since PayPal is not a bank but only a middle man that acts as a transfere point, how can PayPal 'hold' funds, unless a seller does not transfere the funds into their own bank account?

I have yet to see PayPal deny me the right to transfere funds from my PayPal account into my bank account.

I reviewed the PayPal policy changes, effective for March, 2008 & there is no mention of this.

I believe this 21 day thing is just some internet BS....................

I once sold a 2x12 Orange guitar cab to a buyer in Greece, Parcelforce (Parcelfarce) lost it, The buyer filed a claim against me through Paypal and they instantly withdrew ?300 from my debit card linked to my paypay account and held it while the dispute was resolved, even though I provided them with proof of postage.

Talking of Parcelfarce, I can confirm that they will not pay out more than ?150 for a claim involving a musical instrument, for either loss or damage, they have happily taken excess insurance from me on several occasions even though I have declared the parcel a a guitar!

Not to sure about "internet BS" {MIJ} the writer lists her contact and buisness a bit risky i would think if it was all BS.. :wink: Never the less interesting, especially if pay pal is considering holding funds , this would slow down transactions at both ends especially high volume sellers.

Mick

MIJvintage said:
why would PayPal want to hold funds, and risk slowing business for thier membership?

The intrest on the money they are holding would make them millions! It's the same with their current Paypal charges, they are robbery! There are other ways of sending money like nochex where tha charges are a lot less, but Paypal/ebay are banking on people sticking with them rather than trying something new.

MIJvintage said:
making interest off of OPM is obvious but why would PP risk losing a loyal membership base over a few pennys?

they already make a killing off of their fees........

It would be a lot more than a few pennies!! They are banking on apathy from their customers, basically joe bloggs will find it easier to put up with the inconvienience rather than change to a different auction site or paying system.

I still don't understand how a middleman (PayPal) could hold funds for 21 days, and expect a seller to ship a sold item, untill the funds are in the seller's bank account; don't get that........

I ONLY ship a sold item 36 to 48 hours after the money has cleared INTO my bank account, after transfer from my PayPal account.

If PayPal is going to do what this sounds like, then my customers will be waiting about a month, before they receive an item.

I believe PayPal will be receiving more than nasty emails & nasty phones calls, after a bit of this...............

Hi Samantha! Hi Mike! Hi ozzer! Hi to all!

Why did you believe that ebay was made for us humble beings in the first place?

Why did you believe that we will ever be part of it?

Why did Meg leave ebay? Or has she been kicked out?

When ebay did their IPO they made it very clear that they will rip everybody. As togps put it one day: you only go to ebay to find out what "the street price really is". You test the water.

ebay is what it is. Obsolete. And a rip-off of course.

So, why bother? 8)

Much better ways to buy and sell......

Cheers and don't despair!
Rup

Back