1992 Tokai LP Junior DC - problem!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicrose

Reaction score
Last week I bought a 1992 Tokai LP Junior DC, action was a little bit too high so I adjusted the guitar to my personal taste. Playability is just real fine at the moment, and the guitar sustains very well. There is just one issue, the dogear pu sits too close to the strings now, approximately 1,5-2 mm, I think. So when I hit the lower E and A string hard near the body, there will be a buzzing sound. The dogear is not adjustable in height as you know. Some vintage Gibson Juniors had the same problem, I read.
Does anyone know if there 's a shorter dogear P90 available so there is enough room between pu and strings, so I can adjust things perfectly?
Anyone with the same experience? What did you do to solve the problem (if possible...) I hope you can help me with some advice, thanks!

hi
any chance you can show some pictures ,,,,, i got what i belive is a tokai made greco ,,, with the same problem,,,, on the greco the pickup has been lowered into the wood so the strings can come closer to the fretboard
see this link about the greco
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15002&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
all the best
otto

Thanks for your reply and the link. So I'm not the only one with that problem. :wink:
I will try to make some pictures of the Tokai Jr, don't know how to post them on the forum, but I will try to figure that out.

hi
any chance you could email pictures to me .... just drop a pm and i can give you my email
all the best
otto

Does your P90 have the dogear tabs on the metal baseplate? If it does, you can put a regular soapbar p90 in and use the dogear cover with a piece of foam under neath and it will be a little farther away from the strings. That was how my 2006 MIJ Epihone Junior came equipped. I had replaced it with an 50's p90 and it got closer to the strings, when I did that but, it worked out for me.

The dogear is directly attached to the body with two screws.
So there is no possibility to lower the pickup cover. The only way to get more space between pu and strings I can think of is to set the warparound stoptail higher, but that will effect playability in a bad way. :(
I'm glad all works fine for you with your Epiphone Junior, enjoy that guitar!

Latest posts

Back