• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB ST-100 neck and Gold Tremolo

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting how the skunk stripe is squared off, but mine is rounded.

The rosewood board Springys I have don't have skunk stripes so I can't compare.

Maybe search the forum?

Looks like some have skunk stripes and some don't. Hmmm.

SN 0000699

Tokai SPRINGY SOUND トカイ ギター ハードケー... - ヤフオク!

"It's a guitar. My father boasted that he bought a vintage guitar for 100,000 or 200,000 yen, but I don't know anything about guitars.
I took a picture of the part where the letters are written, so please see the photo.
I don't know if I can play it, so I'm going to open a store as a junk that I can't play. Fix what needs repair.
It seems that there are other collections, so we will open stores one by one.
Each case will be wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped. Thank you very much."

View attachment 16022
View attachment 16024
View attachment 16027
View attachment 16031View attachment 16030
View attachment 16029
View attachment 16100
View attachment 16101

Modded 1980 ST100R BL ?

SN 0000569

Neck code: 6 = 2A
Body code: 5 = 4 A

Fretboard stamp

TOKAI SPRINGY SOUND 1980 トーカイ 東海楽器 ス... - ヤフオク!

Rare as hen's teeth..... 1980 ST100 with a rosewood board over a flamed maple neck....

1980 Tokai Springy Sound ST100 Sound output NG Springy Sound Stratocaster stratocaster Currently in junk condition

Description of item​
This is a Tokai Springy Sound ST100 with gold parts with a serial number starting with 0 and 100 fret ends. There is some paint loss and discoloration. Rust and dullness can be seen on the TOKAI engraved metal parts. I couldn't check the sound output because one knob was missing. Other items have not been checked, so this item is currently listed as junk that requires maintenance. Please bid on the assumption that the item will be used for research, repair, or as a spare.
Weighs approximately 3.4 kg, nut width approximately 4.2 mm.
Please check the photos for other conditions. Accessories include the brown soft case shown in the photo.

View attachment 54749
View attachment 54745

**** that neck of yours if amazing. In a perfect world I'd hold out for flamed maple neck like yours. But these are already a needle in a haystack to find.

The space between the 1 and the 00 seems consistent on the few I've seen stamped on the fretboard. I'd lean toward legit.

So the hand written numbers around the screw hole are something you have seen before?

I asked the seller if it was nitro. They said they didn't know but if they had to guess, it is.

It has a V neck with the model number stamp. Unless it’s an elaborate hoax it’s an ST100 neck.

It is interesting that the end of the skunk stripe is square and the production stamp is missing. I can’t explain that.

But the pencil marks are seen pretty often on Springys. Usually an H or something that looks like one on the end of the neck usually.

I dunno. There are some anomalies but it’s also a pretty rare thing to see come along of it is legit.

I wonder if you could get better pictures of where the production code should be? Sometimes the stamps are faint. I have an ‘81 ST75R that has a stamp that’s extremely hard to see.

This may have been a special order with the nickel finish on the tuners.

Last edited:
Got it! A three year quest! The last piece of the puzzel. Little over $300, which, if I ordered a comparable neck from Warmoth or Musikraft, it’d likely be at least that (depending on how figured the wood is when I see it in person. I think there is some birdseye and flame on the back.) Plus the nickel, Tokai stamp saddle tremolo and tuners (and neck plate) could fetch a bit all together, so that offsets it. (But I will probably use them to assemble another Tokai body and neck I have.) There just aren’t a lot of these out there, I have looked and looked… cause who separates a St-100 neck from its body, especially these days.

Well it breaks my heart to report that I think the ST-100 neck I got was a fake.

It is a beautiful neck with much more flame than in the photos. But likely a fake none the less. There are too many inconsistencies.

-It is not a very pronounced V at all. I feel it a bit up by the headstock, maybe. (They said it was a V.) I have a Tokai Sharaku Tele neck, now THAT is a V.
-The skunk stripe is too wide.
-The squared off end to that skunk should be round. (Which we noticed, but thought maybe it was anomaly.)
-There is not enough wood beneath the low E tuner.
-The tuner holes are 10mm, which sure maybe they were drilled out later.
-BUT, There is an old impression of a Gotoh octagon tuner and the peg hole required for that.
-Speaking of peg holes for the tuners- it is missing the hole at the 2 o'clock position that Tokai tuners had. As a mater of fact the Tokai tuners it came with have that peg snipped off. (Makes me feel it isn't a mistake they only showed photos with the Tokai pegs installed. That octo impression alone would have stoped me from purchasing it.)
-Not even sure if it is Nitro. Didn't have acetone, but tried a little Nail Polish remover, and though maybe it left a little mark, it certainly was not the melting event I had hoped for. (I'd asked and the seller said, "I am not sure but if I had to guess it is Nitro.")

Decals looked pretty good though even next to originals.

I feel foolish. I should have known from the squared skunk stripe and no heel stamp. But as we saw someone stamped the '100' under the 21 fret. That and the decal, and the Tokai tuners, pictured on it-which should only fit IF there was the extra little peg hole. (Plus the extra tokai parts.) Not to mention they literally said it was a 'V' in the description- made it hard to resist for someone like me who has been looking for 3 years. Maybe the seller didn't know. But at some point in its life someone clearly knew what they were doing. Even if for their own personal guitar that got parted later.

UGH.... I feel sick about it. I am supposed to know my Tokai hallmarks better than this.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bought it through Zen Market.Maybe they could do something, But that would probably require me paying for shipping back across the ocean. can’t hurt to check.

Back