Tokai MIJ 335 id

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodd1000

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. I was hoping someone might be able to help with the guitar below. As I understand the 2003 era es100 and es120 models were differentiated by a flame top on the es120 and plain on the es100. Both poly finish? However the guitar doesn’t have a flame but is labelled es120 in the sound hole? Did this sometimes happen or is this actually a es100 with the wrong label? It also has a digit on the serial number inked over in pen? Is this something I should be suspicious of? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hmmm. So no flame on the top under the CH stain?

The back looks flamed.

3KTbetK.jpg

Maybe someone else knows?

taay2qR.png

wG7fe6T.png

https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-2003-catalogue/

Flamed Maple being more expensive gives you a 120 over a 100 to me but sometimes the flame can be very subtle and only seen in certain types of light and angles. Certainly the case with my flame topped vsb80 and it's very difficult to capture by camera to see what my eyes see. The OP 120 is flamed on the back but I think only the human eye and correct angle of light will reveal the top's secret. High pigment levels in the finish make it even harder.

Nothing to be worried about in regards to model number etc just missing the obvious flame effect but good flame commands good money.

Back