RSG-55 should I restore?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConsenualReality

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member. I recently acquired a Burny RSG-55. It's a Rock n' Roll edition so somewhere between 86-89. The construction is solid and it plays nicely. However none of the parts are original, possibly the pots and input jack,I'm not sure, but certainly nothing else. They replaced the original p90 with a mini-bucker (which sounds good) and didn't require additional routing to increase the cavity size there. The previous owner put a single coil strat-style pickup right below the neck which of course did require routing. There is also a line routed (badly) between the original p90 pickup spot and the new pickup (though it's all concealed by the pickguard. Given that most collectors value is already gone from the parts all being switched, routing, etc, I'm strongly considering stripping the thing down, filling the routed holes, refinishing it, putting a p90 back in, and essentially just redoing the whole thing.

I'm not a Burny collector however I am aware of their great reputation. Given that I'm not an expert on the brand, I though I would reach out for some opinions of those more knowledgeable than myself before taking any action. It still has the the original white finish which has yellowed nicely but also has a number of blemishes.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Realized it's an SG-55, not a RSG-55.

Last edited:
Back